Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #21
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've tried DSC in the past but not Harry's. I found DCS adequate at best for my own uses. I felt DSC blades gave me more razor burn than other brands with dry shaves. It was alright for wet shave. What I did was use DSC for regular shaves and keep a Gillette on the side when I needed a better shave until I ran out. I don't use those other lather products other than basic soap and water so I can't comment on those.

Ultimately I swapped to electric razors. Sure the shave isn't as close and my 5 o clock shadow starts around an hour or two earlier, but it's inexpensive and works well enough IMO. Though after experimenting with several dozen options for disposables, I'd say the more basic Gillette sensor 3 is my favourite and I still keep some on hand for days I need a closer shave or for trips where I don't want to bring my electric razor.

I have been wanting to try a safety razor, but since electric works + disposable well enough for me, I don't feel a need to try anything else.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #22
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
When you guys shave with the safety razor don't you have to take much smaller strokes and be careful? I realise how lazy this is going to sound, but I just want to get it over with and that is really the only reason I've stuck with the cartridges. I have debated it though.

I use DSC and it seems fine. Cheap, convenient and the product seems reasonable enough for me.
This is a good question, I rush a shave and would probably cut my throat, also I don't think I would trust a safety razor on other parts that need shaving?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #23
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I haven't used a regular blade shaver since I got a Philips OneBlade. It doesn't shave quite as close as a blade, but close enough to as not to matter for me, and has the huge benefit of no irritation like with a blade.
Interesting. How often do you have to get a replaceable OneBlade?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #24
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use DSC and I would say that the shaves are not quite as close, and I find I swap the blades out more.

I believe that gilette lowered the price of their blades in response to the discounters and I also believe gilette has a shave club as well.

the price of name brand shaving blades seems silly. for a few years around superbowl it seemed as if the blade makers were releasing a new system. I just kept waiting for a 20 blade unit that cost $100
Old 05-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #25
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Yeah, if you're shaving with cartridges, you're doing it wrong. Safety razors are the best.
Do you guys have a particular safety razor and blades that you recommend?

Also, does anybody using a safety blade shave their head? (that's the part makes me a little nervous to make the switch)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #26
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Added to OP:

In addition...
- what's some of your favourite shaving/grooming products? (i.e foam, gel, shaving cream, after shave balm, moisturizers, beard oil, shaving soap, brush etc.)

(I actually switched over to shaving soaps with brush and quite like)
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #27
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Added to OP:

In addition...
- what's some of your favourite shaving/grooming products? (i.e foam, gel, shaving cream, after shave balm, moisturizers, beard oil, shaving soap, brush etc.)

(I actually switched over to shaving soaps with brush and quite like)
When I get my haircut now they use a hot foam and shave the lines. I want a hot shave foam machine now. I don't use after shave products but are there any must haves to avoid in grown hair on my neck?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #28
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
When you guys shave with the safety razor don't you have to take much smaller strokes and be careful? I realise how lazy this is going to sound, but I just want to get it over with and that is really the only reason I've stuck with the cartridges. I have debated it though.

I use DSC and it seems fine. Cheap, convenient and the product seems reasonable enough for me.
I do take shorter strokes than I used to, but I don't think it makes shaving slower.

2 half length strokes don't really take any longer than 1 full length stroke?

I confess I've never timed my shaves though. My time clearly isn't as valuable as yours
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #29
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Gosh I feel lucky to use disposable Gillette Flex 3 razors for weeks at a time. Like Matata said rubbing alcohol is the trick. Keeps blades lasting longer with no problem at all.

Used DSC at one point but the blades were piling up in my bathroom, even the cheapest option was leaving me with double digits extra blades. They were ok but pulled sometimes. Only used the two blade option

To be fair I can get away with shaving a couple times a week and look fine, I'd imagine having a brillo pad face and shaving daily would be miserable.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #30
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
DSC is just a reseller for Dorco: http://www.dorcousa.com/

I don't shave often enough to justify a subscription, so I just bought directly from the source. I bought a package a couple of years ago and still have a bunch of blades left (as I said, I don't shave often).

It's not quite as good as the Gillette I replaced, and wears out a little more often, but for the price difference, it's easy to replace them more often.

Ditto this. I bought a massive bulk pack that's supposed to last a year for around $100. I'm somewhere in to year 2 and have plenty left.
Not as good quality as Gillette (and it's not like Gillette is great quality) but super cheap and you just replace them more often.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #31
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I do take shorter strokes than I used to, but I don't think it makes shaving slower.

2 half length strokes don't really take any longer than 1 full length stroke?

I confess I've never timed my shaves though. My time clearly isn't as valuable as yours
Oh it's not about how valuable my time is. I'm purely lazy!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #32
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Yeah, if you're shaving with cartridges, you're doing it wrong. Safety razors are the best.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #33
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Wow, I find I get about a week out of a blade. That's shaving every day mind you. I use the Mach blades. I've tried to switch to something cheaper but so far I haven't found another blade that works as well for me.
I find the Fusion lasts much longer than the Mach 3.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #34
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I bought a braun series 9 and I wouldn't go back to razorblades and cream if they were free. The shave is fast, close and no irritation. Worth every penny.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #35
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I bought a braun series 9 and I wouldn't go back to razorblades and cream if they were free. The shave is fast, close and no irritation. Worth every penny.
This.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #36
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting. How often do you have to get a replaceable OneBlade?
They say every 4 months, I got twice that out of my first blade, only on my second one now. They're cheaper off Amazon than the stores too.

I've tried regular razors, foil shavers, etc, this thing gets as close as any electric shaver I've had without the irritation. For the price this thing gets 5 batmans out of 5.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #37
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I use Merkur safety razors and Astra blades. Not all blades are created equal. You can get sample packs to try a variety of blades. I shop from Fendrihan:

www.fendrihan.ca
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #38
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

4 years ago I spent $300 on a Straight blade, strop, soap and soap fish and brush. I haven't spent 1 cent on shaving since. And do no foresee having too for at least 10 years (except for a replacement soap).

This is the way to go. And a waaaaayyyy better shave. I get the worst razor burn from cartridges. Nothing anymore.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #39
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just spend 450 airmiles on a half decent electric and call it good
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #40
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Also, does anybody using a safety blade shave their head? (that's the part makes me a little nervous to make the switch)
The most important thing with the razor itself is that you buy something higher quality that won't rust.

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Merkur-Model-1...eywords=merkur

The actual blades themselves, there are only a few companies that actually make them, and they all seem to be pretty similar. I use the Astra blades:

https://www.amazon.ca/Astra-Superior...6XPF3TFK3K6ZR3

It looks like I use my blades a lot more than most though. Some people are replacing after 3-4 uses. I'm using 10+ and don't seem to have any issues. Merkur makes their own brand of blades too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:

Tags
razors , shaving