Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #121
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
At the risk of going OT there was a conversation recently about CPS and how having a TAC team was a waste of money when they are rarely used because how often does something like a bank shootout ever happen. I responded to that but will re-state it hear. Years ago we got a tour of the TAC Team facility and one of the things I learned was the team was deployed when executing higher risk warrants which is almost every day. Exactly what happened here by the sounds of it, and they just happened to be in the same vicinity and were able to quickly respond.
I've seen TAC teams deployed multiple times in Vancouver. It's very common to need to bust up drug dens, which typically contain perpetrators on drugs and fire arms, including potentially assault riffles. Sending in regular cops would be a disaster.

Using a TAC team is a pretty confrontational way of policing, and they should be used sparingly, but stating a city the size of Calgary shouldn't have one at all is pretty absurd.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:43 PM   #122
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I wonder what qualifies as as "bank robbery" though. I'm assuming the vast majority of these robberies aren't Heat style fiasco's with gun fights in the street.
They aren't. Most are the 'hand a note' style with no weapon(s) seen, to try to stick to a lesser charge or sentence if caught. Actual "Heat style" robberies are rare these days.

Quote:
Does stealing from a guy at an ATM inside of a bank qualify as a "bank robbery"?
No, that's just theft. Robbery requires person to person contact and at least the implication of violence if the person being robbed doesn't comply.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-29-2022, 02:44 PM   #123
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I've seen TAC teams deployed multiple times in Vancouver. It's very common to need to bust up drug dens, which typically contain perpetrators on drugs and fire arms, including potentially assault riffles. Sending in regular cops would be a disaster.

Using a TAC team is a pretty confrontational way of policing, and they should be used sparingly, but stating a city the size of Calgary shouldn't have one at all is pretty absurd.
Yup. That is why I don't see a problem with Calgary having ONE ARV, but more/a fleet is ridiculous.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #124
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
They aren't. Most are the 'hand a note' style with no weapon(s) seen, to try to stick to a lesser charge or sentence if caught. Actual "Heat style" robberies are rare these days.

No, that's just theft. Robbery requires person to person contact and at least the implication of violence if the person being robbed doesn't comply.
taking money from a guy in an ATM is robbery not theft as no one is just going to hand over the money without some form of threat or use of force, taking the ATM out of the wall though, that's theft
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 04:27 PM   #125
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can tell you from experience that within the past couple of years, most are not 'hand a note' style with no weapons. Due to our justice system we've had returnees who feel safe enough to walk in with a weapon in full view and yell what they would like done and who needs to do it. Those robbery's are more common than you think however they don't want it to be known
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #126
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I can tell you from experience that within the past couple of years, most are not 'hand a note' style with no weapons. Due to our justice system we've had returnees who feel safe enough to walk in with a weapon in full view and yell what they would like done and who needs to do it. Those robbery's are more common than you think however they don't want it to be known
How much actual cash can you actually get from robbing a teller?

I mean...I can barely get cash from a teller when its genuinely and legitimately my own money, I cant imagine robbing them being all that lucrative.

I just envision them rustling through their own pockets...

"I've got...$30, a small bottle of hand sanitizer and some tic-tacs."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:45 PM   #127
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You are very close on that Locke. With digital funds now, banks do not carry much money as both a safety precaution as well as cost. Banks are not where the money is.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:50 PM   #128
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
You are very close on that Locke. With digital funds now, banks do not carry much money as both a safety precaution as well as cost. Banks are not where the money is.
"Excuse me sir...now that you have some money, would you like to open an account and make a deposit?"

I mean...Banks and Insurance companies are the real thieves in our soceity...is robbing them really theft? Or is it just a circuitous re-allocation?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-29-2022, 05:19 PM   #129
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. If you need to tell your bank in advance for a large withdrawal, it should be obvious to these robbers that a bank is a dumb place to target. Though I suppose the safety boxes might have stuff...

Last edited by activeStick; 06-29-2022 at 07:09 PM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #130
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Yeah. If you need to tell your bank in advance for a large withdrawal, it should be obvious to these robbers that a bank is a dumb place to target. Though I suppose the safety boxes might have stuff...
Even those are going away. Most new banks don't even carry them. I think that we are currently at 40% utilization and decreasing. Cyber crime is where it's at
Old 07-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #131
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

They released the names of the shooters in the Victoria bank robbery (though it doesn't really look like a robbery at this point). 22 year old twin brothers, one of which had a social media profile full of guns and anti-Trudeau posts; also some anti-vax stuff in there too.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/saanich-b-c-gu...tags-1.5971975
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #132
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

That’s sad, that’s not what 22 year olds should be doing.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:48 AM   #133
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, yeah, things are going well out here. Apparently Victoria is just slightly behind at about $150k/year. Median household income in BC is currently just over $50k annually.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1550290190370975745
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #134
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that for detached houses or any home?
And I assume in municipal Vancouver, not Greater Vancouver?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #135
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I would assume so. Even if you change it to a 1-bedroom condo, you still need a household income of about $135k with a 20% down payment.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:20 PM   #136
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
A quick look online shows "the benchmark price of homes in Metro Vancouver was $1,235,900 in June 2022"... to qualify for that, with 20% down, you'd need the income stated in the tweet...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #137
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So, yeah, things are going well out here. Apparently Victoria is just slightly behind at about $150k/year. Median household income in BC is currently just over $50k annually.

Median individual income and average SFH are bad comparisons to use when accessing or comparing housing affordability.

If you want to discuss SFHs you should be using median family income against Median SFH. You should also be using the greater Metro area and not just metro Vancouver proper.

Even when you do this their is likely still affordability issues but it’s a much more reasonable comparison.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:29 PM   #138
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

Well thats one way to Gatekeep out the riff-raff. Just price them out and have a 'Rich People Only' Utopia.

I just think the average people of Vancouver are whiners. Always complaining about the cost of housing and food, etc.

You dont see the Hobos and Vagrants complaining this much!! They find places to sleep and food to eat and they manage it all while dealing with debilitating substance abuse issues!

Get off your high horses Vancouverites! Maybe consider developing a debilitating substance abuse issue yourself! It seems to be working out!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 12:30 PM   #139
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you want affordable living move to Crossfield.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #140
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some of those setups could be rented out for $1K a month!

https://globalnews.ca/news/8973620/v...eet-tent-city/
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world