Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2023, 01:28 PM   #61
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Usually a glasses wearer out of convenience, but I find my vision is better with contacts (partly because I can never get my glasses totally spotless, also I think they are degrading over time), particularly at night. However, I don't need contacts very often, so I had assumed that I'd be a great fit for dailies (at least now that technology has improved and they are available for more prescriptions, as I have astigmatism).

I went to an optometrist who was able to find some fine monthly contacts for me, but all the dailies they tried for me were unacceptably blurry. (When I have cause to wear contacts, I need my vision to be excellent.) Couldn't get a satisfactory answer from them as to why this was the case. They also provided a prescription for both the dailies and the monthlies and while not identical, seemed pretty close. Is it just the discrepancy between prescriptions that could cause this, or what else might be going on?

Also are there any solutions you might suggest for my general use case? Will DM you some more details that are personal information.

I suspect my answer might be this one:
Daily contacts lenses do not come in as many parameters as the monthly lenses do. So in some cases you can not achieve the vision of monthly lenses in dailies. Daily Parameters are being expanded all the time though and its possible that in the near future your rx could be accommodated.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:29 PM   #62
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
I have had a stye since thanksgiving, i have gone to the doctor twice and they tell me to do warm compresses.

its a minor stye acts up once in a while but annoying, is there anything other than warm compress i can do to get rid of this thing?
Yes. Can use Topical Ointment, and/or Oral antibiotics, on them to clear them up. However, If you leave it too long they will solidify and can only be removed via surgery.

Go to an Optometrist and get real care. Hot Compresses can only do so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2023, 01:34 PM   #63
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

once you're used to contacts, they beat glasses in every regard

only thing is remembering to take them out for a period of time to let your eyes rest, and switching them frequently enough that they don't start to tear and irritate your eyes

you can't beat lenses because they follow your eye wherever you look, so your field of view isn't limited to the area within the frames

I'd argue that because of how they remain clean and stick to the surface of the eye, if you're using the right prescription then you probably get the best clarity with contacts. I least that's been the case for me

I've found recent glasses I've tried to dull edges and lines, giving then a 3D/blocky effect

maybe that's the prism type lenses. honestly those are annoying. feeling muscle tug/tension every time you try to peer through them is not a comfortable feeling

then there's the fogging/dirt/smudges

even looking like a suave, sophisticated mfer can't make up for the loss in comfort
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 03:39 PM   #64
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Usually a glasses wearer out of convenience, but I find my vision is better with contacts (partly because I can never get my glasses totally spotless, also I think they are degrading over time), particularly at night. However, I don't need contacts very often, so I had assumed that I'd be a great fit for dailies (at least now that technology has improved and they are available for more prescriptions, as I have astigmatism).

I went to an optometrist who was able to find some fine monthly contacts for me, but all the dailies they tried for me were unacceptably blurry. (When I have cause to wear contacts, I need my vision to be excellent.) Couldn't get a satisfactory answer from them as to why this was the case. They also provided a prescription for both the dailies and the monthlies and while not identical, seemed pretty close. Is it just the discrepancy between prescriptions that could cause this, or what else might be going on?

Also are there any solutions you might suggest for my general use case? Will DM you some more details that are personal information.

I suspect my answer might be this one:
Not contacts... but ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning glasses is a game changer. Just use water. No need for detergent. It's also satisfying to watch the ultrasonic vibrations cause the oils to float off the glasses and to the surface of the water like sediment being disturbed under water. $20-40 ones that are 30W or 50W should work fine for basic glasses cleaning. You might want spend a tiny bit more to get a more powerful one if you want to do jewelry as well.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 04:27 PM   #65
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Yes. Can use Topical Ointment, and/or Oral antibiotics, on them to clear them up. However, If you leave it too long they will solidify and can only be removed via surgery.

Go to an Optometrist and get real care. Hot Compresses can only do so much.
Came in to ask about styes and got an answer right away! HA!
I've never had one and woke up with one this morning. I feel like Woogie from Something about Mary. Coincidently I had a doctor's appointment this morning and all he said was the warm compresses. But I was wondering how long to give it a chance to go away before seeing my eye doc? I'm scheduled for a check up March 1... I'm guessing would be worth it to go in earlier? I have an AMAZING Optometrist and I bet he would be pretty booked up OUCH! hurts to wink.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #66
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Came in to ask about styes and got an answer right away! HA!
I've never had one and woke up with one this morning. I feel like Woogie from Something about Mary. Coincidently I had a doctor's appointment this morning and all he said was the warm compresses. But I was wondering how long to give it a chance to go away before seeing my eye doc? I'm scheduled for a check up March 1... I'm guessing would be worth it to go in earlier? I have an AMAZING Optometrist and I bet he would be pretty booked up OUCH! hurts to wink.
This Optometrist can likely get you in next week. IF it is not better by Monday I would call and book an appointment.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:55 PM   #67
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like I was given a rundown on this a couple years ago but for a refresher

What would you recommend for a daily length of usage to have your contacts in?

Any potential side effects can come from over-wearing contacts on a daily basis?

I've always told my place the amount of daily hours I keep them in but they've just taken that for their records & never given me feedback on whether that was a good amount of time, or if I should be wearing them less.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:24 AM   #68
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I feel like I was given a rundown on this a couple years ago but for a refresher

What would you recommend for a daily length of usage to have your contacts in?

Any potential side effects can come from over-wearing contacts on a daily basis?

I've always told my place the amount of daily hours I keep them in but they've just taken that for their records & never given me feedback on whether that was a good amount of time, or if I should be wearing them less.
It is kind of dependent on the person and the lens you are using.

New Contact Lenses are designed to be used for long hours but you should take them out if you feel any irritation or if the eyes are red. Some people can wear them for only 4 hours, others for 18.

Contact Lens use in general leads to an increased risk of Eye infection. Over-wearing them increases this risk more.

Generally I counsel like this..

1) Take as many breaks from Contacts as you can
2) Do not wear a daily more than a day, a Bi-weekly more than 2 weeks or a Monthly more than a month
3) Do not wear your contacts while you are sick
4) Do not sleep overnight in your contacts.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:31 AM   #69
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the glass half full or do I need reading glasses?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:40 AM   #70
Jude
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Appreciate the thread and your contributions Knut!

I am planning on getting corrective eye surgery this year and have been to a couple of clinics here in Calgary for consultations.

The first one told me I was a good candidate for Custom Wavefront Lasik because I had good cornea thickness and touchups but the second informed me I was not eligible for Lasik and I can only do PRK/lens implants because my cornea isn't thick enough...

The second location had an optometrist I could speak to whereas the first one didn't.

Just wondering is it because one offers custom wavefront and the other doesn't? Or is there going to a chance if I go with the first clinic the surgeon will go over my tests on the day of surgery and say I'm actually not eligible for Lasik?

I see the pros and cons of both Lasik and PRK and I'm still debating it internally but I'm just surprised I got two very conflicting results.

Do you personally have a recommendation on the clinic / surgeon to go to? Feel free to DM if you don't want to shill in public!
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:51 AM   #71
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

One more question on styes, the actual infected part has drained completely and pain is gone (used hot compresses) but how long should it take for the associated redness to go away around where the stye was?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #72
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Is the glass half full or do I need reading glasses?
Yes and Yes !
Old 02-13-2023, 02:36 PM   #73
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Appreciate the thread and your contributions Knut!

I am planning on getting corrective eye surgery this year and have been to a couple of clinics here in Calgary for consultations.

The first one told me I was a good candidate for Custom Wavefront Lasik because I had good cornea thickness and touchups but the second informed me I was not eligible for Lasik and I can only do PRK/lens implants because my cornea isn't thick enough...

The second location had an optometrist I could speak to whereas the first one didn't.

Just wondering is it because one offers custom wavefront and the other doesn't? Or is there going to a chance if I go with the first clinic the surgeon will go over my tests on the day of surgery and say I'm actually not eligible for Lasik?

I see the pros and cons of both Lasik and PRK and I'm still debating it internally but I'm just surprised I got two very conflicting results.

Do you personally have a recommendation on the clinic / surgeon to go to? Feel free to DM if you don't want to shill in public!

That seems like a bit of a pickle. If the second one has an Optometrist on staff they are likely more credible but there are no names posted. You can PM me the names and I can give an opinion privately.

PRK is shorter term pain (longer recovery and poorer initial vision) but it seems to have better Long term results vs. LASIK. Both places seem to be ok with PRK with you. PRK is better with high prescriptions as well.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:37 PM   #74
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
One more question on styes, the actual infected part has drained completely and pain is gone (used hot compresses) but how long should it take for the associated redness to go away around where the stye was?
It can linger for quite some time. The skin was stretched out and Swollen. If there is no bump in the area anymore you it should go away within a few weeks.
Old 02-13-2023, 03:51 PM   #75
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are the actual stats on people who complications related to laser eye surgery? I've heard 2% have complications but I personally know a few who have had issues. Is it worth the risk for the average person who hates wearing glasses?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:24 PM   #76
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What are the actual stats on people who complications related to laser eye surgery? I've heard 2% have complications but I personally know a few who have had issues. Is it worth the risk for the average person who hates wearing glasses?
It’s tough to get actual stats but it’s essentially.

95/100 goes off without a hitch
4/100 has a complication that can be fixed
1/100 have a complication that leaves you with worse Vision Vs beforehand.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:53 PM   #77
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Can a person with severe astigmatism be a good candidate for laser eye surgery?

My glasses and contacts are unbelievably expensive. ~$700 for a years supply of contact lenses and the last pair of glasses I purchased was upwards ~$1000 ($300 frames and $700 for lenses).

Even just aside from the convenience of never wearing glasses, I'm starting to think there is a good just to get the surgery done and not worry about the yearly cost of lenses and glasses.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 01:44 PM   #78
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Can a person with severe astigmatism be a good candidate for laser eye surgery?

My glasses and contacts are unbelievably expensive. ~$700 for a years supply of contact lenses and the last pair of glasses I purchased was upwards ~$1000 ($300 frames and $700 for lenses).

Even just aside from the convenience of never wearing glasses, I'm starting to think there is a good just to get the surgery done and not worry about the yearly cost of lenses and glasses.
It wholly dependent on your prescription and the thickness of your cornea. For the most part Astigmatism up to -4.00 can be corrected but if you have significant Myopia as well that number goes down.

There is also combination surgeries. PRK + Implantable Contact Lens that could combine to fully correct the vision.

If you are older and losing your near vision you could opt for Refractive Lens Exchange as well (essentially Cataract surgery without having Cataracts).
Old 03-03-2023, 10:32 AM   #79
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone with positive experiences buying glasses online?

How do you manage your benefits with this?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:35 AM   #80
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've used FramesDirect and smartbuyglasses. Smartbuy tends to have good sun glass options, but lots of what they have isn't in stock, and they will push you to other products. If you aren't in a rush you can wait for them to get them, which is what I have done.

Framesdirect has been great, I've ordered several pairs from them. I do have an easy prescription. My wife's is much more difficult, and when it didn't work out with one pair, they let her pcik another for free. I'd recommend them. For benefits I just have to submit a receipt.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: