Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2023, 02:29 PM   #261
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Napoli is absolutely murdering Juve. 5-1 with 10 minutes to go.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:16 PM   #262
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barca up 2-0 against Real Madrid in the Supercup final. Dictating play so far.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:56 PM   #263
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The AppleTV Docuseries "Super League: The War for Football" is a great retrospective on the calamity that was the concept of the Super League and the current state of Football with the influx of Billionaires, Oligarchs and Petro-State owners.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:10 AM   #264
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The AppleTV Docuseries "Super League: The War for Football" is a great retrospective on the calamity that was the concept of the Super League and the current state of Football with the influx of Billionaires, Oligarchs and Petro-State owners.
I will have to check that out. I'm pretty convinced that to compete over the longer term you have to have owners who are willing and able to spend like that though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:27 AM   #265
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I will have to check that out. I'm pretty convinced that to compete over the longer term you have to have owners who are willing and able to spend like that though.
This is sort of the issue though.

As flawed as the concept of the Super League was, it did put a big spotlight on an important element within the game, and that was that the current model is unsustainable, so you do have to give some credit to the Super Leaguers for thinking outside of that box.

The huge influx of cash is skewing any semblance of the natural workings of the economics of the game and is drawing everything towards the top.

One of the big talking points between UEFA and the SL was that it would screw over all of the smaller teams in Europe.

Well...hate to break it to UEFA, but you dont need the Super League for that, its already happening, its been happening for well over a decade now, the Pandemic just shone a giant spotlight on it.

How does anyone compete with teams that dont need any fundamental sources of revenue? You cant.

Ultimately, watching that series the thing that really stuck out to me was that we're supposed to be viewing UEFA here as the 'besieged castle' fighting for the honour of the game against the Barbarians at the Gate.

When really, that might be the roles that each of these parties seem to have assigned themselves, but thats not the ultimate reality of the situation.

The Super Leaguers made a few salient points.

1. The current model is broken and unsustainable. (It is)
2. They need more Revenue and certainty/parity (they dont and they do)

The current model of football is broken and it is unsustainable, they are right about that. You dont need to look any further than The City Group. They are establishing a footballing empire that spans the Globe. They've got teams around Europe, in MLS and in Australia and they're just expanding because they are John Hammond and InGen...'Spare No Expense.' Because to them the money literally shoots up out of the ground so they're using it to acquire assets.

But nobody else can compete with someone that has literally free access to unlimited money and no checks or balances or limitations of any kind as to how they spend it.

It would be like playing Monopoly where you start with $1000 and your opponent gets all the rest of the money in the box and has a printer behind him. You're going to lose. So....why play?

The fact that the current model is unsustainable as it stands right now is pretty obvious.

They need more Revenue.

They dont.

I'm not going to delve into the economic fallacies surrounding unlimited and constant growth, but there is lots and lots of money there and while we're banging on 'Board Game Tropes' its essentially just 'Hungry Hungry Hippos' and everyone is just trying to get as much as they can of whats there.

The Super Leaguers just wanted more balls in the game and fewer players. Not rocket science.

But thats essentially just taking a game thats broken and playing it somewhere else, eventually you're just going to run right back into the same problems.

They need Certainty and Parity.

This is essentially what it all boils down to and its not a secret. I'd wager that anyone that frequents this thread would be considered 'More than an Average Fan' With some company excepted...of course.

We all know about 'English Premiums, Big Club Premiums, etc.'

They're negotiating against smaller teams who desperately need that money and know that the team they're selling to have it.

But then you get outliers, thats the Oligarchs, the Petro-States and essentially any team owned by someone or a group that has resources beyond that of anyone else.

Its like dropping a boulder into a pond. The ripples hit everything. It completely destroys anything resembling a sound or natural economic balance. It skews everything, and some teams and organizations can roll with those waves but....

Okay...lets get this out of the way...one of the primary talking points of the SL was that the big teams wanted all the money for themselves and it would screw over the little teams in Europe.

Well...guess what having Petro-State ownership does within the constraints of the current model? Its pretty much the same thing.

They price the smaller teams entirely out of the market and relegates them to perpetual minnows because those clubs are never, ever, ever going to ever acquire anything even remotely resembling similar resources.

Right now we're seeing massive European Clubs with huge brands and enormous fanbases and impressive financial resources who cant even get a whiff of being anywhere close to those Petro-State clubs, let alone mid-table clubs in France/Germany/Italy/England/Spain. They're not even in the same conversation.

Which is why a lot of Clubs are looking at sales.

This is turning into a Wall O' Text, so I'll try and quickly wrap up with the last couple points.

The American owners are easy, they're used to everyone being on a relatively similar financial playing field so they're all for something that brings in some parity, also, they like to hedge their risk. Thats why American Sports have a Salary Cap of some kind and no relegation.

They hedge. They limit their upside, but they mitigate their risk. So they get to make nice, steady profits.

European Football conversely is like the wild, wild, West. You can make HUGE profits...but you can also lose it all.

My conclusion? Europe needs to level the playing field. I'm not advocating for a Salary Cap, but there has to be real limits on spending to keep inflationary Transfer Fees and wages under control so that they can drag the huge clubs at the top and tiny teams at the bottom more towards a happy medium in the middle.

FFP is a joke. PSG and City have both been caught red-handed and released with a gentle finger wag.

There has to a real, thought-out, rational economic structure that all teams have to adhere to, cannot circumvent and has actual, serious consequences if defied.

Do not touch Relegation/Promotion. It is a core fundamental element of the structure of the system.

But if these things arent addressed and the status quo just keeps on keeping on then really...the Super League already exists.

Those major Clubs already have UEFA dancing like a marionette. Whats the difference? Crap by any other name, would it smell as malodorous?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 01:56 PM   #266
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1616538725571330064
Old 01-20-2023, 02:01 PM   #267
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I knew it! I knew something shady was coming from Juve.

Sorry. I was watching that Super League Docuseries last night and Andrea Agnelli struck me as someone with something to hide.

Then subsequently yesterday it just so happens that he suddenly resigned as Juventus Chairman after over a decade. I wonder whats up....His family have owned Juve for a century and he was widely regarded as having done a good job.

Whats up? Apparently this. He saw this coming and scurried off the sinking ship (that his family consequently owns).

Oooh you shifty rat Agnelli...getting out before your family name gets tarred and feathered?

Banned from holding office in Italian Football for 24 months?? Oh no...

Old 01-20-2023, 02:10 PM   #268
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a more serious note though...Juventus are going to be in seriously deep financial #### if they dont make the CL this season so they are going to need one hell of a run-in.

They could very realistically be the next team that goes insolvent.

Not to mention, as Juventus is publicly traded on the Italian stock exchange, cooking their books is a far more significant legal problem than just misleading Serie A as to their finances.

Old 01-20-2023, 03:17 PM   #269
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed Pavel Nedved as a player, but man -- he's right in the mix of this.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:25 PM   #270
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

shady club doing shady things? I am absolutely shocked. Shocked!
Old 01-20-2023, 04:31 PM   #271
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
shady club doing shady things? I am absolutely shocked. Shocked!
They're not shady...they're just Italian.

Its part of their culture. They cant help it!!

Old 01-23-2023, 01:29 PM   #272
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

days after signing Yann Sommer from Gladbach, Bayern have now fired their goalie coach (who has been VERY close with Neuer and has clashed with other goalies like Nuebel).

Pretty much seals it for Neuer there ... there's nothing official yet, but there's been rumblings that his injury (he broke his leg in a skiing accident) is much worse than initially expected and could be career-ending.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:24 PM   #273
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they're also pretty upset at him for the injury. All signs point to life after Neuer and that's not necessarily a bad thing with his age
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:48 PM   #274
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Always love a good giantkilling - Sixth-tier Darvel dump out Aberdeen in historic Scottish Cup shock
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 09:04 AM   #275
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

vote for amputee overhead kick for the Puskas Award

https://twitter.com/user/status/1613921402775633921

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 10:05 AM   #276
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

That goal is insane.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:12 AM   #277
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got 2 legs and I couldnt do that. That is damned impressive.

Good for that guy.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:42 AM   #278
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
vote for amputee overhead kick for the Puskas Award

https://twitter.com/user/status/1613921402775633921
Hmm...he did an interview after that.

https://global.espn.com/football/pol...is-wonder-goal

Old 02-09-2023, 10:01 AM   #279
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one would be upset if Richarlison or Mbappe didn't win the award.

Lets go Oleksy
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:24 AM   #280
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Superleague is back……

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64578730
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diving , hooligans , orange slices