Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-17-2022, 11:07 PM   #1
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Happy Festivus - The Airing of Grievances

One of the most cherished Festivus traditions is “The Airing of Grievances”…and with the Festivus Game against the Ontario Reign just around the corner (December 20th) I figured it would be a fun idea to have an airing of grievances for the Flames/Wranglers organization.

It can be anything from on-ice performance, to in-arena experience.

“I’ve got a lot of problems and you’re going to hear about it”

For me, they are as follows

1) The Fan 960 and the Darryl Sutter worship. I find Francis, Lou, and Wills to be the worst for this, the whole “Darryl Sutter can do no wrong rhetoric” I’m sick of it…I’m missing Ryan Pinder’s bluntness and honesty while the flames struggle through this stretch.

2) The handling of Matthew Phillips this season. This team has struggled to score goals all season, and the lack of urgency to give Phillips (or anyone else) an opportunity while the original formula was not working was incredibly frustrating. An incredibly short leash with 2 games thus far and Minimal 5-on-5 ice time is not the fair shot the fans were demanding.

3) Milan Lucic’s Ice Time - This one is difficult to watch. Despite dwindling production and impactful minutes, Sutter continues to give preferential treatment to underperforming veterans like Lucic. First game after the 3 games of being a healthy scratch, Lucic having more 5-on-5 ice time than Mangiapane or Lindholm is unacceptable.

4) Lack of Radio Coverage - With all the syndicated programming and pre-recorded podcast episodes that are currently filling time on the radio, I feel it should be pretty easy to throw on the AHLTV audio broadcast on the radio on a Wednesday night (Maybe an alternate station that isn’t the Fan960 could accommodate?). As for the regular coverage of the team, I realize they currently have the Friday segment with Sandra Prusina, but the problem with weekly scheduled time slots like that is most people that listen to the radio do it while at work, or in the car. So unless your schedule coincides with that time every week, you aren’t going to hear anything.

Last one - Open Up the Duttons stairway to the concourse!! Trying to get from the main concourse from the club seats quickly is an awful experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 11:23 PM   #2
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Overly negative fan base becomes tiresome when things are going bad.

2) It's 2022, and we still don't have a new Arena. Brand new state-of-the-art Library, but no Arena. That's a joke.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 07:11 AM   #3
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

The oilers.. does that count? Can I say them? Even if I can’t it’s them and the wonder twins along with the leagues googly eyes for them lol. I’ll add in what’s become of hockey night in Canada, it used to be the event of the weekend to look forward to and now it’s just filler in between periods as far as I’m concerned.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 04:50 PM   #4
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Scorch.

It burns burns burns...
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 05:23 PM   #5
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd support The scorpion getting into the unused radio booth
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mindtravellee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #6
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel that the Flames will continue to mishandle Phillips and we will lose him on waivers or free agency. He will then sign with another team and turns out to be another Martin St. Louis, or at least another Paul Byron.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:01 PM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

No Scorchy Claus
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 02:31 PM   #8
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I feel that the Flames will continue to mishandle Phillips and we will lose him on waivers or free agency. He will then sign with another team and turns out to be another Martin St. Louis, or at least another Paul Byron.
That sounds about right.

Although I think your chances of him becoming a St Louis are maybe 3%, and the chances of him being a Paul Byron are more like 40-50%.

Really, if they aren't going to take him seriously they should trade him to a team that does.

Whether you are high on Phillips or not (I'm not), this is still a waste of assets.
jjgallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:34 PM   #9
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect trade interest in him is minimal
A team will take him for free, if available on waivers, or as a free agent in the off-season. But I don't know that a team will give up an asset for him.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 07:48 AM   #10
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Darryl Sutter hockey. Boring as hell to watch at the best of times and drives you away from the sport in general when it's not going well.

2) The prospects and the handling of the prospects. Too many small players and the ones that have size are always on a really short leash when they get a chance. When you have two #### ups like Lucic and Lewis playing in your lineup the short leash approach looks even worse. See point one.

3) The GM and choice of coaches. You draft a whole bunch of undersized prospects then bring in a coach who will only play big guys. Good work there! You have a bunch of skill players but bring in coaches who play a game around the perimeter. Brilliant!

4) The pom-pom waiving "super fans" who are blind to the obvious flaws of the team. The reason there is no accountability is because of lunatics like them. Nothing changes until the general tenor of the fanbase changes.

5) Fake noise at games. The music played at 11. The screaming idiot doing promotions. The stupid #### of trying to get people to cheer. You want people to cheer? Entertain them. Play exciting hockey. The noise is spontaneous and earned. This team doesn't earn ####.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote