Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Air Canada Bid Upgrade

Is anyone familiar with Air Canada's bid upgrade system? I got an email today that my flights (Calgary-Montreal, Montreal to New York then New York to Toronto and Toronto to Calgary) are available for bid upgrade. It sounds like I can choose one or more of the flight segments and offer to pay something to upgrade to premium economy or business class and if my bid is accepted, I get it.

Does anyone know how this works / if it's worth it? I'm thinking the Calgary legs are the ones to bid on, as the other ones are pretty short flights so it wouldn't matter much. I plan to take carry-on only, if that makes a difference.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be very wary of the prices. You may be best just get the last minute upgrade when you check-in, they're regularly cheaper.

I've done it a handful of times, always bid the lowest amount, and received it around 80% of the time (Mostly flights from YYC to YYZ/YUL/YOW). Usually around $100 per hour of flight time is considered reasonable from what I've read on other boards.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

So do they give you options of what you can bid or can you just choose a number at random?
Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
So do they give you options of what you can bid or can you just choose a number at random?
They have a minimum that you have to bid and I think they have a max too. It's a sliding scale thing. Usually weekday morning flights, etc. (especially out east) are A LOT more expensive with the business crowd and such.

I would recommend if you're flying on a Max 8 that you splurge and get it. That was definitely a treat and the best business class experience I've ever had.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #5
Salisbury
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Chose a segment that you would like to upgrade, probably Calgary-Montreal, click on the links to upgrade, then offer what you are prepared to pay. There is an "offer meter", chose the minimum amount, if this amount is within your budget then make the offer. (or more depending on your desire and budget)
It is possible to cancel that offer right up to 48hrs prior to departure (If I recall correctly). Around that 48 hour mark if your bid is successful, you will be upgraded and emailed, your cc will be charged. Once upgraded you will given all the perks of a business class ticket, except your Aeroplan rewards, which will be the same as the original purchasing class.
Salisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the information jar_e and Salisbury!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
Salisbury
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Be very wary of the prices. You may be best just get the last minute upgrade when you check-in, they're regularly cheaper.

I've done it a handful of times, always bid the lowest amount, and received it around 80% of the time (Mostly flights from YYC to YYZ/YUL/YOW). Usually around $100 per hour of flight time is considered reasonable from what I've read on other boards.
Just an added comment to the above. I agree with the suggested rate, but I have often seen the minimum bid lower the "last minute upgrade price".

Just for a data point, the minimum bid for Calgary-Vancouver is often around $139, not really worth it for an hours flight.

An example of a successful bid is on Vancouver-Taipei from Premium Economy to Business for $600 for a 11-12 flight. (this was on an original PE sale ticket price). It was an amazing flight and worth it. Obviously if this is something you cant afford then it all is irrelevant.
Salisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salisbury View Post

An example of a successful bid is on Vancouver-Taipei from Premium Economy to Business for $600 for a 11-12 flight. (this was on an original PE sale ticket price). It was an amazing flight and worth it. Obviously if this is something you cant afford then it all is irrelevant.
That sounds like a great upgrade! I'd definitely do it for an international flight. It looks like the minimum for Calgary-Montreal is $450 for business class.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:52 AM   #9
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Whenever I've flown the minimum price on the bid wasn't worth it (in my opinion at least). Although they've been all fairly short haul domestic flights (ie Halifax to Toronto).

Reading the FlyerTalk thread on BidUpgrades the consensus seems to be that Last Minute Upgrades are cheaper.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...early-bid.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ir-canada.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-upgrades.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ades-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...questions.html

You could also look to see what the fare difference is between the upgrade and the ticket you paid. If it's the same or cheaper call up Air Canada and get them to upgrade your ticket. From what I understand this is done at no charge, only the fare difference as you're giving them more money.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote