Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #3701
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
That's stocks though...2020 ARKK had a 156% return
A blind monkey could have had that kind of return in 2020 as long as they happened to have a decent weight of TSLA in their portfolio (which returned something like 7-800% that year).

But even that blind monkey probably wouldn't have been dumb enough to continue to load up on "innovative" pandemic-bolstered stocks like Peloton, Zoom, Roku, etc. 1.5 years into the pandemic.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:29 AM   #3702
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1537469933587767304
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #3703
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
Think there is enough blood on the streets to start moving back in? I’m thinking of adding small increments on companies with proven track records for long term holds. Anyone else taking this approach.

Of course, it would have been a lot better if I saw the top.
Yes. Time in the market always beats timing the market.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #3704
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Does anyone know of where to learn info on various ETFs? We're getting to a level now (DOW, NASDAQ, S&P, have all lost 20-35% YTD) where I think I'd like to start taking a position on some ETFs that track well with each of the indexes.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 10:19 PM   #3705
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on E3 lithium?
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #3706
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on E3 lithium?
Super mega ultra speculative. They haven't produced a single gram of lithium. Won't have commercial ops before 2025.

If you can get your hands on warrants it might be something to think about.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #3707
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

yeah they're drilling a test well at the moment, so the next few months is really going to tell a lot about the feasibility of the project. I think there's a lot of hidden value however with them piggybacking off of 50 years of well data, and now working with Imperial Oil. If their idea works as expected, then they have a lot of info to know where and what is what. Its quite interesting to follow.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #3708
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I know on lithium exploration, 75mg/L is kinda bare minimum, yet they say that is their average resource. Not really wowed by that.

https://e3lithium.ca/our-assets/resources/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #3709
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

well, they claim to have developed this extraction technology which works through ion replacement vs other methods like evaporation. The end product is 5000 mg/L. The question is whether it will work on a commercial scale or not. They think they can make a 99.5% liOH solution right on site. How true or the hidden details of this process is uncertain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 08:20 PM   #3710
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got burned pretty bad by Cielo. They were pre-revenue, but had an actual facility that was operating.

Probably best to take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

These companies are a dime a dozen and will either be a 10 bagger or you will lose everything you invest. They truly seem to be that binary.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:54 PM   #3711
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hear you. they're 90% garbage and I can't stand the fake news interviews they have to do on YouTube to sell their companies.

For E3, the extraction process works, and there's a lot of benefits to it over evaporation or hard rock extraction. environmentally, purity, etc. they collaborated with these guys in 2018:

https://www.ualberta.ca/folio/2021/0...r-alberta.html

if it works I don't think anything is stopping multitudes or other companies from doing the same thing, but E3 will at least have a couple year head start, and some good properties.

what happened with Cielo?
Old 06-29-2022, 08:33 AM   #3712
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I hear you. they're 90% garbage and I can't stand the fake news interviews they have to do on YouTube to sell their companies.

For E3, the extraction process works, and there's a lot of benefits to it over evaporation or hard rock extraction. environmentally, purity, etc. they collaborated with these guys in 2018:

if it works I don't think anything is stopping multitudes or other companies from doing the same thing, but E3 will at least have a couple year head start, and some good properties.

Well that professor they collaborated with has his own lithium extraction company (its in that article). I don't personally like membrane filtration or ionic exchange for it, too easy to foul with current technology. Maybe E3 or companies like summit nano tech have a solution, but they are on the pilot stage. For economics, it would be more like 50ppm is enough.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:52 AM   #3713
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

To clarify, I think you mean their tech works in a lab?? Scaling and commercializing is TBD AFAIK. I can think of 3 other Li companies trying various different Li extraction tech in AB right now (ion exchange, filtration, etc.). When I was looking a few years ago the problem is that 75ppm is the bare minimum because of the Li slippage through any process. Once you have the 2500-5000ppm concentrate, turning it into Li2CO3 or LiOH is much more straight forward. I think I've seen <30 wells in AB with conc. over 75ppm (of those with Li data obviously, most dont have it).

Another issue is ownership of the brine, wells, liability etc if oil craters again. But that's a totally different discussion.

Was Cielo affiliated with Expander / Rocky Mtn GTL?
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 10:08 AM   #3714
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats the outlook on weed stocks right now? Sitting on a fair bit of cash and willing to do a few high risk buys. Never really bought into the hype but weed stocks have completely tanked and Canopy at 3.60
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:06 PM   #3715
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I mentioned Permex Petroleum a few months ago, I'm pretty excited about them. They just started drilling one of two wells in Texas, one of which is planned to have a horizontal leg. No debt, $8 million cash, entire company currently valued at $15 million cad.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #3716
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone panic selling in this down market? I imagine we aren’t close to the bottom yet.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:56 PM   #3717
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Anyone panic selling in this down market? I imagine we aren’t close to the bottom yet.
Not really. Been sticking to my long term plan and continuing to buy.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 08:08 PM   #3718
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't sold recently, and actually bought AAPL when it was $53 as it's been shown to be resilient.

The market as a whole seems like it's going to go lower just based on fear, but realistically it's off so much from it's highs, that should Russia pull out of Ukraine, I'd think that would take a huge chunk of uncertainty out. Inflation and recession are a foregone conclusion, so how long does this go down for? Complete guess but I'd say Januaryish, then things start to pick back up a little more steadily and slowly.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:42 PM   #3719
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
The only panic selling that I've contemplated would be in response to the Bank of England going full Tropic Thunder like they did today.

Kinda want to hear @Slava take, but they appear to have completely lost the plot.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #3720
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The only panic selling that I've contemplated would be in response to the Bank of England going full Tropic Thunder like they did today.

Kinda want to hear @Slava take, but they appear to have completely lost the plot.
Are you saying I’ve lost the plot or the BoE?! I’m assuming you mean they have?

It’s interesting to me because the BoE had to do something because of the fiscal policy that Truss and her crew are taking. So they dive in, buy bonds and get things stabilized. Someone had to do something because the pound was getting…well, pounded.

This morning jobless claims were lower than expected and it’s risk-off again. I think we have a few more weeks to muddle through and should get some increasing stability with the midterms. These next few weeks might not be great though. (Since people are predicting things, vaguely!)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote