Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-08-2022, 06:28 AM   #21
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player
 
Tsawwassen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
China should never have been given the Olympics due to their record on human rights violations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This is the first Olympics that I have absolutely zero interest in. Letting China host these game is a disgrace and I want no part in supporting it
Yep, the human rights issue was also a huge concern for the 2008 Beijing Summer Games. It's as if the IOC simply let all of that slide back then and are letting history repeat itself.

Hemi-Cuda, how much interest did you have for the previous Beijing games? There were plenty of people saying that it was disgraceful 14 years ago.
__________________
Remember this, TSN stands for Toronto's Sports Network!
MOD EDIT: Removed broken image link.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:12 AM   #22
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Lol the ski jumping venue constructed against the scenic backdrop of an old Chinese nuclear power plant. Well done.

https://flip.it/iXgFPg
Why can't industrial power plants be beautiful? I find it unique over mountains.

It's a former steel mill and they are actually trying to showcase repurposing industrial areas for other uses. It's likely not nuclear, but for some other super awesome product that provides affordable electricity! Some of the competitors think it's kind of neat, and I also happen to think industrial areas have their own kind of beauty.
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 07:38 AM   #23
SebC
tromboner
 
SebC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: where the lattes are
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Why can't industrial power plants be beautiful? I find it unique over mountains.

It's a former steel mill and they are actually trying to showcase repurposing industrial areas for other uses. It's likely not nuclear, but for some other super awesome product that provides affordable electricity! Some of the competitors think it's kind of neat, and I also happen to think industrial areas have their own kind of beauty.
Beauty is to some degree subjective, but there are general principles that stem from our evolutionary history that describe what most of us find beautiful. A mountain has diversity of form that cooling towers don't; details at a human scale; and colours that we associate with food, water and shelter. The cooling towers resemble vertical deserts that our subconscious minds have learnt over millennia are inhospitable.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:37 AM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Why can't industrial power plants be beautiful? I find it unique over mountains.

It's a former steel mill and they are actually trying to showcase repurposing industrial areas for other uses. It's likely not nuclear, but for some other super awesome product that provides affordable electricity! Some of the competitors think it's kind of neat, and I also happen to think industrial areas have their own kind of beauty.
I'm with you Girly. I find it very interesting to look at and actually consider it kind of a spectacular setting, in a very non traditional way.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:01 AM   #25
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Beauty is to some degree subjective, but there are general principles that stem from our evolutionary history that describe what most of us find beautiful. A mountain has diversity of form that cooling towers don't; details at a human scale; and colours that we associate with food, water and shelter. The cooling towers resemble vertical deserts that our subconscious minds have learnt over millennia are inhospitable.

Yes, that is very interesting what we are trained to see. For example, why is red brick deemed prettier than normal concrete.

Camden Yards is consider quaint and romantic. It's build beside a warehouse.
Stade Olympique is consider an ugly concrete structure


Spoiler!
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:29 AM   #26
activeStick
Franchise Player
 
activeStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

I don't know, I'm enjoying the Olympics as much as the others. Especially after Gu landed her amazing jump yesterday in all the drama, winning gold for China in the event. Amazing jump!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1491074285481467905
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #27
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Yep, the human rights issue was also a huge concern for the 2008 Beijing Summer Games. It's as if the IOC simply let all of that slide back then and are letting history repeat itself.

Hemi-Cuda, how much interest did you have for the previous Beijing games? There were plenty of people saying that it was disgraceful 14 years ago.
Well summer Olympics aren't really my thing anyway so I don't think I watched much at all of that one either. But I don't begrudge anyone who did, as back then there was hope that China might open up a bit after the Olympics. Of course that didn't happen, they went further authoritarian and opened up concentration camps and forcefully took over Hong Kong. There's zero hope of these games doing anything for China other than letting them grandstand
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:37 PM   #28
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Exp:
Default

I’m still definitely into it. I’m refreshing the board waiting for CofR’s GDT threads ��.
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:44 PM   #29
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
Iím still definitely into it. Iím refreshing the board waiting for CofRís GDT threads ��.
Yeah what's taking so long?
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 01:01 PM   #30
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

I honestly hope that this Olympics is a Finacial failure and an Embarrassment on the CCP.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:12 PM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I don't know, I'm enjoying the Olympics as much as the others. Especially after Gu landed her amazing jump yesterday in all the drama, winning gold for China in the event. Amazing jump!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1491074285481467905
Are those nuclear reactors?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/olym...68ec9c875fvzyk
https://www.foxsports.com.au/beijing...130df4889c5b28
__________________
https://www.mergenlaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966

Last edited by troutman; 02-08-2022 at 01:14 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:39 PM   #32
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

It's not, I explained above, they are former steel mills now converted to cooling towers. There's a shopping mall there too!
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 02:06 PM   #33
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's not, I explained above, they are former steel mills now converted to cooling towers. There's a shopping mall there too!
Thanks I stand corrected.

But still looks strange, like a ski jump at Chernobyl.

I guess we are used to seeing pristine mountain scenery with evergreens snd and snow capped peaks. Even the other venues are weird, dedicated tracks with man made snow cut through brown terrain. Contrast that against the World Cup events at Lake Louise, which by the way draw huge TV audiences in Europe.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:07 PM   #34
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Thanks I stand corrected.

But still looks strange, like a ski jump at Chernobyl.

I guess we are used to seeing pristine mountain scenery with evergreens snd and snow capped peaks. Even the other venues are weird, dedicated tracks with man made snow cut through brown terrain. Contrast that against the World Cup events at Lake Louise, which by the way draw huge TV audiences in Europe.
Repurosing can be cool

I bungee jumped of this in Soweto

__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:14 PM   #35
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

i know what you guys are thinking


__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 08:52 PM   #36
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Why do so many of the skiing commentators on CBC have inexplicable British or Down Under accents?
__________________
https://www.mergenlaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:03 PM   #37
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Why do so many of the skiing commentators on CBC have inexplicable British or Down Under accents?
Taking from international feed?
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2022, 07:18 PM   #38
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Why do so many of the skiing commentators on CBC have inexplicable British or Down Under accents?
This is the OBS feed.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021