Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-04-2023, 01:44 AM   #5241
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why not leave them if they are still functional? You can find wall plates so they look nicer.

Otherwise, it’s fine to leave it orphaned behind walls, afaik.
I'm never going to have a TV above the fireplace, and there's 3 feet of cable sticking out of the office wall. Can't just stuff them into the wall either, no room
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:29 AM   #5242
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm never going to have a TV above the fireplace, and there's 3 feet of cable sticking out of the office wall. Can't just stuff them into the wall either, no room
Could you cut a larger hole in the wall, cut the cable behind the wall, throw out the excess, then patch the wall leaving the cut, long run, HDMI cable orphaned in the wall?

If you're leaving it, who cares if it's cut?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:43 AM   #5243
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
How much did that run you?

It would have to be a sump system, the city won’t let you hook anything into the sewer system.
Believe it was around $5k iirc. And yes, I just have a sump pump in there that I use to drain it as needed.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 11:36 AM   #5244
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My garage floor slopes slightly inwards so during rain or melting snow I'll get some water puddles 1/4 of the way into the garage.

Has anyone used a threshold strip like this? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tsu...kit/1000735385

Seems like it should work, basically a small dam.

Or would it be better to have something like that professionally installed? Seems easy enough but maybe sticking things to concrete isn't that simple?
I bought that exact kit several years ago.

It seems to have made the scenario better, I have a garage the barely above the alley , so all of the snow outside creates a dam when its packed down. This kit seems to hold the water outside a bit better. No issues with quality either - nothing has come loose, is falling apart, etc.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:18 AM   #5245
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I called for a quote last summer and it's running about $6,500+GST for the double car garage you see in the picture.

Decided that was just too much for me, so I'm sticking with a combination of i) a containment mat (I had one locally made to the size I wanted)

and containment socks (as Silver said above). The socks are still needed as the slope of my garage is enough that the water rises over the edge of the mat.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #5246
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now that that the bulk of the work on the bathroom reno is finally done...I'm looking for a painter. Anyone have any recc's for the work? It'd be a smaller-ish job, just a bathroom and an entryway hallway (that's bugged the wife for years).
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:17 PM   #5247
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m hoping for some feedback. In my current shop ( oversized single car garage) I have 3 fluro lights (each with 2 tubes) at 5600k (daylight).

So far it’s been enough to illuminate most of my shop.

I recently done some work which has allowed me to add another octagon so I’ll be moving from three (triangle) style light configuration to a four point (square configuration).

Does anybody have these style of lights in their garage/work space?

These units are at Costco and I’m curious of the amount of light they throw, I’m a little bit concerned about them only being 4000k, I’m worried that the light will be a bit too yellow??

https://www.costco.ca/luminus-multip...100767580.html

There are also heaps of options available on Amazon but I’m a bit concerned with a cheap product burning out and being a pile of junk.

Would these be a suitable replacement for two Fluro tubes?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:32 PM   #5248
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I’m hoping for some feedback. In my current shop ( oversized single car garage) I have 3 fluro lights (each with 2 tubes) at 5600k (daylight).

So far it’s been enough to illuminate most of my shop.

I recently done some work which has allowed me to add another octagon so I’ll be moving from three (triangle) style light configuration to a four point (square configuration).

These units are at Costco and I’m curious of the amount of light they throw, I’m a little bit concerned about them only being 4000k, I’m worried that the light will be a bit too yellow??

There are also heaps of options available on Amazon but I’m a bit concerned with a cheap product burning out and being a pile of junk.

Would these be a suitable replacement for two Fluro tubes?
I've had 4 of these in a decent sized 2 car garage for over 2 years. Quite white and plenty of light for my needs. I see this actual light isn't available but I'm sure you can find a similar one.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 09:48 PM   #5249
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I've got the Home Depot equivalent of that in my garage now, and the straight up massive corncob bulbs were better.

The problem with the corncobs is they were dying on me every year or two.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:41 PM   #5250
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gutter Guards....

Yay or Nay?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:24 PM   #5251
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Seems like a good idea but feels like in practice it's just going to move the problem around (i.e. the guards get clogged rather than the gutters) especially given our freezing and stuff.

So yeah curious to see if someone has them and likes them.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:00 PM   #5252
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’ve been told the guards can be problematic during t storm season. As we get pounded with a large storm the holes cannot let enough water through and a lot will spill over the guard.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:33 PM   #5253
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I've tried like 5 different amazon brands... they all die
The Costco one is best bang for buck and has not failed on anyone I know.
Sometimes warehouse price goes down to 25.99

I also use these to get some light where the weird angles/corners are
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lev...ite/1000105571
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/f...p.html?loc=plp
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 05:18 PM   #5254
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve been told the guards can be problematic during t storm season. As we get pounded with a large storm the holes cannot let enough water through and a lot will spill over the guard.

Can confirm....they do this for sure. Installers at our place have most of the rain coming off the roof draining onto garage roof (3 level condo) and the velocity can be insane. Basically skips right over the gutter. Not sure no gutter guard would do much to improve it though.

I kinda see both sides but not sure I'm sold on them. If I was doing this myself on a detached house, not sure I'd bother with the additional expense.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:20 PM   #5255
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

A potpourri of questions for y'all:

1. Looking to swap our gas range for induction, but I think I need a pro for removal and to cap the line - is a plumber my best bet?

1b. Presumably an appliance repair guy could do it, too? We're having an issue with our fridge's icemaker and I think it needs a new sensor as all of my troubleshooting has failed. Also considering a new fridge since I don't trust this one to live forever and I feel like it would be terribly annoying to replace on short notice, but that's probably not the most financially prudent.

2. Anyone wanna buy a Samsung gas range and fridge? Range works fine, fridge keeps food cold...

3. Also want to install a new whole house humidifier...would a plumber do this, or is it more of HVAC/furnace tech thing?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:42 PM   #5256
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

1. You need a gasfitter. Many plumbers are also gasfitters, but not all. This will be a super-simple task, consisting of removing the connection to your old range and capping or plugging the line.

1b. Technically only a gasfitter can "alter" a gas system. In reality, as I said, this is a relatively simple task.

2. No.

3. HVAC guy.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 01:23 PM   #5257
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should be able to swap the icemaker in your fridge.

I bought my replacement on Amazon.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:45 PM   #5258
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm taking possession of my house in April. It doesn't have a gas line to the back deck for the BBQ.

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who can run that line? Bonus points if they are on this forum and I can ask them this question first:

Is it possible to run the gas line from an existing fireplace line, or does the line have to come directly from the main line into the house? I'm asking because a fireplace is 10' away from the deck, but the gas main is on the other side of the house...
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:49 PM   #5259
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

When we added a connection on our lower walk-out deck they extended from the fireplace but I believe they had to replace all the line between the fireplace and the utility room so it could handle it. Our basement wasn't fully developed at the time so it was easy, but that suggests it'll depend on the size of the pipe?
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 01:51 PM   #5260
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
I'm taking possession of my house in April. It doesn't have a gas line to the back deck for the BBQ.

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who can run that line? Bonus points if they are on this forum and I can ask them this question first:

Is it possible to run the gas line from an existing fireplace line, or does the line have to come directly from the main line into the house? I'm asking because a fireplace is 10' away from the deck, but the gas main is on the other side of the house...
I had a splitter installed on my existing fireplace line to add a gas fire table last April. Cost was $675, which actually seems kind of pricey...I'm surprised I went for that. I also didn't note who did it, which I normally do. I think my wife must have arranged that one.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: