Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #41
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why can't she just go up to watch a movie or hang out and chat?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #42
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
You're kind of proving that posters point.
Innocent until proven guilty but not. You're already stating definitively that he did it.

He very well may be guilty but he's already cancelled regardless.

"If what she said is true"

This is what she has said happened. The accusation alone makes this bigger than a drive by with a ####ty meme joke. This is serious #### with two young lives hanging in it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 05-01-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:16 PM   #43
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If that was indeed the case, they should add that information to the story. It would help her case and set it apart from the likes of other cases like Kane's.
Why? I think it is a serious shortcoming in our collective perception of these sorts of incidents if this is automatically our reaction. It is no one's business why or under what pretext this woman shone to go to his hotel room. It has Virtanually nothing at all to do with the player's culpability. She is not the problem here; it is those among us who instantly respond to stories like this with "she should have known better" sorts of excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #44
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Setting aside Virtanen specifically. I don’t think losing your job because of sexual misconduct is “cancelling”.
Yup. It's not "cancel culture", it's consequence culture.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #45
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I too enjoy taking a single line out of a post to use it out of context. I usually save it for threads that aren't about rape, but you do you, big guy!

"If what she said is true"

This is what she has said happened. The accusation alone makes this bigger than a drive by with a ####ty meme joke. This is serious #### with two young lives hanging in it.
I was reading on my phone between work meetings and actually missed that part of your post.

My apologies, I retract my previous reply to your post.

You did indeed say "if" and I agree with that.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #46
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why? I think it is a serious shortcoming in our collective perception of these sorts of incidents if this is automatically our reaction. It is no one's business why or under what pretext this woman shone to go to his hotel room. It has Virtanually nothing at all to do with the player's culpability. She is not the problem here; it is those among us who instantly respond to stories like this with "she should have known better" sorts of excuses.
It's more of a "please protect yourself young lady because I wouldn't trust the guy myself in that situation"

But also an honest assessment based on the information provided that if there's not more information of the context, then it could fall by the wayside like with PK.

Don't lump me in with a certain group of guys with nonchalant attitudes about these sort of things and assume to know what I'm thinking.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #47
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Three and a half years later she speaks up? the Patrick Kane incident went nowhere and I suspect this one will too
I mean, raising these kind of allegations must be so much fun for the victim, I can't think of a single reason they wouldn't do it immediately.

Quote:
Agreed to meet up and go to a hotel, which she obviously voluntarily walked into with him to get to where it happened. A crime is a crime and Virtanen doesn't seem bright at all, but she wasn't exactly putting herself in a good spot to get people on her side either. If you're not looking to confuse your signal, maybe refuse to go in there to begin with and insist on a coffee shop?

I dunno, this just has the Kane controversy written all over it.
wtf? Maybe women shouldn't have to make every decision in their lives depending on how likely they'll be raped or not.

If you're at a car dealership and offer the slightest hint your interested in a car, you must also be a real frigid ##### if you don't want to go through with the deal immediately.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #48
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can understand going to the cops again after 3 years, as the culture around sexual assault has changed. less cover up, less blame the victim.

I'm just wondering about the need to now go public with the accusations. what purpose does it serve other than to smear someone in the court of public opinion?

If at the time it was he said/she said and that's the case now, and there is no proof of any crime, is that where it dies?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #49
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I agree with GordonBlue. Rape victims should be forced to suffer in silence and not speak up. Helps allow their rapists to continue to find victims; who we will also tell to shut up.

Or maybe, if what she's saying is true, she's speaking up cause she doesn't want him to continue getting away with rape you ####ing sicko.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #50
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously when someone comes forward with allegations, you need to take them seriously and not dismiss them. I think the Canucks are doing just that, but allegations 3 years after the event are really hard to prove without a police report, witnesses, or physical evidence.

We will have to see how the investigation unfolds and hopefully the truth, whatever it is, comes out. You don't want to see someone get away with these types of things, but you also don't want to see someone get their lives ruined by false accusations, even if that person is a jerk.

A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine slept with a girl who was cheating on her boyfriend. He found out and she said she was so drunk that she couldn't consent. It took about a year before she slipped up enough and the truth came out, but there are still some people who view him as a rapist.

Again, just to be clear, the allegations should be taken seriously and investigated as if they happened, but I don't think guilt should automatically be assumed either, which is something that often happens in these situations.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #51
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think going public is important. if Virtanen has a history of this kind of thing, coming forward in public may give other victims the courage to also come forward. Going to the cops apparently didn't to anything to curb his behaviour.
and it's not like she was planning this for 3 years.
The story Cleary states;
"Emily spoke out after seeing other women come forward with their own experiences on an anonymous Instagram account."

So good for her for having the courage to shine a light on, and share her experience in support of other possible victims.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #52
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Some weird semantics going on here. Yes, there's a good chance Virtanen gets "cancelled". And there's also a good chance that it will because the results of the NHL's investigation justify said cancellation.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #53
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Cancel culture is a weird way to refer to consequence culture, as there should be if Virtanen is guilty of his actions.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #54
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did I know this thread would go this way. All too predictable. I feel like we've gone from a meaningful debate on this issue to semantics and definitions. Boring and useless. Yay.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed to meet up and go to a hotel, which she obviously voluntarily walked into with him to get to where it happened. A crime is a crime and Virtanen doesn't seem bright at all, but she wasn't exactly putting herself in a good spot to get people on her side either. If you're not looking to confuse your signal, maybe refuse to go in there to begin with and insist on a coffee shop?

I dunno, this just has the Kane controversy written all over it.
I don't know what's in your heart on this topic so I'm not judging you.

But I am surprised people still say this kind of stuff. What is the point of evaluating the victim's behavior? I'm sure you realize none of what you're saying constitutes a valid defense for the alleged perpetrator here so why even bring it up? It's 100% irrelevant to the topic, which is whether the guy is guilty of a crime.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #56
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the name of the clause in the contract that allows the club to suspend the player in the event of an unproven allegation of assault? Morality clause?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #57
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Last I checked women are allowed to change their minds and that simply saying they want to hang out does not = sex. Amazing to see all the usual garbage being trotted out, "interesting timing, i wonder if she was after money", ya she really nailed that sexual assault timing just before his raise, mentions of cancel culture, she shouldn't have gone into the bedroom with him, it was her fault for leading him on. Wow. I certainly have a higher opinion of the choices that women make in this world, might be time to for some here to reexamine their views of the opposite sex.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #58
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Cancel culture is a weird way to refer to consequence culture, as there should be if Virtanen is guilty of his actions.
This isn't "cancel culture" or "consequence culture", it's living in a country governed by the rule of law. If there is a credible allegation, the police can investigate it and may or may not lay charges against the person being accused of wrongdoing.

Someone up there mentioned the Patrick Kane allegations going nowhere - they didn't go nowhere. They went to the District Attorney, who declined to lay charges for lack of credible evidence. This allegation should be treated the same way, and the outcome should depend on what the investigation finds. There's nothing remotely controversial about any of this.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #59
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
What is the name of the clause in the contract that allows the club to suspend the player in the event of an unproven allegation of assault? Morality clause?
He hasn’t been suspended.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #60
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
How did I know this thread would go this way. All too predictable. I feel like we've gone from a meaningful debate on this issue to semantics and definitions. Boring and useless. Yay.
I see threads like this and always give the benefit of doubt and hope that the discussions will be meaningful, but people with ####ty opinions are like moths to a flame. Anywhere they can share them, they’ll share them, and then things just go south.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: