Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2023, 08:09 AM   #1321
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still eagerly anticipating Tkachuk's first playoffs with the Panthers as he brought less in the playoffs than Gaudreau or Monahan did. In fact he largely just disappeared.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:30 AM   #1322
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I agree there was no better deal on paper for Tkachuk at the time the deal was made but Friedman has stated that the Canes were the runners up with Necas on the table who just turned 24 and has 47pts in 51 games.
Really depends what the secondary piece is too.

I doubt Canes were offering pieces equivalent to Weegar and a 1st on top of Necas.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:50 AM   #1323
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing people are forgetting when comparing the deals is that the Panthers package also implicitly included (if it was ever to be considered a good deal) signing both these guys to huge deals (or flipping them but that wasn't in the cards). How much is nearly 17 million in cap space worth? That's 20% of your cap. No other deal would have required the Flames to spend that space and spend it on two close to 30 years olds and sign them to retirement contracts.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 08:53 AM   #1324
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

I think he's right but a bit over the top saying this is what Huberdeau is when he's on pace for 60 something points. Huby still easily has the ability to get back to PPG given the right role.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:03 AM   #1325
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I disagree with the video, Huberdeau's issues this season are absolutely not from the lack of trying. He is putting in more effort than he ever did in Florida but he is trying to adapt his game to what Sutter wants him to play and he is struggling with the offensive part of it.

Everyone I have talked to about Huberdeau who actually seen him play for the Panthers and have seen him play now, say that this is a completely different player that is trying to change his game. It has nothing to do with the effort, Huberdeau is an amazing competitor and I have no doubt that he will be back to a PPG player next season.

Did Huberdeau coast in Florida sometimes? Yes absolutely, he still got the points and nobody really cared how he played. Here he is clearly trying and not getting the points for the first time in his career, imaging how frustrating and demoralizing that is, hockey is a confidence sport, anyone who has played it at a high enough level knows that.
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naitix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 09:44 AM   #1326
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

These videos and articles now are just click bait and piling on...I'm sure they felt the same way when he was the leading scorer on the presidents trophy winners by 30 points. Four straight seasons over PPG ect.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:53 AM   #1327
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm still eagerly anticipating Tkachuk's first playoffs with the Panthers as he brought less in the playoffs than Gaudreau or Monahan did. In fact he largely just disappeared.
I'll definitely agree with this, Tkachuk was the biggest disappointment to me the last couple of playoffs. I thought his game would translate exceptionally well into the playoffs when we need him most, but he just ended up being a nonfactor for the most part. That fight was just plain dumb on his part especially.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverKast For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 10:05 AM   #1328
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I will be interested to see that too. Still a young player so he has time to change that narrative.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 10:07 AM   #1329
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

He will likely be at least 26 by the time he plays in the playoffs again
Old 02-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #1330
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitix View Post
I disagree with the video, Huberdeau's issues this season are absolutely not from the lack of trying. He is putting in more effort than he ever did in Florida but he is trying to adapt his game to what Sutter wants him to play and he is struggling with the offensive part of it.

Everyone I have talked to about Huberdeau who actually seen him play for the Panthers and have seen him play now, say that this is a completely different player that is trying to change his game. It has nothing to do with the effort, Huberdeau is an amazing competitor and I have no doubt that he will be back to a PPG player next season.

Did Huberdeau coast in Florida sometimes? Yes absolutely, he still got the points and nobody really cared how he played. Here he is clearly trying and not getting the points for the first time in his career, imaging how frustrating and demoralizing that is, hockey is a confidence sport, anyone who has played it at a high enough level knows that.
I don't think Sutter is telling him to stand around, not carry the puck, and dish it off the second he gets challenged. His individual effort have been noticeably absent for the most part this season.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 02-08-2023 at 01:16 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 11:18 AM   #1331
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don't think Sutter is telling his to stand around, not carry the puck, and dish it off the second he gets challenged. His individual effort have been noticeable absent for the most part this season.
100%. If he can't adapt now there is no evidence that he ever will. He hasn't jumped around the league to give anyone any idea if he can.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:55 PM   #1332
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Finishing just one point shy of matching the franchise record for most points in a single game, Tkachuk's five points are the second-most ever by a player in their first game back after being named MVP of the All-Star Game, trailing only Mario Lemieux's six-point showing in 1987-88.
Quote:
"I've really, really enjoyed his game all season long," Panthers forward Eric Staal said of Tkachuk. "He's been elite all year. I love all aspects of his attitude, how he approaches the game. This was a big game. He knew it, and he came to play. He was obviously a huge player for us. He makes a ton of elite plays with the puck. His hands are some of the best I've seen around the net. It's just fun to watch him play. But there's other aspects. He's got some grittiness to him. He's involved. He's a great teammate and one of those guys you love to have."
Quote:
On a seven-game point streak in which he's produced five multi-point performances, Tkachuk leads the Panthers and ranks fifth in the NHL in scoring with 71 points (27 goals, 44 assists). In the history of the franchise, he's one of just two players to hit 70 points in 50 or fewer games.
https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/5-...-1/c-340794674
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #1333
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He will likely be at least 26 by the time he plays in the playoffs again
Quote:
But like I said, let's stick in the Eastern Conference. It's the Buffalo Sabres, New York Islanders and Florida Panthers. I think two of the three make the playoffs with the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins dropping out. The Sabres, Panthers and Islanders are not on an even playing field right now; New York has played 54 games, Florida 53 games and Buffalo 50. Experience suggests it should be the Islanders and Panthers ahead of the Sabres, but those games in hand could make a big difference for Buffalo.

If there is one team that I can see going on a huge run, it's the Panthers. It might have already started. They came back to defeat the Boston Bruins 4-3 in overtime before the All-Star break and came out of it with a 7-1 win against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday. Confidence matters and the Panthers should have a lot of it after those two victories.
https://www.nhl.com/news/mailbag-buf...ns/c-340798332
Old 02-08-2023, 01:08 PM   #1334
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guess who the other player to hit 70 in 50 for the Panthers was
Old 02-08-2023, 01:12 PM   #1335
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Guess who the other player to hit 70 in 50 for the Panthers was
I was wondering about that. Was it Bure? Jagr?

Edit: Wasn't Jagr. Bure might have been the one with back to back 90pt seasons for them.

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-08-2023 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:16 PM   #1336
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I was wondering about that. Was it Bure? Jagr?
Close, it is a player who's most recent NHL game was with the Flames
Old 02-08-2023, 01:17 PM   #1337
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Close, it is a players who's most recent NHL game was with the Flames
Jokinen? It's not Huselius lol.

Edit: Waaaaiiiit. I misread your hint lol. It's Huberdeau!
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 09:04 PM   #1338
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

lol
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:33 AM   #1339
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
I'll definitely agree with this, Tkachuk was the biggest disappointment to me the last couple of playoffs. I thought his game would translate exceptionally well into the playoffs when we need him most, but he just ended up being a nonfactor for the most part. That fight was just plain dumb on his part especially.
I think he’s going to mature into a solid playoff performer - that fight was an example of his immaturity and poor judgement while trying to stir things up. Tkachuk’s playoff behaviour with the Flames was like Kadri’s when he was with the Leaves.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:48 AM   #1340
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk is already showing a fair bit more than I expected of him this season, and he's young. Also, although I wasn't a fan of him in the playoffs overall, he did show up with a goal and an assist in the game 7 win against Dallas. He could well end up being a post season star when he gets the chance again.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaudreau , gudbranson , legend of sam bennett , monahan , tkachuk