Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #261
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went for the novelty yesterday but ended up thoroughly enjoying it. A few slashes, some side hits and the rail set up made for a great few hours.

Have you been to HCSC before? I did adult camp a few years back and it's a great time! That said, if you've got some interested buddies, and you're not specifically looking for coaching (or the air bag), I'd skip the camp part and just go ride Timberline for the week. When I was there public park was more fun than the HCSC/Windells park and you can still stay in govy and go to the bars to get the rest of the "adult camp" experience.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #262
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I went for the novelty yesterday but ended up thoroughly enjoying it. A few slashes, some side hits and the rail set up made for a great few hours.

Have you been to HCSC before? I did adult camp a few years back and it's a great time! That said, if you've got some interested buddies, and you're not specifically looking for coaching (or the air bag), I'd skip the camp part and just go ride Timberline for the week. When I was there public park was more fun than the HCSC/Windells park and you can still stay in govy and go to the bars to get the rest of the "adult camp" experience.
Yeah I should correct myself, not doing the camp. Just the public park & pipe.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:26 AM   #263
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d have loved to have gone to Sunshine to make a couple of summer turns.

But I’m feeling grateful that after two missed years I got back to Calgary this year and had a wonderful time skiing, watching the Flames and catching up with my closest friends.

I’ll never take that for granted again.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:20 AM   #264
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was a skier I never skied with poles. My kids have learned to ski without poles but my oldest wants poles and was asking last season and is asking again this season. I'm not entirely sure why he wants them because he mostly likes doing jumps and park stuff where poles seem to be pretty useless.

So, when buying poles is there anything I should really be looking for? Pricing seems to be all over the place.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:36 AM   #265
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

How old is the kid? Still growing? Decathalon sells a telescoping kids pole for under $20 I think.

That is a tough price to beat.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #266
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
When I was a skier I never skied with poles. My kids have learned to ski without poles but my oldest wants poles and was asking last season and is asking again this season. I'm not entirely sure why he wants them because he mostly likes doing jumps and park stuff where poles seem to be pretty useless.

So, when buying poles is there anything I should really be looking for? Pricing seems to be all over the place.
Cheapest, the cheapest poles are what you should look for.

You should be able to find used ones at used stores, or just buy new, but cheapest!!

Just makes sure they are sized correctly.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #267
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BAR Ski Swap is going to be the next two weekends in Banff at the railway station.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #268
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
How old is the kid? Still growing? Decathalon sells a telescoping kids pole for under $20 I think.

That is a tough price to beat.
12/13 this season.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:13 PM   #269
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing this thread bumped made me realize I need to get my boots punched a little more and I would like to replace my helmet
Old 10-02-2022, 03:42 PM   #270
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
12/13 this season.
I was there this afternoon, these poles extend to 100 cm. It’s a good deal

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:55 PM   #271
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I was there this afternoon, these poles extend to 100 cm. It’s a good deal
100 might be a little short. Based on the guides I've seen my kid should be around 105 or 110.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:28 PM   #272
RinkRat13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Calgary New and Used Ski Sale is at the end of the month at Max Bell Arena

https://www.skisale.ca/
RinkRat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:08 AM   #273
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone seen the Mountain Collective CAD at par deal pop up for the upcoming season?

Hopefully they do it again given how awful our dollar is.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:20 AM   #274
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Has anyone seen the Mountain Collective CAD at par deal pop up for the upcoming season?

Have not seen it. I was waiting for the offer as well and I have a feeling that it is not going to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 02:20 PM   #275
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post

I bought it at par in early November a few years ago.

Looking at last years emails it looks like they just did a $75CAD off deal around this time.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #276
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I bought it at par in early November a few years ago.

Looking at last years emails it looks like they just did a $75CAD off deal around this time.
They have a 100CAD off deal right now (it is actually $75 USD off the $599 USD price.)
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 01:34 PM   #277
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bump..

So I am looking to get back into skiing and I am gonna probably need new gear. I haven't had anything new since 1998/99 and haven't really been skiing not too much after that.

The reason I might get back into it is because I am thinking about taking the kids (7 & 9) out to give skiing/snowboarding a try this winter. Neither skate or play hockey so thought the slopes might be a good winter hobby.

With all that out of the way, is there a good place to go for new equipment? I don't really want to go to the sportcheks of the world, I want a proper fitting of new gear for myself. Also would Nakiska be good for my kids to take their first lessons? Would a place like Canyon (Red Deer is closer to me) work just as well? Iv'e been out of the game for so long I'm not sure where to start with everything.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #278
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canyon is a great spot to learn if you are closer to there. They also have a great lessons program.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 01:41 PM   #279
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Bump..

So I am looking to get back into skiing and I am gonna probably need new gear. I haven't had anything new since 1998/99 and haven't really been skiing not too much after that.

The reason I might get back into it is because I am thinking about taking the kids (7 & 9) out to give skiing/snowboarding a try this winter. Neither skate or play hockey so thought the slopes might be a good winter hobby.

With all that out of the way, is there a good place to go for new equipment? I don't really want to go to the sportcheks of the world, I want a proper fitting of new gear for myself. Also would Nakiska be good for my kids to take their first lessons? Would a place like Canyon (Red Deer is closer to me) work just as well? Iv'e been out of the game for so long I'm not sure where to start with everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Canyon is a great spot to learn if you are closer to there. They also have a great lessons program.
I agree with Weitz, Canyon when it has good snow can be a fun little hill to rip around, and it has a few hidden gems to ski.

Both my kids learned there and then easily graduated to mountain hills. I can't recall the costs, but I put my two in a private lesson. It was economical and well done. It really accelerated their learning and love of skiing.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #280
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I agree with Weitz, Canyon when it has good snow can be a fun little hill to rip around, and it has a few hidden gems to ski.

Both my kids learned there and then easily graduated to mountain hills. I can't recall the costs, but I put my two in a private lesson. It was economical and well done. It really accelerated their learning and love of skiing.
That's good to know. I was worried that the smaller hill might not have the best lessons, so I will definitely give Canyon a try as soon as the snow allows.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote