Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2023, 02:48 PM   #1921
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tied in with my post about the cancer being back in my brain, I can't play for a year, while I'm going through chemo. In my last game of the season 7 year, both teams combined to send me off like this!
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:01 PM   #1922
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
Tied in with my post about the cancer being back in my brain, I can't play for a year, while I'm going through chemo. In my last game of the season 7 year, both teams combined to send me off like this!
A former work colleague also dealt with a significant brain tumour several years back. Had major surgery and has a good size head lump… but he fought hard and did all the work needed and has been back playing hockey for a while now and enjoying life and being there for his kids/wife, and consuming beer and wings. He’s definitely more grateful for all of life’s gifts and experiences.

So to help your spirits keep going to some games and heckle from the sidelines and hopefully we’ll see the next video for your return!!
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 10:06 AM   #1923
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

My car is dirty and my son drew our family into the dust. I could freak out because it could potentially scratch the paint, but there's more important things to worry about. The joy on his face when he showed me the pic and said this is our car, so I drew a picture of us so people will know...

I just asked him to be gentle when he draws in the dust and he said OK. I took a pic of the pic he drew, sent it to the wife and just thinking about it makes me stupid grin.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 08:31 PM   #1924
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
My car is dirty and my son drew our family into the dust. I could freak out because it could potentially scratch the paint, but there's more important things to worry about. The joy on his face when he showed me the pic and said this is our car, so I drew a picture of us so people will know...

I just asked him to be gentle when he draws in the dust and he said OK. I took a pic of the pic he drew, sent it to the wife and just thinking about it makes me stupid grin.
When it’s that dirty better be careful of those juveniles drawing penis’. So wonderfully immature I was about to do it to my buddies car but he caught me. Hehe hehe. Next time…
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 09:29 PM   #1925
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Board games, cards, fire, spinning vinyl. Night away from home with family.

So blessed.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:21 AM   #1926
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally convincing my partner to "allow" me to get a new set of goalie pads that
i can work on breaking in until I'm finished chemo and allowed back in the dressing room!

They're plain white, but I bought some PadSkinz and am going to design and put and angel graphic on them. Our team name is the ARCAngels.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 08:39 AM   #1927
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best part about being a goalie is getting flamboyant gear
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 09:14 AM   #1928
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrlGoalie33 View Post
Finally convincing my partner to "allow" me to get a new set of goalie pads that
i can work on breaking in until I'm finished chemo and allowed back in the dressing room!

They're plain white, but I bought some PadSkinz and am going to design and put and angel graphic on them. Our team name is the ARCAngels.

GrrlGoalie33 - have you used padskinz before?? i did up mine almost 10 years ago. they are definitely showing their age but still look good! the adhesive is crazy sticky!!!

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=138337
Old 02-08-2023, 09:23 AM   #1929
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Have there been studies on the types of graphics on pads that could - sort of - fool offensive players best? Like targets dead centre to draw they eye toward shooting the puck at the pad? Or like weird camouflage so the side 4" of each pad just looks like the back of the net? IDK, I think I'd try to get something that entices/tricks a player to take a shot right at my pad.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:28 AM   #1930
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Have there been studies on the types of graphics on pads that could - sort of - fool offensive players best? Like targets dead centre to draw they eye toward shooting the puck at the pad? Or like weird camouflage so the side 4" of each pad just looks like the back of the net? IDK, I think I'd try to get something that entices/tricks a player to take a shot right at my pad.
Spoiler!

Doesn't really work IMO. Or I'm just a born sniper and it doesn't work on me.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 09:30 AM   #1931
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Spoiler!

Doesn't really work IMO. Or I'm just a born sniper and it doesn't work on me.
OMG, those pads are awesome. That's exactly what I was thinking.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:09 AM   #1932
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always wondered if goalie pads done up in dazzle camouflage (like a WWI ship) would mess up a shooter.

Spoiler!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:15 AM   #1933
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are schools of thoughts about pad colour.The canucks goalie coach requires his goalies to use predominantly white pads with no colour on the outer roll as he believes the colour defines the pads for the shooter.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:26 AM   #1934
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are schools of thoughts about pad colour.The canucks goalie coach requires his goalies to use predominantly white pads with no colour on the outer roll as he believes the colour defines the pads for the shooter.
I think its all hogwash.

If a shooter is under pressure, or battling in the slot, he's firing the puck as best he can toward the general direction of the net. He's not even concerned with where the goalie is.

If he's streaking and has a clear shot and view, the goalie gear isn't going to deter him from shooting at the corners anyway.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:04 PM   #1935
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think its all hogwash.

If a shooter is under pressure, or battling in the slot, he's firing the puck as best he can toward the general direction of the net. He's not even concerned with where the goalie is.

If he's streaking and has a clear shot and view, the goalie gear isn't going to deter him from shooting at the corners anyway.
Here's an interesting 2019 article on the topic from nhl.com
Old 02-08-2023, 04:14 PM   #1936
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think its all hogwash.

I think the standing up ones are hogwash (ie: The net and post color one). Players are used to the positioning of the net and I believe instinctively use the posts and the side boards as reference points. .

However, if you had a bunch of black ovals in weird locations, when the goalie is down and there's a bit of scrum near the front of the net, this could potentially trick the player to swipe at a shape other than the puck. I've seen some players swipe at puck marks on pads before but I've never seen someone psyched out by the pads themselves when on a breakaway or whatever.

Quote:
Here's an interesting 2019 article on the topic from nhl.com
I think the psychology is that "it depends". Certain players who instinctively shoot around things they can see (ie: Player legs, around the pads etc.) this makes it easier for them. Certain players who overthink might focus on them for a moment and then accidentally shoot at the pads vs around it instead. Or if the goalie is having a hot night, being so distinct in color might make the goalie seem bigger and intimidate opposition players.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:43 AM   #1937
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
My wife and I firmly committed to actually holding a New Year’s Resolution of being much healthier. Reduced probably 90-95% of our sugar, way lower carbs, healthy eating, no snacking, no alcohol, starting to exercise more — and we’re actually sticking to it. First 10 days or so were very difficult, like a shock to the system.

But now I’m starting to feel a lot more normal. And I hit a big milestone — already down 10 lbs! Very motivated to keep it up

Edit: forgot to add that my wife is down 7lbs too, which percentage wise is actually a little more than me, so we’re both pleased!
Update on this: We've both doubled down since then, I'm down 21lbs and my wife is down 14lbs. Random people at work starting to notice. Still lots of work to get to where I want to be but very encouraging!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2023, 12:45 PM   #1938
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am just crushing the weights these days. Hit a bit of a plateau last autumn and just couldn't see any progress. Turns out I just need to rest for December and hit the gym hard again this January.

Yesterday, I accomplished my personal best 3 rep deadlift - 405 lbs! Hitting all other high weights for the other lifts too. I've also been focusing a lot of on cardio - moreso than other years.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2023, 10:52 AM   #1939
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Woke up this morning to find my sidewalk and driveway already shovelled. I helped my neighbor out with my snowblower when we had that massive snow dump a few weeks ago, and apparently they returned the favor today. Hooray for having good neighbors
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #1940
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mother-in-law crocheted me a lovely couch blanket, and mailed it to me, it arrived today. While I am grateful and happy for that, it was what else she included in the parcel that had me super happy and even made me shed some tears.

My sister-in-law passed away in 2002. She was a single woman & pretty smart about her money/investments and between that and the sale of her house, her parents & brothers (my husband being one) received a pretty decent sum of money. We used most of the portion my husband got, to put a down payment on our first home. With what was left, we took a family vacation in late June of 2003, along Hwy 3, to the coast, over to the Island, from the Island to Washington (fun ferry ride) and throughout Wa, visiting family (all of my dad's family is in the US), back into BC and home to Alberta. Visited/stopped at a lot of interesting places and is probably our entire family's best memory. We camped in some places, got motels in others, and stayed with and visited lots of friends and family.

Anyway, apparently at some point in the years following, I made a mini "movie" with all the pictures I took. I'd completely forgotten about it and how/where my MIL found it in their stuff, I have no idea, but she sent that in the parcel. It was fun to watch and brought some tears (mostly happy) - pictures of my grandma on Mercer Island were on there, she passed away not long after, and I'm so happy my kids got to see her again at an age they remember her well. My favorite aunt (dad's sister) and her husband were also in a couple of the pictures, in Anacortes, and that was pretty special too, as my uncle passed away just a few months ago and we were unable to go to his funeral. It was a real treasure to receive today.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post: