Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect left from the following?
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 4 1.26%
Arnold 2 0.63%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Gilmour 0 0%
Granlund 77 24.29%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 1 0.32%
Hickey 77 24.29%
Jankowski 71 22.40%
Kanzig 0 0%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 42 13.25%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 32 10.09%
Mangiapane 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 2 0.63%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Rafikov 1 0.32%
Sieloff 0 0%
Smith 1 0.32%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 1 0.32%
Wotherspoon 6 1.89%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #41
Knut

Exp:

I took Klimchuk. I see him as a guy that is flying under the radar and his game fits in really nicely with the Flames. An injury free season will really propel him into the top 5 i think.

Jankowski, Hickey and Granlund are all in the next tier i think.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #42
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Very tough call. Decided to go with Klimchuk. Kept going between he, Janko and Hickey.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #43
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least 7 or 8 guys here that I couldn't blame anybody for picking in this spot.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #44
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow. Close race here.
The Swedish Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #45
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I assume this is a passive aggressive shot at what I said. I should clarify (using the exact words I used initially): "Only Granlund is closer to the NHL but I believe Klimchuk has a much better chance of having a 500+ game career than Granlund."

I wasn't 'calculating' anything. Based on what I've seen with both players, I truly believe this. Granlund is too small (with Gaudreau and Hudler already there) and not skilled enough to be in the top 6. He's too small and not good enough defensively(yet) to be in the bottom 6. Things can change obviously, I'm just not betting on it from what I've seen.

One of Klimchuk's strengths has always been his two way play and defensive acumen. This has been well documented and will serve him well. Granlund has never been talked about his 2 way play being a major strength. In fact, from what I've seen, he's just ok/average defensively. The only reason I even have Granlund in the conversation is because he's proven he can get points in the AHL and he got hot for one month in the NHL (though did literally less than nothing the rest of the time).
I know that the height and weight listings for the NHL are not always accurate but Granlund is listed 6-0 180.... Klimchuk 6-0 185.

Somehow in the nothing given , everything earned team of 2014-15 Granlund had 15 games where he had 15+ minutes and 6 games that he had less than 10 out of his 48

He did tail off as Backlund came off IR and for a 21 yr rookie behind Monahan, Backlund and Stajan I don't see this as a bad or unexpected thing.

I would have totally agreed with you that he played too soft of a game based on his 2013-14 call up.... but someone coached him into making just under a hit a game last year. same hit rate as Backlund has since he started playing well a year and half ago. Granlund is a lot more physical and stronger on the puck than Backlund was when he was 22-23 years old.

It is just far too early to talk about Klimchuk playing 500 games.

Max Reinhart was a spectacular two-way player as an 18 year old shutting down Brayden Schenn for a playoff series.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #46
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
keep in mind Smith and McDonald (last year's 2nd rounders) went 18th and 19th, so its interesting to see Andersson and Kylington interest in the top 6. Neither will get in until say 8th at earliest but it is interesting.

Since then both Smith and McDonald have had great post draft years, and you have to th8ink they'll be in the 10-13 range this year.
Shiny new toy syndrome? I especially don't get the love for a guy who tumbled down the draft. The guy obviously had a poor development year but is being rated above other players who made good to great strides in development. I don't understand why this happens.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #47
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been going with Jankowski since Bennett, though I can't say it was an easy choice.

I can't say I disagree with the choices so far. I always thought if Ferland made it, he would be a huge fan favorite and a very important piece for the Flames. Hated not voting for him since I love the kid, but I really do believe that Jankowski is going to be a very good player for the Flames.

Jankowski (IMO) has all the tools except 'grit'. Size, speed, skating, agility, passing ability, vision, shot, IQ.. Every time I have seen Jankowski play since he went to college, I find it easy to see why the Flames' scouting staff liked him and why Weisbrod fell in love with him and called him the next Nieuwendyk.

If Jankowski continues putting on a bit of weight without losing his agility, he is going to be a very difficult center for opposing teams to handle. Not because he will bowl guys over, but because he will be tough to muscle off the puck, will have a very good reach, and has the ability to make things happen out of nowhere rather quickly.

I do think that he is ready for the pro game (AHL, and MAYBE some occasional call-up injury time), but glad he is heading back to college for another year. Being 'the guy' I think will give him more confidence, and will help develop his leadership skills. Like he said - providence will have a target on its' back this year, and he will be the guy on every opposing team's board. I think he is learning to be more tenacious (one criticism I and a couple of others shared) and I think that is the single most important aspect of his game to develop. With him going back to college and being the big target every night, I bet it really will help his development much more than going to the AHL this year.

Klimchuk, Hickey and Kylington are next for me (not sure what order). I do think it is funny that Klimchuk often seems like an afterthought on these boards, and seems to be thown into a bunch of trade proposals. Eberle on these boards seems to be a polarizing player, and not only because of what jersey he wears. He is so polarizing because of his lack of effort and defensive acumen. Klimchuk to me = Eberle offensively, but with a much better 2-way game AND effort. Yeah, he is slightly undersized, but I don't think it is that big of a deal now.

Flames lost Baertschi who was slightly undersized. When they are competing, Hudler will PROBABLY be gone as well - or at least not included in the top 6. They have boatloads of big guys with hockey ability coming up through the ranks (Ferland, Smith, Carrol, etc), and some of these could very well become players that you can throw up into the top 6 when needed and not slow down the line or reduce the offence. I think it will be Klimchuk for me next - as long as this kid stays healthy, he is literally a can't miss prospect, and I agree with the poster above that I would think he will have a long and productive career in the NHL.

I am not sure why Ricardow wants to argue that point - we are ranking PROSPECTS as to how we personally feel they will do. There is no wrong or right answer - except for correcting other posters and saying things like "I would like to see him turn pro first before...".

Some posters are definitely placing more weight on NHL/AHL experience and success, or NHL-readiness. Some posters are going pure ceilings. Most are doing somewhat of a mix. The only wrong answer is telling someone else they are selecting wrong.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #48
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hickey

I dont see Granlund as more than a 3/4 line guy going forward.
J ankowski is a similar ceiling
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #49
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Shiny new toy syndrome? I especially don't get the love for a guy who tumbled down the draft. The guy obviously had a poor development year but is being rated above other players who made good to great strides in development. I don't understand why this happens.
Understandable considering the shiny new toys the last 2 years. But honestly can't see it this early.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #50
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I don't think it is 'shiny new toy' syndrome. You have to give people more credit than that.

Remember, this past draft was one of the deepest in years. The preseason draft rankings had Kylington firmly entrenched in the top 5, and Andersson was 9th on some lists. That is how much potential they had.

One guy ends up being all over the place in Sweden for the year and was bothered by a hamstring injury, the other came over to North America and was 3rd in OHL scoring by defencemen in his first season on the smaller ice.

There is legitimate high-end upside in both of these prospects, and I wouldn't call anyone out for ranking either one of them as the 'best remaining prospect' since Bennett got taken off the board. They both have top pairing potential. Will they meet it? Time will tell, but there is no fixed rules as to what criteria to rank players on.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #51
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Went with Granlund. Trying to find a balance between potential and likelihood of reaching that potential and while Granlund doesn't have the highest upside, he has come a long way developmentally. One of the best hockey IQs we have.

After that Hickey, Klimchuk and Jankowski are next for me.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #52
JoelOtto29
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think the Kylington pick was fantastic but I just don't see him as one of our top prospects. On D, I have: Hickey, Morrison, Rafikov, Wotherspoon, and Andersson before him. I can't wait to see where he's at a year from now though, that's for sure.
JoelOtto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #53
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

3rd round of Jankowski voting for me.
I seriously think he has a lot of offensive potential that's not being displayed in Providence.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #54
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoforever View Post
The link to 2013 list looks to be broken:
2013 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ospect+Ranking
Here's the full link. The shortened links don't work when they're simply copy/pasted as text.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ospect+Ranking
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #55
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I absolutely LOVE Granlund and Klimchuk and Jankowski and Hickey. But in terms of upside I firmly believe Kylington is above them. I'm voting Kylington until he goes. I had him #2 and I knew then that I was going to be a major minority.

Don't really care if other fans believe the few of us on the Kylington train are out to lunch. Because in reality, not one of us know factually how things will shake out. Not a damned one. I'm not running around telling everyone else their votes are stupid or uninformed. Because they aren't.

I personally just see the ridiculous upside and believe even if he hits half his ceiling the Flames have and elite skating top 4 d man. Easy.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #56
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd love to vote on these but it'd just be a shot in the dark, too out of the loop on the kids.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #57
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted for Granlund. He has played against men the last four seasons and has played well. He's still only 22 years old. I think a lot of people soured on him last season because he didn't make a huge impact as a rookie like Gaudreau did. Now people are moving on to the younger prospects that haven't proven anything in the pro game yet.

Jankowski hasn't dominated the college game let alone the pro game. Can't put him in front of Granlund.
Hickey had a great first season with BU, but I want to see how he plays when his team isn't as stacked as last season.
Kylington was pass over by 29 other teams in the first two rounds. I am going to put trust in the collective knowledge of the NHL scouts and not vote for him this high up in the rankings.
Klimchuk is similar to Granlund where he doesn't wow you with his game, but Granlund has proven himself in the AHL. Klimchuk might be my next pick.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #58
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I see Hickey getting a bunch of votes, can someone enlighten me? I know very little about this guy. What makes him 6-7th best prospect?
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #59
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
I see Hickey getting a bunch of votes, can someone enlighten me? I know very little about this guy. What makes him 6-7th best prospect?
Transitioned from the AJHL to NCAA seemingly seemlessly. Put up solid numbers and earned a top 4 spot on a Championship team. Touted as having one of the best shots on the team voted by his team mates. Brodie level of skating paired with a bit more grit and a good shot. Easy to see why folks are pumped on him.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #60
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Big two way defenceman, incredible skater, had a great freshman year in the NCAA.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post: