Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 1 0.29%
Andersson 2 0.57%
Arnold 1 0.29%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 1 0.29%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Gilmour 0 0%
Granlund 22 6.32%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 1 0.29%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 32 9.20%
Jankowski 26 7.47%
Kanzig 0 0%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 17 4.89%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 20 5.75%
Mangiapane 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 1 0.29%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Ortio 218 62.64%
Rafikov 1 0.29%
Sieloff 0 0%
Smith 2 0.57%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 3 0.86%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #41
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I continue to wait for Klimchuk to show me a reason to get more excited about him as a prospect. Still waiting.

Edit: not saying he's crap, just haven't seen enough to justify bumping him up into the top 10 or 12
Same here. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the pro game next season. I'm not convinced his game will translate to the NHL level.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #42
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
How can you call 2013 a deep draft? 2 full seasons and 1 player from the second round has played in the NHL. In 2015 the Flames were able to pick up a sure fire top 2 D-man at the end of the 2nd round.
Pretty bold to say they got a "sure fire top 2 D-man".
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #43
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How can you call 2013 a deep draft? 2 full seasons and 1 player from the second round has played in the NHL. In 2015 the Flames were able to pick up a sure fire top 2 D-man at the end of the 2nd round.
Boy, you sure are all over the place flinging things around. Why just yesterday you say
Quote:
15 people on CP think that Kylington is the Flames 4th best prospect (13 thought he was 3rd).

It is very hard to see what they are basing this on.

The coaches in Sweden, that would have a vested interest in scouting him extremely closely, do not see him as one of best 8 under 20 D-men in Sweden.

What would the Swedish coaches have against Kylington that they don't see him like Hakan Loob sees him?

Even Loob is a bit schizophrenic in his evaluation of Kylington

Quote:
"I think he could play in the A. I think he could develop a lot there. Because I think what he needs is a little bit of a tougher going," Loob said. If he's playing at a higher level, then he'd be able to grow into it.
followed by the obvious question why was he moved to a lower level in Sweden:

Quote:
"We thought maybe that his development was a little too quick for himself. Everybody was expecting him to do great things in every game. We wanted to slow him down a little, and maybe he wanted to rush a little too much," Loob explained. His coaches in the SEL - whose jobs are to win games, not develop prospects - may have gotten impatient with him, and ultimately, the feeling was Kylington would perform better at a lower level
Has there ever been an U20 Swedish D-man drafted in the top 2 rounds that didn't play for the U20 team at the WJC?
Then today this. Which is it?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #44
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys pretty sure he was being sarcastic about Kylington since he doesn't like him and lots of ppl on this site are fans.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #45
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Klimchuk is next on my list...
Yeah, mine too. Just my guess but if anyone is going to surprise like Jooris did last year, Klimchuk would be my choice.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #46
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I continue to wait for Klimchuk to show me a reason to get more excited about him as a prospect. Still waiting.

Edit: not saying he's crap, just haven't seen enough to justify bumping him up into the top 10 or 12
50 points in 33 games with the Wheat Kings, which is a 109 point pace.

High skill level and a very smart player. He has bumped into a few injuries which imo, have kept him a bit under the radar.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #47
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Boy, you sure are all over the place flinging things around. Why just yesterday you say

Then today this. Which is it?
I was being sarcastic. No draft is deep enough that you are going to be able to declare a top-prospect at the start of the 3rd round... or even at the start of the second round.

I think that anyone that thinks the 60th pick overall in any draft is one of the best prospects in the Flame organization that has numerous strong prospects is wearing robbie-schremp-beer-googles.

Kylington is a project. From the scouting reports has shown enough holes in his game to scare away a lot of professional hockey scouts from putting their reputation on the line.

When you hear of a prospect that is undersized or an average skater there is hope that he can grow and/or improve his skating or strength with proper coaching. It seems a lot more difficult to teach a player intuitive hockey smarts. It also seems that Kylington has not adapted his game to higher level opponents.. Poor coaching or poor reception of coaching?

Right now it would be disrespectful, IMO, to think that Kylington, is a better prospect than our last years 2nd round picks or Hickey #64 who really had a great year..... MacDonald and Hunter Smith both showed the kind of improvement that would be expected of 2nd round picks.

Were our last year's picks bad picks? Did they regress from what we expected of them last July?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #48
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

...Granlund really has to be next on people's lists. Kid played like, 48+3 NHL games as a 21 year old.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #49
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Just curious, did you watch Klimchuk play, or are you just going by stats and scoresheets?
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #50
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
...Granlund really has to be next on people's lists. Kid played like, 48+3 NHL games as a 21 year old.
My voting is more weighed by upside then NHL readiness. So if I think someone has a higher upside then Granlund, even slight, I'll go with the younger guy then more NHL ready.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
Just curious, did you watch Klimchuk play, or are you just going by stats and scoresheets?
I never go by stats.

I admittedly haven't seen him play a great deal, but whenever I have, he has been good but has never wowed me.

I am not a hater, I am just saying that I am still waiting for him to show me that he is a top prospect. So far I have only seen 'decent'.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #52
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:
Default Summer 2015 Prospect Ranking - Round 5

I picked ortio. My next group of prospects in no order are granlund, klimchuk, kylington, Anderson, hickey, Morrison,Arnold, jankowski and wotherspoon

Last edited by savardandjokinen; 07-07-2015 at 05:22 PM.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #53
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granlund for me is a nice player to have around as depth, but still don't see him securing a spot on this team beyond that role. Still, I've been waiting for him to go away for a while, and he keeps hanging in there...
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #54
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Kylington for the 4th time...would be Ortio otherwise....
Still believe Kylington and the 2 goalies should have been selected before any of the forwards (outside of Sam of course)
I go with potential and upside, so Kylington for me last couple of rounds as well as much as I like Ortio & Granlund.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #55
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah not sure who I'm going for #6, I suppose I could do Granlund but meh... excitement level not really that high for him..
Old 07-07-2015, 09:46 PM   #56
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...Right now it would be disrespectful, IMO, to think that Kylington, is a better prospect than our last years 2nd round picks or Hickey #64 who really had a great year..... MacDonald and Hunter Smith both showed the kind of improvement that would be expected of 2nd round picks.

Were our last year's picks bad picks? Did they regress from what we expected of them last July?
Not that any of the players you mentioned are "bad picks," but I would hope that even you, Ricardo would somehow recognise that NOT ALL DRAFTS ARE EQUAL DISTRIBUTIONS OF TALENT FROM ONE YEAR TO THE NEXT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #57
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Not that any of the players you mentioned are "bad picks," but I would hope that even you, Ricardo would somehow recognise that NOT ALL DRAFTS ARE EQUAL DISTRIBUTIONS OF TALENT FROM ONE YEAR TO THE NEXT.
So do you think it would be worth while to trade Macdonald , H. Smith and Hickey for Jonas Siegenthaler , Kevin Stenlund, and Julius Nattinen?

You know how being the 2015 draft was so much better than 2014?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #58
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Klimchuk here. Often overlooked and not flashy, I think he has as good a chance as anyone on this list. I liked what he did once he was dealt to Brandon, it was good to see him end the regular season well. I see him as an eventual mainstay on the 3rd line, eventually playing a role similar to what I expect out of Frolik.

I thought about Ortio here but ultimately goalies are such a crapshoot, I find it really hard to rank them vs skaters unless they are a high end prospect like Gillies. With him you're looking at one of the top 5 goalie prospects in hockey, it's hard not to get excited about that. Where does Ortio rank? Top 15? Top 25? The only real advantage for Joni is that he's closer to the NHL but that doesn't really factor in with me. I care about ceiling vs likelihood of reaching ceiling.

Not to say Joni won't be great, I obviously can't predict the future. It's just that I'm much more confident of Klimchuk being a successful 3rd liner than I am of Ortio being a top 15 starter. If goalie only turns out to be a backup or even a 1A, I'll take the 3rd liner 10 times out of 10. Goalies are all essentially interchangeable outside the top 10, so if he doesn't attain that status he's essentially nothing special.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #59
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Klimchuk here. Often overlooked and not flashy, I think he has as good a chance as anyone on this list. I liked what he did once he was dealt to Brandon, it was good to see him end the regular season well. I see him as an eventual mainstay on the 3rd line, eventually playing a role similar to what I expect out of Frolik.

I thought about Ortio here but ultimately goalies are such a crapshoot, I find it really hard to rank them vs skaters unless they are a high end prospect like Gillies. With him you're looking at one of the top 5 goalie prospects in hockey, it's hard not to get excited about that. Where does Ortio rank? Top 15? Top 25? The only real advantage for Joni is that he's closer to the NHL but that doesn't really factor in with me. I care about ceiling vs likelihood of reaching ceiling.

Not to say Joni won't be great, I obviously can't predict the future. It's just that I'm much more confident of Klimchuk being a successful 3rd liner than I am of Ortio being a top 15 starter. If goalie only turns out to be a backup or even a 1A, I'll take the 3rd liner 10 times out of 10. Goalies are all essentially interchangeable outside the top 10, so if he doesn't attain that status he's essentially nothing special.
Nice Comparison of Klimchuk to Frolik.

Frolik was #10 overall and as a 19 year with Rimouski 65 pts in 45 games.

Klimchuk put up 80 pts in 60 games as a 19 year old with Regina/Brandon

As a 20 year old Frolik was 21 goals and 45 pts in 79 NHL games with Florida .
Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #60
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Yeah I do feel that no one is thinking about klimchuk, I'll be mad if he's not picked in the next couple rounds. He is a first round pick who's done nothing but improved but since we didn't get to see him this year in the AHL and with guys like ferland getting NHL time, he's fell. Also recency bias will play into a factor with kylington, andersson and Morrison. And don't forget about hickeys breakout year.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote