Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2023, 11:43 AM   #61
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Not to mention, these guys arent your average joes either.

I'm far from an expert, but my understanding is that any physical changes a player undergoes essentially has to happen in the off-season, be it gaining muscle or losing weight or whatever the desired change may be, because their bodies go through so much during the season that its essentially just maintenance of whatever shape they started in.

Hence the importance of the pre-season fitness levels and training camp.
There is no way you play a full season and continue a rigorous workout schedule.

Your performance on the ice would suffer greatly. Its more about maintained and probably light lifting .
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:06 PM   #62
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington was absolutely ripped going into last season. But he got manhandled and that's how he got injured.

I think at this point players need to maintain their health, not injure themselves and not overindulge in stuff that will lessen performance.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:07 PM   #63
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Having defined abs doesn't make you a better athlete lol.

Getting abs is hard enough, maintaining them is another thing.

Are we going to say offensive lineman are not top tier athletes?
Plus, if you want defined abs, you technically don't even need to workout. Just starve yourself, and bam, six pack! Doesn't mean you are a better athlete.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:44 PM   #64
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Male beauty standards are definitely absurd now, maybe more than they’ve ever been. I genuinely feel sorry for guys who chase them. It’s such a sad waste of time.

Seriously, every Flame in that picture (and Connery!) looks great. Guys need to relax.

Breaking news: pro athletes in great shape.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 05:11 PM   #65
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, the "chiseled" abs that have always been hyped by people in pop culture and fitness circles are overrated and really don't enhance a guy's overall appearance all that much. the work to attain and maintain them far exceeds the payoff in reality (vs expectations that guys build up in their mind). Unless you're equally attractive in your demeanour, it's not like it's going to be the tipping point for people finding you attractive. and spoiler alert, it is not.

You'd also have to be in a climate where walking around without a shirt is even a palatable thing to even have that region on display (and that's very ego-driven to begin with, unless you're a fitness freak where you see it as a benchmark of success.. if so, all the more power to you)

To me, building up some decent meat on your chest and arms, and merely keeping the love handles off as much as you can, is the basis for creating an objectively appealing physique. Forget about the minute details of each muscle region. Just get that basis down for yourself and you'll have every reason to feel confident

But most guys don't have that innate confidence. Even guys that start overweight, or very skinny and build up a great composition have the default mental thought loop of "i'm not fit/___ enough" so ingrained, that even when it's evident to others that they're in a great spot with their fitness, they can't see nor appreciate it themselves

I think the most important thing is cultivating a baseline of self-acceptance for your body as it is. Otherwise you'll likely experience very little appreciation for any progress you make .. brains stick to patterns. so I would say, work on what you're thinking as much as perfecting your "3D" anterior deltoids, or whatever
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:21 AM   #66
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

This entire discussion is Bear erasure and this aggression will not stand.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote