Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2023, 06:38 PM   #81
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1622963890727407616

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:42 PM   #82
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

First and foremost...the devastation of the region and the people/families suffering within those areas is absolutely horrible to watch and think about.

On the science note...I find it really tiresome that scientific discussion on Twitter consistently turns into true-isms. Science by definition is speaking about a result in a very specific set of boundary conditions and continuing to prove or disprove those boundaries. Condensing this into a headline without boundary conditions is by definition a fools exercise and not science.

Now...for this particular case, to me this looks like the early works of science. The fellow has an observation and a hypothesis about a correlation / causation of two events. Is it ridiculous to imagine that our moon and sun have impacts on our tectonic plates, if they currently manage our ocean tides and path in the solar system? Likewise is it ridiculous to imagine that the dominant forces in the natural movement of tectonic plates far outweigh the impacts of external bodies? Sure on both...so what studies have been done to refute or support these rather than a popularity contest of I believe this or don't believe this...

#endrant...
Old 02-07-2023, 07:43 PM   #83
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
According to that link, we are in zone 5 and we can expect 15cm of ash.

I don't think that's terribly catastrophic? It would be like a snow day, just black.
Volcanic ash weighs from double to up to 40 times what snow can weigh, depending on the ash and the snow. "New, unsettled snow" weighs between 50-70 kg/m^3 wheras "settled snow" can get as high as 300 kg/m^3. I doubt that Calgary frequently experiences snow of that weight or density and that what we're used to as a 'snow day' is almost entirely of the 'new-unsettled' kind.

The weight of volcanic ash depends on its water content, whether it's raining as it's falling or not. Dry ash is 500-700 kg/m^3, wheras saturated ash can reach 2000 kg/m^3

An average home footprint is maybe something like 10x12 meters?

10x12x0.15 = 18 m^3 of volcanic ash resting on a house. So, 9,000 kg at the low end, up to 36,000 kg on the high end.

Now that's on a house, which with a peaked roof is unlikely to accumulate the maximum possible. However, an apartment building, or commercial structures with their flat roofs and larger surface areas are going to see an enormous accumulation of weight they are almost certainly not designed to take.

15 centimeters of ash falling on Calgary would be a pretty bad day.

source: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanic_...thickness.html

Last edited by driveway; 02-07-2023 at 07:59 PM.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 01:33 AM   #84
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Of all the pics and videos I've seen about this tragedy so far the one that just absolutely wrecks me is the one with the father sitting in the rubble and holding his dead 15 year old daughter's hand who was killed in her bed. I can't imagine living with that kind of pain.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 03:34 AM   #85
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy stuff coming put of Turkey and Syria. I didn't know they were susceptible to big quakes like this. Devastating. City blocks have crumbled. Insane.

R.e the Cascadia Subduction event. The key word in that little Diddy is Liquefaction. I've been reading a lot on this over the last two years. And if this Twitter dude is calling for some Cascadia action on the back half of 2023. Well that settles it, time to punch that ferry ticket off this rock.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:43 AM   #86
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Crazy stuff coming put of Turkey and Syria. I didn't know they were susceptible to big quakes like this. Devastating. City blocks have crumbled. Insane.

R.e the Cascadia Subduction event. The key word in that little Diddy is Liquefaction. I've been reading a lot on this over the last two years. And if this Twitter dude is calling for some Cascadia action on the back half of 2023. Well that settles it, time to punch that ferry ticket off this rock.
This map will give you an idea where not to move if you can help it.

Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:35 AM   #87
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Volcanic ash weighs from double to up to 40 times what snow can weigh, depending on the ash and the snow. "New, unsettled snow" weighs between 50-70 kg/m^3 wheras "settled snow" can get as high as 300 kg/m^3. I doubt that Calgary frequently experiences snow of that weight or density and that what we're used to as a 'snow day' is almost entirely of the 'new-unsettled' kind.

The weight of volcanic ash depends on its water content, whether it's raining as it's falling or not. Dry ash is 500-700 kg/m^3, wheras saturated ash can reach 2000 kg/m^3

An average home footprint is maybe something like 10x12 meters?

10x12x0.15 = 18 m^3 of volcanic ash resting on a house. So, 9,000 kg at the low end, up to 36,000 kg on the high end.

Now that's on a house, which with a peaked roof is unlikely to accumulate the maximum possible. However, an apartment building, or commercial structures with their flat roofs and larger surface areas are going to see an enormous accumulation of weight they are almost certainly not designed to take.

15 centimeters of ash falling on Calgary would be a pretty bad day.

source: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanic_...thickness.html
I'd like to steer the conversation back to the Turkey/Syria tragedy.

Would just like to say that a massive volcanic event like that would mean disruptions of food supply chains to such an extent that I think 15cm of ash is the least of our worries.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:09 AM   #88
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
First and foremost...the devastation of the region and the people/families suffering within those areas is absolutely horrible to watch and think about.

On the science note...I find it really tiresome that scientific discussion on Twitter consistently turns into true-isms. Science by definition is speaking about a result in a very specific set of boundary conditions and continuing to prove or disprove those boundaries. Condensing this into a headline without boundary conditions is by definition a fools exercise and not science.

Now...for this particular case, to me this looks like the early works of science. The fellow has an observation and a hypothesis about a correlation / causation of two events. Is it ridiculous to imagine that our moon and sun have impacts on our tectonic plates, if they currently manage our ocean tides and path in the solar system? Likewise is it ridiculous to imagine that the dominant forces in the natural movement of tectonic plates far outweigh the impacts of external bodies? Sure on both...so what studies have been done to refute or support these rather than a popularity contest of I believe this or don't believe this...

#endrant...
Current consensus of tectonic movement: internal convection within the mantle possibly controlled along the D-layer (area bordering the mantle and outer core, however, much is not known) along with slab pull and ridge push of the plates (5%-15% ridge push). I’ve heard of a new study making the hypothesis of the sun and moon possibly having an influence— however, what I’ve been told within the university department, is that the results are spotty.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 02-08-2023 at 11:11 AM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TherapyforGlencross For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 07:21 PM   #89
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

This is one of the most emotional videos I've ever seen. A Syrian father protected his young son at the cost of his own life

NSFW!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #90
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This is one of the most emotional videos I've ever seen. A Syrian father protected his young son at the cost of his own life

NSFW!
That's so devastating to watch.

I also just saw from Syria's Foreign Ministry that because of American sanctions, relief aid being sent to the Syrian tragedy from many countries is getting blocked.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:41 PM   #91
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

15000 dead now, but I'd imagine it will grow to much more.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:26 AM   #92
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
That's so devastating to watch.
I also just saw from Syria's Foreign Ministry that because of American sanctions, relief aid being sent to the Syrian tragedy from many countries is getting blocked.
I don't pretend to know all the nuance around the Syrian conflict, but that just seems wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 09:29 AM   #93
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do you trust the Assad regime to allow the relief aid to reach it’s goals?
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:41 AM   #94
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Do you trust the Assad regime to allow the relief aid to reach it’s goals?
No. But surely there is a way to help people in his country.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 09:44 AM   #95
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anyone does want to donate to the relief efforts, here's the link to the Canadian Red Cross Appeal.

https://donate.redcross.ca/page/1218...yID=8-19912452
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 11:55 AM   #96
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine being from Calgary and experiencing that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2023, 08:18 AM   #97
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Videoes emerges of Turkey President Erdogan bragging about scheme to let builders across Turkey to bypass Earthquake Safety standards and inspections in exchange for a "Zoning Amnesty" fee. aka. Bribe me and we'll just let you build whatever. This directly lead to the huge numbers of pancaking apartment buildings in the area, and the current 39K+ and counting death toll. Doing this and "spending" the $33B Earthquake fund (likely in part on his presidential palace complex), Erdogan is morally bankrupt. Guy can't lose the upcoming election soon enough.

Quote:
In one video, taken during a campaign stop ahead of Turkey's March 2019 local elections, Erdogan listed some of his government's top achievements — including new housing for the city of Kahramanmaras, also known as Maras, near the epicenter of last week's quake.

"We solved the problem of 144,156 citizens of Maras with zoning amnesty," Erdogan said, using his term for the construction amnesties handed out to allow contractors to ignore the safety codes that had been put on the books specifically to make apartment blocks, houses and office buildings more resistant to earthquakes.

Engineers and architects say the lack of safety features designed to absorb the shock of earthquakes likely contributed to the soaring death toll.

the country's main association of engineers and architects weighed in with a scathing attack on the practice of amnesties for builders, saying, "Zoning amnesty is an invitation to death."

The association added, "In our country, zoning amnesties have been one of the most important incentives for illegal construction and have made it uncertain for the society to live in healthy and safe houses." The group said the practice is used "for the sake of political gain," and must be stopped.
https://www.npr.org/2023/02/13/11565...uilding-safety

Scheme dates back to 1997, when he was mayor of Istanbul. "We're granting building permits to illegal buildings in exchange for donations"
https://twitter.com/user/status/1623991052699938816

Last edited by FlameOn; 02-14-2023 at 09:45 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2023, 09:41 AM   #98
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jail time or the Gaddafi knife in the butt?
Old 02-14-2023, 09:44 AM   #99
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Authoritarian is corrupt. This is news to no one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2023, 10:01 AM   #100
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Erdogan's wife patted the head of a little person she mistook for a child.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote