Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #1841
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
That's the difference between semi auto and bolt action.

If he just had a hunting rifle, he would have shot off 5 rounds in the same time he shot 60 in that video.

Chilling.
the other 'nice' thing about a bolt action is you lose your aim as you cycle the bolt so you 5 shots take way way longer than just how long it takes to operate the action
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #1842
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is absolutely heart wrenching watching that video, hearing the regular noises of children and families interspersed with gun fire. Nightmare inducing.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #1843
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
the other 'nice' thing about a bolt action is you lose your aim as you cycle the bolt so you 5 shots take way way longer than just how long it takes to operate the action

Takes a minimum of 2.3 seconds to recycle, and the additional shots will always be worse.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:38 PM   #1844
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Not to take away the absolute horribleness of what's happening in the u.s. but people can be incredibly fast and accurate with bolt action rifles. This guy hit 38 out of 48 bullseyes in under a minute in a competition. He has obviously trained but going to the range to practice is pretty common.

A mass shooting can very easily happen with a 'hunting rifle'. You can buy high capacity magazines for these types of guns in the states.

Yes slower than a semi-auto but the idea that banning semi autos as solving the problem is naive.

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...ifle-shooting/
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:46 PM   #1845
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

Cant imagine this will be up for long

https://youtube.com/channel/UClyYfGgkAs3QtStFAimkRJw

Annnnd it's gone. Was the shooters YouTube channel

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #1846
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The shooter is still on the loose? Apparently identified:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/...parade-gunfire

Yeah that video is hard to watch. Seems like the shooting goes on for a while before it registers with people what it is, then absolute panic.

Edit: apparently the suspected shooter is a somewhat big YouTube rapper:

https://youtube.fandom.com/wiki/Awake

Last edited by blankall; 07-04-2022 at 04:50 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:01 PM   #1847
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Not to take away the absolute horribleness of what's happening in the u.s. but people can be incredibly fast and accurate with bolt action rifles. This guy hit 38 out of 48 bullseyes in under a minute in a competition. He has obviously trained but going to the range to practice is pretty common.

A mass shooting can very easily happen with a 'hunting rifle'. You can buy high capacity magazines for these types of guns in the states.

Yes slower than a semi-auto but the idea that banning semi autos as solving the problem is naive.

Even a good skilled gun enthusiast couldn't do that, I consider myself a terrible shot with a gun but about 5 years ago I got to fire a bushmaster and it showed me a 12 year old could look like a soldier with that thing, light, very fast and accurate as hell, not only that it could be taken apart and fit into a child's nap-sack in 10 seconds. the one I shot only had a 5 round mag but in the states you can get up to 100.

Ban the damn things.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #1848
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Us Sutter View Post
Cant imagine this will be up for long

https://youtube.com/channel/UClyYfGgkAs3QtStFAimkRJw

Annnnd it's gone. Was the shooters YouTube channel
Before, during or after the murders?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:03 PM   #1849
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

wait, so the argument against restricting extended magazines is pointing out the guy that has the current world record for bolt action marksmanship?

Guns will never be banned in the US, that much is certain, but at this point, anything that can limit the shooter's capacity in a mass shooting scenario
would be a step forward.

shooting at static targets in a controlled situation is one thing, shooting at people randomly moving is another.

Most of these shooters aren't trained marksmen. And, obviously, these shooters are sociopaths, so simple human empathy isn't necessarily going to prevent them from pulling the trigger when an innocent person is on the other side of the scope.

Reaching down and swapping out a magazine, in the middle of the chaos, after every 5 shots? Yeah, I think that would have an impact...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #1850
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Which is why people want/use semi-auto as hunting rifles. So when you nick the deer you can get another shot before he's in the bush and runs away and dies later on.

In Canada iirc we are limited to 5 round clips. That doesn't stop someone from getting their hands on a 30 but at least they aren't legal.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #1851
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
wait, so the argument against restricting extended magazines is pointing out the guy that has the current world record for bolt action marksmanship?

Guns will never be banned in the US, that much is certain, but at this point, anything that can limit the shooter's capacity in a mass shooting scenario
would be a step forward.

shooting at static targets in a controlled situation is one thing, shooting at people randomly moving is another.

Most of these shooters aren't trained marksmen. And, obviously, these shooters are sociopaths, so simple human empathy isn't necessarily going to prevent them from pulling the trigger when an innocent person is on the other side of the scope.

Reaching down and swapping out a magazine, in the middle of the chaos, after every 5 shots? Yeah, I think that would have an impact...
This is the thing with these kinds of guns.

They shoot a ton of rounds and really...these guys are just pointing a machine gun at a crowd, closing their eyes and letting fly.

They're not aiming at anyone, they just want to cause hell and these are the ideal tools for the job.

Ban. Them.

Nobody, and I mean nobody who isnt in an active warzone needs a machine gun.

Thats insane.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 05:12 PM   #1852
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Which is why people want/use semi-auto as hunting rifles. So when you nick the deer you can get another shot before he's in the bush and runs away and dies later on.

In Canada iirc we are limited to 5 round clips. That doesn't stop someone from getting their hands on a 30 but at least they aren't legal.
while I decry the wounding of innocent Bambi's as much as the next guy if you can save thousands of humans a year by banning semi auto's then a few wounded Bambi's is a sacrifice I am prepared to make, you'll just have to follow them till they bleed out the way hunters have done for centuries
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #1853
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Before, during or after the murders?
Before. Mostly a bunch of weird teenage-ish videos

Some are archived here

https://awake-the-rapper-archive.blogspot.com/

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:26 PM   #1854
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between Uvalde, Victoria, and the one today, it feels like an awful lot of very young men have been going on mass shooting sprees recently. Disturbing.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:44 PM   #1855
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

would be a step forward.

I wasn't arguing against restricting high capacity magazines. Rather the opposite. I said you can get large round mags for bolt action rifles and do lots of damage with them (even if you aren't the world record holder).

My point was that a bolt action with large capacity magazines can be almost as deadly. So whether it's a semi auto or not, magazine capacity limits would help.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:48 PM   #1856
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

But literally no one thinks this so it's a total straw man.

Banning semi automatic guns increases public safety and lowers the number of casualties in these shootings. It's also a somewhat attainable goal versus something impossible (in the USA) like a total gun ban.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 05:58 PM   #1857
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

People are always going to mistakenly call semi-autos machine guns and others will always argue single actions can be fired just as fast. People will always be able to punch out pins in magazines or fabricate them to carrying high round capacities. Maybe what they need to do is tax bullets and gun powder and make them incredibly difficult to acquire.

None of these are options though. Right-wing politicians and talking heads and justices are just going distract the voting populace with some other bogeyman issue every time and each shooting will be forgotten after the last. Even if they don't fade into collective memory, they will turn into political mudslinging or crazy conspiracies like Sandy Hook where all the victims are either forgotten or slandered into being false flag fake actors.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:02 PM   #1858
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
That's the difference between semi auto and bolt action.

If he just had a hunting rifle, he would have shot off 5 rounds in the same time he shot 60 in that video.

Chilling.

Horrific. ANYONE who spouts off about guns being ‘only’ semi-automatic vs. full auto as if it’s a major safety benefit can f right off
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:09 PM   #1859
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Someone that skilled with firearms is 0.1% of the population? A semi-automatic allows anyone to lay down that rate of fire. If they weren’t available it would make a huge difference to these types of shootings.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 06:11 PM   #1860
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't arguing against restricting high capacity magazines. Rather the opposite. I said you can get large round mags for bolt action rifles and do lots of damage with them (even if you aren't the world record holder).

My point was that a bolt action with large capacity magazines can be almost as deadly. So whether it's a semi auto or not, magazine capacity limits would help.
My bad if I mistook your comments.

I think banning any extended magazines for long guns should be the way forward, and maybe its something that can be done someday in the US when the courts and senate aren't skewed to the Right.

Limiting these magazines to 5 shots in no way prohibits one's "right to bear arms", though I know the Right and NRA doesn't see it that way.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post: