Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2023, 11:12 PM   #1141
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Only if they win the Super Bowl. Otherwise he’s the guy who can’t get it done when it counts. Dynasty of one.
In that regards though in the modern era there is Brady and then everyone else.

Rodgers only has one. Manning only had one in Indy them went to Denver for a second. Brees only has one.

This Eagles team is pretty elite and might be better in every area of the field except for QB. No shame in losing in the finals to another elite team.

I hate when this argument is made against Lebron too. For some reason we like to punish generational talents who can get to championship games consistently but lose.

Like somehow its better to lose earlier in the playoffs instead of the finals because then you have an unblemished finals record.

Also he's only 27 - lots of career left.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-30-2023 at 11:15 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:37 AM   #1142
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But it's not "Brady and everyone else", it's "The Patriots and everyone else". Brady won two Super Bowls where he produced 10 and 13 offensive points. Brady's argument for the greatest is essentially his clutchness, because he's often played on teams with outstanding, top 10 or higher defenses. Ironically the two years they had their best offenses were the Eli the Conqueror years. But Mahomes has never had a defense that could overcome him being anything short of elite. And this year ended any notion of "it's the weapons", he's made the Super Bowl with Brady-level weapons, but a worse defense than Brady generally had (2017 being the exception).

If we played the old "Trading Places" game I have hard time believing Mahomes wouldn't have won six rings in New England if he didn't have the kinds of defenses Brady had. He might have even won more because to me his higher end is higher than Brady's (so were Peyton and Rodgers, for that matter). That's not a knock on Brady, but the other three just have more arm talent. Peyton and Rodgers have the choker label, somewhat deservedly. Mahomes, at this point, really doesn't. I don't even think he needs seven rings to be considered the greatest, four rings with all the records and the eye test will suffice.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:24 AM   #1143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I'm sure its been mentioned but Kansas City are the first team ever to host 5 straight AFC Championship games...and just happens to be Mahomes first 5 years as a starter, and they made the Super Bowl in 3 of them.

I've said it before in this thread but the guy is actually underrated I think.
I think he's right where he deserves to be. Remember he's also got the Andy Reid bump. Just look what happens when their backups go in. They barely miss a beat. Mahomes is great but we won't know how great he is until Reid retires and he plays under a regular head coach and OC that's not the best offensive mind in the history of the NFL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:49 AM   #1144
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think this is Mahomes best season to date, but it's hard to call him underrated. He is the Alpha of what looks to be a really good group of AFC QB's who are establishing themselves as the premier guys at the position. He's probably done enough already to be a Hall of Famer too.

But guys like Hurts and Burrow both have been to one Superbowl too and two more shots on their rookie deals with solid rosters too.

Will be interesting to see how he ages. He really had to dig deep at 27 to get thru this past game. When he's 35 and not this level of athlete how will he compare to the new guys? The standard for the guys playing the position seems to be increasing every year. Yes pocket guys will rule the league by in large...but these aren't Peyton Manning or Phillip Rivers...these young guys can all run and bowl guys over when they have to.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:08 AM   #1145
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philip Rivers!!!

One of these guys is not like the others
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:16 AM   #1146
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mahomes lead the league this year in passer rating from the pocket, so he's exceptional at that as well. But with running he's like Rodgers was in his prime, he's not a guy who is a true running threat, but play man and leave the space and he will take it and surprise you with how quick he is. I think the last two years where he's been forced to dink and dunk more because teams have tried to take away the big plays have shown he's pretty adaptable. It's more when the arm talent goes from maybe the greatest ever to just another guy is when it'll be interesting to see. But I also think he's shown he's a pretty damn smart QB too.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:00 PM   #1147
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

To go back to that bengals penalty out of bounds hit it can also be said Mahomes has a habit of faking running out of bounds then keeping going. IIRC he did that in their Super Bowl win. If you wanna play that game you should be considered a runner no more QB protection for you and if you get a shove just out of bounds then thems the breaks
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 05:31 PM   #1148
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Philip Rivers!!!

One of these guys is not like the others
not easy to overcome the poverty franchise that is the Chargers. If big ben or eli played there, they would have the same amount of rings
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 10:32 AM   #1149
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any degenerate gamblers here that can help me out?

I am heading to BC to watch the SuperBowl with buddies this weekend. What are my options for betting on the game out there?

Is there a sports betting app I can use while out there even though I don't live in BC?
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:28 AM   #1150
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Any degenerate gamblers here that can help me out?

I am heading to BC to watch the SuperBowl with buddies this weekend. What are my options for betting on the game out there?

Is there a sports betting app I can use while out there even though I don't live in BC?
Bet365.

Ive been using it throughout Canada and have had no problems.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:41 AM   #1151
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
To go back to that bengals penalty out of bounds hit it can also be said Mahomes has a habit of faking running out of bounds then keeping going. IIRC he did that in their Super Bowl win. If you wanna play that game you should be considered a runner no more QB protection for you and if you get a shove just out of bounds then thems the breaks
Yeah and that’s fair. But Mahomes was out of bounds entirely. Not sure how you fake at that point, when you’ve got two feet in the white paint.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:53 AM   #1152
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was considered a runner, there was no special QB protection there. We've seen plenty of non-QBs get that call for being hit/pushed on the white, including twice the week before in the Cowboys-Niners game. Timing is the only reason there's "controversy" or whatever to the play, because it essentially ended the game. It was stupid, it was obvious, it shouldn't result in any rule changes just because it cost the Bengals the game.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:44 AM   #1153
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's go Chiefs.

Love Mahomes and Andy Reid is probably the best coach of all time if we take out the cheating scandals.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:56 AM   #1154
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough to choose today, as I feel Eagles are the better team, but going against Mahomes - even not fully healthy - doesn't seem wise. Picking Chiefs, if only just because I'm cheering for them.
(I like Eagles too traditionally, but they've been relentlessly chirping Saints fans all season on the socials after every L, so I'm ok seeing them take one of their own today should it happen haha)
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:07 PM   #1155
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this normal in the NFL? You'd figure the league would tell teams to hold off from any non-Suoer Bowl talk, especially when the guy is involved in the big game

https://twitter.com/user/status/1624808215920758784
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #1156
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I pick the Eagles to win and the total to be under 51 points.

Obviously cheering for K.C. but ghis is a tall order. Rumors of a flu like bug hitting the Chiefs which could make it even tougher. The Eagles are the best team in the league on both lines. K.C. is actually very good there too, but the Eagles are a lap ahead of the field there. The depth of their D Line is absurd, and I think Andrew Wylie is really going to get picked on. Mahomes might be running for 400 yards behind the line again today.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #1157
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dont really care for either team, but maybe leaning Chiefs. Both sets of fans are pretty tough to stomach
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 01:01 PM   #1158
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is unbelievable.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1624854712565788673
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 01:51 PM   #1159
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Patty, save us!!!
Old 02-12-2023, 02:15 PM   #1160
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they were playing any other QB but Mahomes I'd feel 95% confident in an Eagles win. But even Mahomes at 80% is in the conversation for best QB in the league, so he offers more hope than any other QB. Even if he can't scramble like he could at 100%, he is still absolutely elite in the pocket, as long as he can shift in the pocket to buy time he is still lethal. And there's the whole Andy Reid bye week record, always hard to ignore a guy with such a dominant record in this situation. He's been a bit too reliant on Mahomes since he took over as QB, today feels like he needs a more robust game plan, using the screen game will be big.

But I mostly think the Eagles win because they have more ways to win. Hurts can have a bad day throwing, and they can dominate on the ground. They could struggle on the ground and win it in the air. Or they can struggle completely on offense and have their defense ball out and steal it for them. I only see one path to the Chiefs winning, and while it is riding Mahomes greatness, as we saw back in SB55 even that isn't necessarily enough. I can't see the Chiefs running game winning this, and I can't see their defense stealing it.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-12-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote