Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2022, 04:29 AM   #41
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Steven Dubois (thankfully) cruises through his 500m heat (his specialty), as he continues a strong Olympics after coming off a shocking Silver in the 1500m.

Jordan Pierre-Gilles also advances.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 05:15 AM   #42
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Yea, definitely an excellent debut, and the goaltending was other-worldly, but just watching them with the puck on stick hurt my soul
I watched from the start, their passing and breakouts were pretty good but lacked speed. They could not get into the middle. Third period they were gassed from all the chasing. Still a great effort. They were expected to lose by 10.

It gives me hope for Japan against Finland.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 05:19 AM   #43
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Team Canada advances to the Finals in the Men's 5000m Short Track Relay after a wild Semi's.

They're pretty big favorites to win Gold to the point that anything less would be a sleight disappointment.
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 06:41 AM   #44
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sarah Fillier is RIDICULOUS
Old 02-11-2022, 06:48 AM   #45
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too funny Canada's PK being so dominant they had icing called on them.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:50 AM   #46
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russia had a steal of 6 against Denmark in the curling. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Canada and the Swiss tied at 3 in the 7th.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:50 AM   #47
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Might just be bias, but it looks to me like the women are scoring way more goals on the strength of their shots these days, rather than just off screens and in close.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:59 AM   #48
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

11-0 Canadian women's hockey team defeats Sweden

I am once again calling for this sport to be removed from future Olympics.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:09 AM   #49
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post

I don't know about that, but when people are applauding the performance of a team (Czechia) that gets outshot 58-6 in a playoff round game, the bar seems too low for praise. If a team were to fluke out a win in a situation like that, it would be bad for the sport.

I'm not cheering against the US until they play Canada. The Canada vs. US games are what makes the sport worth watching.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 09:32 AM   #50
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't know about that, but when people are applauding the performance of a team (Czechia) that gets outshot 58-6 in a playoff round game, the bar seems too low for praise. If a team were to fluke out a win in a situation like that, it would be bad for the sport.

I'm not cheering against the US until they play Canada. The Canada vs. US games are what makes the sport worth watching.
That's the thing. We are 20+ years into this and its still just a US vs CAN match up.

Just make this a US vs. CAN showdown once a year and be done with this disaster already.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:39 AM   #51
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

Well when a QF between a powerhouse and a rookie, 3-1 is respectable. Shot count notwithstanding. You have to see where starting points are. Czechs were nowhere and have been rising for a few years now.

But the main problem that should be criticized is that the Finns, Russians and Swiss aren't improving and the Swedes have totally gone in the tank. If hockey in those countries refuse to fund it properly, it's time for teams like Japan and the Czechs to replace them and possible give the US and Canada a go.

The event is never going to be removed because the Olympics are going for more women's sports not less.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #52
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Well when a QF between a powerhouse and a rookie, 3-1 is respectable. Shot count notwithstanding. You have to see where starting points are. Czechs were nowhere and have been rising for a few years now.

But the main problem that should be criticized is that the Finns, Russians and Swiss aren't improving and the Swedes have totally gone in the tank. If hockey in those countries refuse to fund it properly, it's time for teams like Japan and the Czechs to replace them and possible give the US and Canada a go.

The event is never going to be removed because the Olympics are going for more women's sports not less.
You can't ignore the shot count. That game was not competitive. Like a prize fighter that gets pounded on for 12 rounds and can't land a punch. There is nothing good or entertaining about that.

I have no idea what the funding is for women's hockey in any of those countries and not going to criticize them for it. Just hard to ignore the reality that this is not a competitive tournament.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:16 PM   #53
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post

The only way women's hockey is removed is if all of hockey is removed from the Olympics, and that is never going to happen.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote