Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2022, 10:55 PM   #201
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

How has Zohorna looked? I see that his point totals are respectable, although not eye popping. How are the other elements of his game?
Old 11-25-2022, 12:25 AM   #202
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
How has Zohorna looked? I see that his point totals are respectable, although not eye popping. How are the other elements of his game?
Scorpion can speak on this better than me, but the one Wranglers game I attended had Big Z getting 3a, and a 5 minute major for fighting. I came away impressed. He moves quite well for a big man, was physical, and seemed to be quite involved. He looked a bit more like a perimeter player in the pre-season for the big club. He had 5 points in his first 4 games, then went on a 5-game pointless streak.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #203
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

13 goals in 17 games played. It would be criminal if Phillips doesn't get a legit NHL shot with the Flames.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #204
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Walker Duehr!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:49 PM   #205
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
13 goals in 17 games played. It would be criminal if Phillips doesn't get a legit NHL shot with the Flames.
Who comes out of the lineup for Phillips to slot in? Where does Sutter play him in the lineup? Remember, this is still a Sutter team playing a Sutter system that relies on certain attributes. Not only where does Phillips play, but HOW does Phillips fit in the style being played?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:55 PM   #206
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Who comes out of the lineup for Phillips to slot in? Where does Sutter play him in the lineup? Remember, this is still a Sutter team playing a Sutter system that relies on certain attributes. Not only where does Phillips play, but HOW does Phillips fit in the style being played?
Lol

Who led this team in scoring last year playing a Sutter system that relies on certain attributes? Was it Tkachuk? Was it Lindholm? Was it Lucic? Was it Toffoli? Maybe it was Monahan.

Who led this team, and the entire NHL in es goal differential with 118 GF and 52 GA harkening back to differentials not seen since names like Wayne Gretzky, while playing Sutter's system?

Whose system do you think the Flames' AHL affiliate plays?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-25-2022 at 05:04 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #207
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Mangiapane would be my choice for now. Absolutely useless so far this season.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:41 PM   #208
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

We asked Jakob Pelletier a couple days ago how he's adjusted to playing in the Wranglers' system after playing for Darryl in camp — he blinked and said, "I'm pretty sure it's the same."

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #209
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Lol

Who led this team in scoring last year playing a Sutter system that relies on certain attributes? Was it Tkachuk? Was it Lindholm? Was it Lucic? Was it Toffoli? Maybe it was Monahan.

Who led this team, and the entire NHL in es goal differential with 118 GF and 52 GA harkening back to differentials not seen since names like Wayne Gretzky, while playing Sutter's system?

Whose system do you think the Flames' AHL affiliate plays?
Is the name Matthew Phillips? If not, move along. Matthew Phillips is NOT Johnny Gaudreau. Not even in the same universe. At the same point in his career, Johnny Gaudreau had 73 goals and 204 points in the NHL under his belt and was entering a PPG season. The two are not comparable. Not even remotely close.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 05:58 PM   #210
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitix View Post
When we get back to Calgary - waive Rooney, bring up Phillips, give him 5-8 games in the top 9 to see if he sticks:

Hub - Lindholm - Phillips
Ruzicka - Kadri - Toffoli
Mang - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic/Ritchie - Dube - Lewis/Ritchie

Or, if Sutter wants to keep Ruzicka with Lindholm/Toffoli:

Ruzicka - Lindholm - Toffoli
Hub - Kadri - Phillips
Mang - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic/Ritchie - Dube - Lewis/Ritchie

Also, could try Phillips with Ruzicka in between Kadri as they had great chemistry in the AHL.
These lines would be awesome. Preserve the blatant chemistry between Toffoli and Ruzicka. Give Huberdeau a defensive centre and a quick offensive winger to play with, much like his success with Bennett and Duclair. Reunite the one line qe had last year that had no business being separated.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 05:59 PM   #211
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is the name Matthew Phillips? If not, move along. Matthew Phillips is NOT Johnny Gaudreau. Not even in the same universe. At the same point in his career, Johnny Gaudreau had 73 goals and 204 points in the NHL under his belt and was entering a PPG season. The two are not comparable. Not even remotely close.
Guess what

You are talking about 'attributes' and 'style' and 'systems' now you are changing the goalposts as you are wont to do.

But tell me more about how Sam Bennett is a plug being propped up by Hall of Famer Jonathan Huberdeau the likes of which Gaudreau cannot compare.

NOW - tell me which attributes Gaudreau possesses that make him have a legendary career year under Sutter. And which attributes Phillips lacks that would prevent him from playing that style.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-25-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:01 PM   #212
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think any one is expecting gaudreau . but you have an unnecessary hate on for the guy because of his stature that might be a bit beyond reason

hes on pace for 55 goals and near 100 points

you sure NONE of that translates at this level ?

if they give him a real shot I think you will be eating crow

sometimes a player is playing so well that they can't be denied, no matter all the things working against them .. that appears to be the case with Matthew Phillips right now
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 06:16 PM   #213
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, give Phillips a shot and see what he can do. It's an NHL game, not a goddamn apocalyptic history-altering decision that will cause world markets to collapse.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 06:24 PM   #214
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Who cares about dumbass Gaudreau? Phillips needs to beat one of a handful replacement players currently logging big minutes on the Flames. You can take any of those guys out without hurting the team AT ALL. Yeah, we're really screwed without a non-fighting Lucic.
Redrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 06:27 PM   #215
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He probably won’t get a shot because he doesn’t shoot it in the goalie’s chest enough
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:00 PM   #216
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
NOW - tell me which attributes Gaudreau possesses that make him have a legendary career year under Sutter. And which attributes Phillips lacks that would prevent him from playing that style.
Gaudreau is a vastly superior skater, a better passer, has a better shot, thinks the game better, and plays the game at a higher tempo. Its why Gaudreau has played 621 games and has 627 points under his belt why Phillips has played one and is still in search of a real opportunity to stick in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I don't think any one is expecting gaudreau . but you have an unnecessary hate on for the guy because of his stature that might be a bit beyond reason

hes on pace for 55 goals and near 100 points

you sure NONE of that translates at this level ?

if they give him a real shot I think you will be eating crow

sometimes a player is playing so well that they can't be denied, no matter all the things working against them .. that appears to be the case with Matthew Phillips right now
Yeah, check the OP. I started the thread and identified Phillips as the guy who deserves first call up. I don't hate the guy, I just know the challenge he is going to face and how hard it is for a player to jump between the leagues and it how unlikely a player is going to experience similar success at the next level. A player of Phillips stature is unlikely to sustain his minor league success in a league where every player is bigger, stronger, faster, and faster than the one he currently plays in. It is just such a big leap and the team would have to believe Phillips is a long term to give him such a shot.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:03 AM   #217
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Phillips might be closer to Austin Czarnik than Gaudreau, but I would still like to see him get a fair shot with the big club on one of the top-2 lines. Lets see what we have-it's not like every other player on the team is producing with any consistency...
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 12:20 AM   #218
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Johnny Gaudreau probably wouldn't be the Johnny Gaudreau we know now if his first pro coach was Sutter, Hartley gave him a long rope at the beginning of his first season, I'm not to sure Sutter would have.

It's well documented Scotty Bowman didn't think much of Pavel Datsyuk because of his size but it didn't take him long under another coach to become a star.

The way this team is playing I fail to find a reason to not call up a little energy bug for a few games, waive Rooney and drop Mangiapane down the lineup until he gets over his new riches and starts playing again.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 12:28 AM   #219
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yeah third and fourth by basically equal amounts which leaves the top six on the ice less

Chart I whipped up ...

That chart to me is a big part of why we're not optimized as a team right now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:29 AM   #220
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Well, get ready to call the police.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: