Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 1 0.26%
Andersson 3 0.78%
Arnold 3 0.78%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 1 0.26%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Ferland 169 43.90%
Gilmour 0 0%
Granlund 9 2.34%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 1 0.26%
Hickey 22 5.71%
Jankowski 9 2.34%
Kanzig 0 0%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 9 2.34%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 20 5.19%
Mangiapane 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 1 0.26%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Ortio 135 35.06%
Rafikov 1 0.26%
Sieloff 0 0%
Smith 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 1 0.26%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Swedish WJ team is worried about the tournament in December.

Flames fans are concerned about what Kylington will be in 2 or 3 years.

Big difference.

Kylington has raw talent, not unlike Nurse a year or two ago. Just because he won't be ready in a few months doesn't mean he can't be a top player in the future.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #42
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
15 people on CP think that Kylington is the Flames 4th best prospect (13 thought he was 3rd).

It is very hard to see what they are basing this on.
Really high ceiling, potential elite puck-moving defenseman.
(Not my vote, but I can see the logic.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #43
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
15 people on CP think that Kylington is the Flames 4th best prospect (13 thought he was 3rd).

The coaches in Sweden, that would have a vested interest in scouting him extremely closely, do not see him as one of best 8 under 20 D-men in Sweden.

What would the Swedish coaches have against Kylington that they don't see him like Hakan Loob sees him?

Even Loob is a bit schizophrenic in his evaluation of Kylington

followed by the obvious question why was he moved to a lower level in Sweden:

Has there ever been an U20 Swedish D-man drafted in the top 2 rounds that didn't play for the U20 team at the WJC?
You're cherry picking Loob quotes. And not very well at that.
They couldn't give him top 4 minutes like he needs to develop properly in the SHL and sent him down to give him those minutes. He also said the kid tried to do too much in his draft year and wanted to slow him down like you quoted. But not because he was bad, but because he put too much pressure on himself.

And around that same time frame he also got injured and missed the WJC and never really got everything back on track post injury.

Loob also said what he needs is stability and an organizational plan for him to maximize his development. Which is why he thinks being in NA is the best thing for him. And that SWE is not the best place for him.

Kylington has the highest ceiling out of all the prospects save Bennett. And I have faith that the Flames will do all the right things to get him to hit the high point of his ceiling. Everything will come out in the wash in this development camp.

As for the WJC, there's plenty of time between now and then for Kylington to make that roster.

EDIT: and to further put a nail in the coffin of your poor quote cherry picking skills, when Steinberg asked Loob if he thought Kylingotn would be an NHL'er he heard wrong and said "he's a year or two away.....WAIT, you asked if I think he'll ever play in the NHL? Oh yes, without a doubt."

Last edited by dammage79; 07-06-2015 at 02:19 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #44
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ortio for me, Ferland will be a very good 3rd line winger but I don't see the high end potential
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #45
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

The coaches in Sweden, that would have a vested interest in scouting him extremely closely, do not see him as one of best 8 under 20 D-men in Sweden.

What would the Swedish coaches have against Kylington that they don't see him like Hakan Loob sees him?

Even Loob is a bit schizophrenic in his evaluation of Kylington

followed by the obvious question why was he moved to a lower level in Sweden:

Has there ever been an U20 Swedish D-man drafted in the top 2 rounds that didn't play for the U20 team at the WJC?
Freeway said, either here or his blog, that the reason Kylington won't attend the World Junior camp in August was because AIK training camp and preseason is around the same time.

Also, Kylington was selected for the team last year but didn't play because of injury. He is eligible this year and also next year so saying hasn't played in the World Juniors for Sweden yet isn't a closed case yet.

Again, selected last year but was injured.
Eligible this year.
Eligible next year.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
We will have to see...We have the Jankowski standard to measure by.... he went from #5 in 2013 to #11 in 2014. He had a much better year in 2014-15 so if he drops below #11 then the CP overall evaluation of the prospect pool is that it is deeper...
*sigh* ... No, Ricardo, that is not necessarily what a drop from Jankowski means. By reciprocation, if he happens to place higher than #11 this year, we should not conclude that the talent pool has thinned. Jankowski's placement should be entirely relative to his own performance this year, which was very good. I, for one, won't at all be surprised to see him in the top ten, but will not conclude that this is a result of a thinner pool of prospects.

