Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2023, 05:20 PM   #9761
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Its silly mentioning Boston and Calgary in the same trade rumour for a depth D. Nick needs to check his sources.

If Flames don’t win three of the next four then I hope BT pulls the pin on this season in terms of spending for rentals. In fact i hope he gains some assets by moving guys out.

If Flames make the playoffs with the current team minus a few depth guys then it would give youngsters bigger roles. I’d like that. If they miss, thats a valuable lesson too.

Flames alternate between bad and good seasons, so it’s obvious next year is when they will win the Cup.
Which guys you'd move out?
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:22 PM   #9762
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Not sure I understand why this rumour is "silly"?

Flames definitely require depth at defense

They have been relatively healthy this season, it only takes 1 or 2 injuries and they are in a world of trouble

(assuming they make the playoffs)
Because this team isn't very good.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:48 PM   #9763
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Because this team isn't very good.
Then find a new one. I get tired of hearing this over and over. The Coyotes are not very good, the Ducks are not very good, the Flames are a team battling for a playoff spot where only half the league makes the playoffs.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:52 PM   #9764
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No, it is definitely coaching. When a guys strength is passing into the slot on the rush and the teams system is to take low danger chances from far out and hope it gets through or there is a rebound you can't expect that player to thrive at all.
I don't doubt that there's an emphasis from the coaches to get more shots on goal from the point, but there's a certain level of autonomy afforded to players especially when they're in the offensive zone.

Even if what you're saying is true, how would you explain Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk managing to put so many passes into the slot in Sutter's system? Or how about Lindholm and Toffoli who are on producing just fine. Actually, Toffoli is on pace to absolutely shatter his career high in points.

In my opinion, if Huberdeau wants to be more productive. He needs to add more dimensions to his game. From what I've seen, he has a hard time just shooting in general on top of creating his own shot. He needs to start winning more puck battles and more 50/50s to give him chances to make plays rather than turning the puck over and having to defend a counter attack. He needs to start holding on to pucks longer to open up more shooting lanes, being harder on the forecheck, tying up sticks, getting better body position on his opponents, utilizing an active stick to create more takeaways and forcing bad passes.

Ultimately, this isn't about the coach, it's about the individual player doing the simple fundamental things that can lead to more opportunities to produce offense. This is what Gaudreau and Tkachuk did on a regular basis last season as "skilled guys" to help feed their offensive game. It wasn't always just fancy plays and dangling that generated their goals and assists, it was their willingness to put in the work and do the foundational things of hockey that made them so effective on both ends of the ice, shift after shift and game after game last year.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #9765
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Which guys you'd move out?
Depending on the return and if they’ll waive their NTC where applicable.

Coleman - more valuable to a contender than us. I could see him bringing back a good return.
Lewis - having a great year given his role, a mid round pick maybe?
Lucic - I think he’d fetch a late draft pick from a team that wants leadership and grit with on expiring contract.

Maybe even Hanifin to get some high picks, assets or legitimate scoring help.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #9766
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then find a new one. I get tired of hearing this over and over. The Coyotes are not very good, the Ducks are not very good, the Flames are a team battling for a playoff spot where only half the league makes the playoffs.
Because some people want to see them not spend every asset they should find a new team? The internet has you down.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:03 PM   #9767
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You think this team should be all in for this season?

I don’t think this team has shown that it deserves that level of confidence. So no, they should not spend picks on Schenn. We don’t need depth for a playoff drive.

Our scouts find NHLers as successfully as any team in the league. We need to balance and get more kids in the system because we spent assets to bolster better teams than this year’s edition. For this iteration the answer should be ‘it’s in the room’ or ‘it’s on the farm.’
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 06:04 PM   #9768
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Coleman - more valuable to a contender than us. I could see him bringing back a good return.
Lucic - I think he’d fetch a late draft pick from a team that wants leadership and grit with on expiring contract.

Okay, because the most I could see us moving were Lewis and Ritchie for 4/5th round picks.

I still don't think it's likely Coleman moves because of the length and caphit of that contract, or that we trade Hanifin before next year's deadline.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 06:11 PM   #9769
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Even if what you're saying is true, how would you explain Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk managing to put so many passes into the slot in Sutter's system? Or how about Lindholm and Toffoli who are on producing just fine. Actually, Toffoli is on pace to absolutely shatter his career high in points.
Absolutely. Toffoli, Dube, Backlund, Andersson, Coleman, and even Lindholm are all on pace to have career-years points wise. Kadri is on pace to have the second best year of his career and Zadorov is on pace to have a career year goals-wise.

Huberdeau, meanwhile, is on pace to have the worst season he’s had by far since he was 21 years old… 8 years ago.

At a certain point, people have to admit the coach isn’t the problem when it comes to Huberdeau producing.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 06:12 PM   #9770
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
This is silly. This team isn't worth spending assets on. Take the deadline off and re-evaluate in the summer. They aren't winning anything this year.
Unfortunately...looking at the schedule, we should be able to win 7 of the next 10. If we win 5 or less...I think we are sellers. The most likely outcome is that they win 6...and we are a strong 9th place contender down the stretch when the schedule gets harder.

I don't think we have the assets to reload. If we want assets back, you would need to trade Lucic (retained), Backlund, Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom (if you can convince a team like Toronto).

However, if you do that...we will only be competitive again 2025/26 at the earliest...right when kadri and huberdeau are set to wind down.

Best case scenario....go all in this year and hope for the next 2 years to bring much joy...because the subsequent 8 will be a forced rebuild...luckily handcuffed in a way where we will have to do it properly...
Old 02-08-2023, 06:12 PM   #9771
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Coleman at $4.9M is not valuable to a contender. That’s why the contender let him go and a non-contender (us) paid him that money.

Contenders don’t pay $4.9M to Blake Coleman.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 06:20 PM   #9772
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Coleman at $4.9M is not valuable to a contender. That’s why the contender let him go and a non-contender (us) paid him that money.

Contenders don’t pay $4.9M to Blake Coleman.
Most of the teams you would qualify as contenders this year have a Coleman-level player they’re paying Coleman-level money.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:31 PM   #9773
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Most of the teams you would qualify as contenders this year have a Coleman-level player they’re paying Coleman-level money.
Coleman has been one of the best players on the team all season and there are 200 players in the NHL that make more than him. I wish we had a whole line of Colemen.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:38 PM   #9774
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

My vote for a Flames pickup this year is Denis Gurianov. He has worn out his welcome on the Stars, and would be cheap to acquire. He is a shoot first LH RW, 6'3 and over 200lbs. On paper a fit for Huberdeau.

RFA, no risk, and a cheapish contract if he does show some chemistry on the second line.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:47 PM   #9775
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I don't doubt that there's an emphasis from the coaches to get more shots on goal from the point, but there's a certain level of autonomy afforded to players especially when they're in the offensive zone.

In my opinion, if Huberdeau wants to be more productive. He needs to add more dimensions to his game. From what I've seen, he has a hard time just shooting in general on top of creating his own shot. He needs to start winning more puck battles and more 50/50s to give him chances to make plays rather than turning the puck over and having to defend a counter attack. He needs to start holding on to pucks longer to open up more shooting lanes, being harder on the forecheck, tying up sticks, getting better body position on his opponents, utilizing an active stick to create more takeaways and forcing bad passes.

Ultimately, this isn't about the coach, it's about the individual player doing the simple fundamental things that can lead to more opportunities to produce offense. This is what Gaudreau and Tkachuk did on a regular basis last season as "skilled guys" to help feed their offensive game. It wasn't always just fancy plays and dangling that generated their goals and assists, it was their willingness to put in the work and do the foundational things of hockey that made them so effective on both ends of the ice, shift after shift and game after game last year.
This is exactly it. I can't believe for a second that Sutter doesn't want Huberdeau to maintain possession if he can to open up space. The dump-and-chase thing is to err on the side of caution if there is a good chance you're going to lose possession. Every team does this, and while it is true that Sutter has a low risk threshold, he would gladly take the alternative. He is the guy who traded for Huselius of all people back in the day and gave tonnes of rope to Gaudreau. I highly doubt that he was screaming at Gaudreau after games for making zone entries while keeping possession, and then buzzing around in the offensive zone. Even now, you see players like Kadri, Magiapane, Dube, and Lindholm doing it. If they had the skill that Huberdeau supposedly has, it would probably increase the number of scoring chances by a significant amount.

Huberdeau showed in Florida he can be an individual force, but he isn't doing it here. That is 100% on him. A decrease is points was acceptable going into a more cautious system, but not to the amount we have seen. It's even less acceptable when he doesn't look like is trying all that hard consistently through 60.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 02-08-2023 at 06:49 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:15 PM   #9776
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Nobody is going to trade the Bedard pick, but I imagine it starts with Huberdeau retained, the Flames 1st, Coronato, and Wolf.

And then you start adding.
And you keep adding and they still say no. The value of a franchise altering prospect doesn't get evened out by adding.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:20 PM   #9777
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Honestly, if we could dump that contract without adding assets or retention, and get nothing back, it would be a positive. The Huberdeau contract has the potential to be the worst contract in NHL history if he doesn't have a massive turnaround. Top 5 for sure.
Okay, this is getting ridiculous on CP. Huberdeau has struggled, Sutter makes offensive first players struggle when they come to his teams, that's a given. He's worked really hard on his defensive game and it's shown in his metrics, Sutter demands that you break yourself down and master that side of the game before anything else.

He's not performed to par, but I'm confident that he hasn't forgot how to play hockey after knocking on the door of 100 points for years and then blowing by it. I'm not happy with where he's at, but I'm also understanding of what Sutter does to players (check out star player point declines in LA under Sutter) and confident that he'll be a PPG player at minimum going forward in seasons.

This idea that he's now a solidified 60-70 point player, going forward is so stupid and reactionary, imo.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-08-2023 at 09:24 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 09:27 PM   #9778
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, the Flames are 6 points off the division lead with a game in hand

5 playoff spots available within 6 points

"season over, throw in the towel" lol

People act like they need to run the table or something
Old 02-08-2023, 09:29 PM   #9779
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitix View Post
I think Huberdeau has looked better with Pelletier than with anyone this year at 5 on 5
I'm really excited for this pairing, you can see the chemistry building. Pelletier is the exact type of player that Huberdeau thrives with, albeit just learning the ropes at the NHL level.

I'd love to see them tethered together the next couple of seasons and I think Pelletier would become a strong top 6, goal scorer.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 09:31 PM   #9780
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
okay, this is getting ridiculous on cp. Huberdeau has struggled, sutter makes offensive first players struggle when they come to his teams, that's a given. He's worked really hard on his defensive game and it's shown in his metrics, sutter demands that you break yourself down and master that side of the game before anything else.

He's not performed to par, but i'm confident that he hasn't forgot how to play hockey after knocking on the door of 100 points for years and then blowing by it. I'm not happy with where he's at, but i'm also understanding of what sutter does to players (check out star player point declines in la under sutter) and confident that he'll be a ppg player at minimum going forward in seasons.

This idea that he's now a solidified 60-70 point player, going forward is so stupid and reactionary, imo.
this.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote