Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2022, 02:09 PM   #8561
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's isn't recent, it's been known for a lone time.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:18 PM   #8562
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
It's isn't recent, it's been known for a lone time.
It's news to me.

I love the 2 reactions tho.

"oh this is old news"
"WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT"
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #8563
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Itís definitely not my thing, but what happens between consenting adultsÖ
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:32 PM   #8564
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

What’s a little bit of poop on the face, neck and chest between friends?

Certainly better than a stranger’s poop.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:17 PM   #8565
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
When did starting meetings at 10 after the hour become a thing?

Sometimes I'll do that purposely... for example if I know what someones prior meeting is (and that it habitually goes 5-10mins late), then I may do that. Also if I see that someone has ~2hours of straight meetings (or more) prior to mine... I'll give a little leeway for snack/bio break. Sometimes I'll do it because I only want to talk to them for what should be 5-10mins and so it slots in nicely between lets say a 10am finish and their next 1030am start. In yonder days of yore when legend had it people had physical meetings in multistory office towers... people needed time to navigate their way.

That said... It ticks me off how some office cultures are HABITUALLY late for ALL meetings. Typically not for any good reason. In the days of the office they would only leave their office/cubicle at the appointed start time and slowly stroll to the meeting room. I owned more than a few meetings where if they came in 10mins past I'd wrap up the meeting within 2-3 mins.

Also I have one senior fella I work with a lot... GREAT guy, great info, truly has a heart of gold and is passionate about his work and helps drive for results. Except... often... goes off on tangents which, whilst interesting, are misplaced for the meeting. Hard dealing with that too... They just have zero self-perception / emotional intelligence about office and meeting courtesy. yeah, and they're the reason for meetings going ~5-10mins longer than planned.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:38 PM   #8566
GordonBlue
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
There is a childrens entertainer named blippi.

its been recently exposed that he has a tape somewhere online of him pooping on his friend.
another to say not recently exposed. it's been known for years.

it wasn't a casual poop on a buddy thing, but on stage as before he hit on the goldmine of kids entertainment, he tried to be a shock comic.
he had his legal team work hard to bury it as much as he could.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:43 PM   #8567
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t wait till djflames asks me about the oilers. Especially with the battle of Alberta tonight. I haven’t watched a game in months and not watching tonight.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:30 PM   #8568
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

N/m

Last edited by Weitz; 01-23-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #8569
Ashartus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I really really try not to have back to back meetings. When I accept a meeting say 10-11am, I immediately block 9:30-10:00 and 11:00-11:30 on my calendar. That's how I go on Calgary Puck

I like to do the opposite. If I have a meeting booked 10:00-11:00 with someone that tends to go long, I like to book something else at 11:00. Then 11:00 rolls around and I say "sorry, I have to leave, I have another meeting now."
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #8570
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

I really really try not to have back to back meetings. When I accept a meeting say 10-11am, I immediately block 9:30-10:00 and 11:00-11:30 on my calendar. That's how I go on Calgary Puck
This is genius.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:49 PM   #8571
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
This is genius.
This is based on an old usenet joke:

Slow day: didn't have much to do, so spent three hours on Calgary Puck.
Busy day: managed to work in three hours of Calgary Puck.
Bad day: barely squeezed in three hours of Calgary Puck.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:08 PM   #8572
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

In terms of meeting etiquette, my biggest pet peeve is waiting around for the people who do show up late.

"Hey there 10 people who arrived on time, let's give X and Y a few more minutes and then we'll get started"

Okay...so you are wasting 10 people's time who showed up on time, to wait for one or two stragglers? If I'm running the meeting I'll always start on time and let the people join late have to catch-up. I'm sure some people will say I'm being inconsiderate, but I really don't see it that way.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:16 PM   #8573
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The meeting starts when the meeting starts. There are many legit reasons to be late, that's fine, just understand that you missed something because of it
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 09:13 PM   #8574
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
In terms of meeting etiquette, my biggest pet peeve is waiting around for the people who do show up late.

"Hey there 10 people who arrived on time, let's give X and Y a few more minutes and then we'll get started"

Okay...so you are wasting 10 people's time who showed up on time, to wait for one or two stragglers? If I'm running the meeting I'll always start on time and let the people join late have to catch-up. I'm sure some people will say I'm being inconsiderate, but I really don't see it that way.
I’ll wait a bit if it’s a decision maker… but usually I’ll just start in with the introductions as needed, purpose of meeting/why they’re there, who is making decisions, maybe a brief safety/values moment, then dive into the agenda. Most late comers can bare to miss the intro stuff anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 11:00 PM   #8575
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’d rather die than face my job tomorrow. I curse younger me, damned fool.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #8576
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Iíd rather die than face my job tomorrow. I curse younger me, damned fool.
Why and why?
Canít undo that
We generally try to make the best decisions we can, knowing what we do, at that moment in time. No point in belaboring the past. Sometimes we donít have a choice, or choose a less optimal one for whatever reasonÖ key is learn from it instead of bringing yourself down. Or being a grumpy crabby ďKarenĒ to those around you.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:03 AM   #8577
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought in Fraggle Rock, the characterís name was ďUncle Traveling MacĒ.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:44 AM   #8578
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I notice a couple good friends that really suffer mentally with their jobs every week. One over-eats as a result, another over-drinks. I am genuinely concerned for both because they appear to be getting more jaded in their outlook about things and people over time.

This kind of thing is exactly why I decided to change paths at 30 and go all in on a career that I always thought would be meaningful, but wrote off at a younger age when I opted for a type of job that would not pay me well and stress me out greatly probably due to a lack of self-belief and just not knowing myself yet.

Now, I'll be doing academic stuff later than most, but I'm fine financially in the meantime and can balance it with work. But honestly just working toward something where I know I can bring specific gifts/skills that are natural to me to the world in a professional setting and help people on a personal level is incredibly invigorating.

As a guy especially, it's really important to have a larger purpose/mission that's meaningful to you. Even if you're not where you want to be, just being on the way there makes you walk taller, and smile more and show more vitality in the world. It's everything.

That's why I'm encouraging my friends to look at alternatives that would excite them also, even if the transition would take time, and just getting them to survey the idea in their minds and brainstorm some practical steps that they could hypothetically take to get from where they are to there.

Seeing them light up and change their entire demeanour/body language just thinking out loud about it was great to witness. And doing that kind of "gentle directing" to help people is exactly what I want to do every day.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #8579
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Why and why?
Canít undo that
We generally try to make the best decisions we can, knowing what we do, at that moment in time. No point in belaboring the past. Sometimes we donít have a choice, or choose a less optimal one for whatever reasonÖ key is learn from it instead of bringing yourself down. Or being a grumpy crabby ďKarenĒ to those around you.
Like, itís one thing to accept the realization that you have missed your opportunity to ever do the things you used to desire. Itís another to have actively engaged in the behaviour that has trapped you in some sort of existential nightmare where you truly enjoy life maybe a couple of hours a day. And thatís a cold comfort when you spend that time irritated as #### that itís rinse and repeat day after day.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #8580
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Like, itís one thing to accept the realization that you have missed your opportunity to ever do the things you used to desire. Itís another to have actively engaged in the behaviour that has trapped you in some sort of existential nightmare where you truly enjoy life maybe a couple of hours a day. And thatís a cold comfort when you spend that time irritated as #### that itís rinse and repeat day after day.
We have ALL missed opportunities, made some poor choices (maybe stupid ones too), probably missed or messed up relationships, etc. woulda coulda shoulda.
Does beating oneself up endlessly help if youíre not able to critically identify what led to the bad choice and identify what you should do better next time.
Have a goal without a plan is just a wish.
So find a way to break outÖ and it might be as simple as changing how you react, or seek advice, or decide itís time to make a small change todayÖ and another next week.

The best time to have planted your tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now.

And no, Iím not an eternal optimist and yes I do struggle with some things in life. Iíve had to pick myself up more than a few times.