Quote:
If we drafted a Pelech/Chucko or Niemsiz with the 15th pick overall this year I am pretty sure that CP would listen to the rationale provided by the Flames management team and have him in the top 5 Jankowski style...
I rather think that if the Flames had drafted the next Pelech/Chucko or Nemisz (sp.), then more likely we would all have been subjected to your proclamations of success, since these are the sorts of players that fit neatly into your RGI index.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-06-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #47
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hickey is head-and-shoulders our best defence prospect, in my opinion. Going with him.

I like Ferland, but there are a few prospects I would pick ahead of him. I don't think he has a huge ceiling, but he's someone I love on the team.

1) Bennett
2) Poirier
3) Gillies
4) Hickey
5) Klimchuk
6) Ortio
7) Ferland
8) Wotherspoon
9) Jankowski
10) Kylington
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #48
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going Ortio, then Ferland. Continuing to only have guys with top 6 upside, top 4 d, and starting goalies in the options and then going whose the closest. Ortio and Ferland are equally close with Ortios starting goalie upside higher band Ferlands 2nd line winger upside.

Will have to think about where to go in spot six as we appear to be going Ferland than Ortio in the 4/5 slots.

Thinking in the kylington, Adresson, Hickey ball park.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #49
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanFromBC View Post
Ferland should be in our top 10 prospects, but I really can't see him being much more than a 3rd line energy guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan23 View Post
Ortio for me, Ferland will be a very good 3rd line winger but I don't see the high end potential
Surprised you guys feel this way. Granted, Ferland hasn't really shown high skill levels in the NHL yet, but it's always been considered a big part of his game. He's a big kid with very good skating and surprisingly soft hands. He can score, hit and fight.

It's possible that it never completely comes together for him at the NHL level, but I find it hard to believe people see 3rd line energy guy as his absolute best upside.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #50
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
Surprised you guys feel this way. Granted, Ferland hasn't really shown high skill levels in the NHL yet, but it's always been considered a big part of his game. He's a big kid with very good skating and surprisingly soft hands. He can score, hit and fight.

It's possible that it never completely comes together for him at the NHL level, but I find it hard to believe people see 3rd line energy guy as his absolute best upside.

Agreed. Everything I saw from him in the playoffs reminded me of Lucic... With better skating. I could definitely see ferland put up 25+goals in the NHL. I know it's just potential at this point but he has the tools to develop into that kind of player.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #51
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure why people think Ferland is limited to become a 3rd liner. His skillset is beyond that in my opinion. He has speed and hands too. Watch the Ferland vs Vancouver video that AC made.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #52
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ortio for me too. Ferland next. good arguments for both though.
Stormchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:50 PM   #53
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder had we kept picks 15, 45, and 52 where the players Boston took would fit into our system.

Where would Zach Senyshyn (15), Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson (45), and Jeremy Lauzon (52) fit into our prospect pool?

Can we add them to maybe see how badly the Flames got away with that trade or if those guys are as highly regarded as anyone in our prospect pool.

Just an idea. I hope its not too early enough into this we can add them for a little extra fun maybe??
Old 07-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #54
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not a huge fighting advocate. Don't hate it, but don't think it's completely necessary either, but boy do I hope Ferland can end up in a reasonable fight against...what's his name Bierkeksa? Let him know that punching a player who's tied up is bad form. I hate the constant smug look on that guys face, even if he is doing it on purpose to aggravate.
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:10 PM   #55
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was away for the weekend but I would have had Ortio at 2. I'm surprised gillies got the nod first
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 PM   #56
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
Was away for the weekend but I would have had Ortio at 2. I'm surprised gillies got the nod first
Shiny new toy syndrome.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 11:42 PM   #57
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Shiny new toy syndrome.
Gillies was drafted in 2012, hardly shiny new toy syndrome. Hell there was a run-off vote between the last two in last summers version of this ranking.

Some of you take who you're voting for way too seriously.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 07-06-2015 at 11:47 PM. Reason: wrong draft year
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #58
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

He's not exactly new... Been in the system for 3 years.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2015, 12:01 AM   #59
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think he got ranked third because he was the MVP of the frozen four and won the national championship while posting some pretty stellar career numbers in college all while being 6'6".

But maybe it's because he's shiny, i don't know.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:12 AM   #60
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies vs. Ortio is a consistently good 75th draft pick vs. a 171st pick that has only looked truly promising the last couple of years.

In the first summer prospect ranking in 2013 CP had Ortio at #30. Which seemed about right at the time.

Also:
If Ortio ends up being a starter, that 2009 draft doesn't look bad at all.
(Especially since we still have Wotherspoon and Granlund as assets from the Erixon trade.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote