Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #121
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
Can someone shed some light on Matvei Petrov? He's a 2021 Oilers 6th round pick. His stats in the MHL in his draft year seem pretty decent. Yet he fell so far down in the draft? He's pretty young for his D+1 year and 2nd in OHL scoring. Wondering if Flames could have nabbed this guy.

Also not sure...perhaps it might be due to the covid situation but Flames last couple of drafts seem to be underwhelming. Players that seem to be trending nicely are Coronato, Kerins, Poirier, Sergeev. Zary needs to have a better season. I was going through the rest of the picks and they really seem to have not developed much at all/hit a wall. Francis, Kuznetsov, Whynot, Boltmann, Huckins, Jordan, Ciona. Seems like within a year or two and most of these picks seem a write-off.

Jack Beck also seems a bit interesting. Missed his draft year? Now over point per game this season.
Petrov could be a steal for the Oilers. Good size, great numbers. He was projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick but fell to the 6th. Very similar in rankings during his draft year as Kerins, actually. Would have been nice to have taken him instead of Ciona. That pick looks like our WHL scout talked everyone into taking.

I wouldn't write off some of the picks you have named as underwhelming though. Francis and Jordan are great value picks for where they were taken. Whynot can probably become a depth/bottom pairing guy similar to Kulak. The Kuznetsov pick might hurt only because there were a lot of other options. I would have like to see Tristen Robins for example. But as a player he can probably still develop into a low-event, no nonsense 4th or 5th defenseman.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 06:04 PM   #122
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some considered Petrov to be one of the top-5 goal-scorers in his draft, and his offensive skills can't be denied, however-he's a bit of a perimeter player, and offers little in the D zone. He'll fit in with the Oilers just fine. There were plenty of quality Russian players left undrafted as is the norm, but Petrov has that skill, and the pedigree of being drafted first overall in the Import Draft.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 07:35 PM   #123
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.4th:

Kerins had no points, +1 in a 6-1 win over Sudbury.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2022, 01:56 PM   #124
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
Can someone shed some light on Matvei Petrov? He's a 2021 Oilers 6th round pick. His stats in the MHL in his draft year seem pretty decent. Yet he fell so far down in the draft? He's pretty young for his D+1 year and 2nd in OHL scoring. Wondering if Flames could have nabbed this guy.

Also not sure...perhaps it might be due to the covid situation but Flames last couple of drafts seem to be underwhelming. Players that seem to be trending nicely are Coronato, Kerins, Poirier, Sergeev. Zary needs to have a better season. I was going through the rest of the picks and they really seem to have not developed much at all/hit a wall. Francis, Kuznetsov, Whynot, Boltmann, Huckins, Jordan, Ciona. Seems like within a year or two and most of these picks seem a write-off.

Jack Beck also seems a bit interesting. Missed his draft year? Now over point per game this season.
What? Francis and Kuznetsov do not belong on that list at all.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:48 PM   #125
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only guys on that list that I truly questioned when we drafted them were Boltmann and Ciona. Boltmann is showing signs of development in college, but I still maintain that he could've been had for a later pick. Ciona, however, isn't much more than a meathead, and his skating is sub-par-real headscratcher for me. I really think that the team's drafting and development have improved by leaps and bounds in Treliving's tenure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 11:07 PM   #126
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.8th:

No points,-2 for Kerins in a 5-2 loss to Windsor. 31gp/18g/33a/51pts,+4, 10 PIM, still in 4th place in OHL scoring, 5 points out of first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2022, 08:36 PM   #127
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.9th:

Kerins with 1g,1a,-2, 7 shots in a 10-4 loss to Windsor. 32gp/19g/34a/53pts,+2, 10 PIM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 11:27 PM   #128
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.14th:

Still no Beck for Ottawa.

Jordan with 1a,+1 in a 6-2 win over Medicine Hat. 11gp/1g/2a/3pts,+3, 16 PIM.

Ciona with 1a, even, 7 shots in a 4-3 OT loss to Portland. 27gp/5g/9a/14pts,+9, 46 PIM.

The Q has pushed back their date of return to Feb.1st.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 11:31 PM   #129
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.15th:

Kerins with 1g in a 5-2 win over Owen Sound. 33gp/20g/34a/54pts,+2, 12 PIM. Tied with Matvei Petrov for 3rd in OHL scoring, only 3 points out of first.

Jordan no points,-2 in a 5-1 loss to Winnipeg. 12gp/1g/2a/3pts,+1, 16 PIM.

Ciona no points,+1 in a 5-1 win over Everett. 28gp/5g/9a/14pts,+10, 48 PIM.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:27 PM   #130
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.16th:

Kerins first star with 2g, 2a,+2 in a 6-1 win over Owen Sound. 34gp/22g/36a/58pts,+4, 12 PIM. He is second in OHL scoring behind Dallas first-rounder Wyatt Johnston by 2 points, though Johnston is 2 years younger, and has played 3 less games. Very astute draft pick for them.

Jordan with zeroes across the board in a 7-1 loss to the Pats, except for 7 PIM- 5 of which came from a fighting major. 13gp/1g/2a/3pts,+1, 23 PIM.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:13 PM   #131
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jordan, what were his main attributes? Lots of folks were high on him here but not really showing much on the stat sheet this season.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:33 AM   #132
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Jordan, what were his main attributes? Lots of folks were high on him here but not really showing much on the stat sheet this season.
Cole Jordan's main attribute is his blazing speed, and he's 6'2". This is a kid I did a pre-draft write-up on, and I was delighted when we took him. He's showing this year that he's got a very mean, chippy side as well (as his 23 PIM in 13 games would suggest). Last year, in his draft year, he put up 10 points in 23 games-but as many were quick to point out, he didn't see prime ice on a pairing with top D-man (and Minnesota draftee) Daemon Hunt. Jordan was absent for a big chunk of the first part of this season (he tried to come back for the first 2 games) with an injury I believe he suffered at the Flames' training camp, and I don't believe he's gained any traction this season, but he's a prospect I still believe in as being a potential Brodie-type, however-this season is a write-off IMO, and I will wait to see how he does next year. The problem is that he'll still be playing behind Hunt (who is only 19), and Denton Mateychuk (who will be a first-rounder this year), so perhaps a trade out of Moose Jaw will be best for him.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #133
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.19th:

Jordan with 2a,+2 in a 8-2 win over the Hitmen. 14gp/1g/4a/5pts,+3, 23 PIM.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:08 AM   #134
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.20th:

Kerins had no points,-2 in a 3-2 SO loss to Windsor. He also missed in the shootout. He slips to third in OHL scoring with 35gp/22g/36a/58pts,+2, 12 PIM.

Still no Jack Beck for Ottawa.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:13 PM   #135
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.21:

Kerins with 2a in a 4-2 win over Guelph. 36gp/22g/38a/60pts,+2, 14 PIM. Tied for second in OHL scoring, 3 points out of first.

Seattle is beating Spokane 5-0 in the 3rd, Ciona has 2g,+3. 29gp/7g/9a/16pts,+13, 48 PIM.

Last edited by Sandman; 01-22-2022 at 12:03 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 01:04 AM   #136
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.22:

Seattle falls to Portland 5-1. Ciona had no points,-1. 30gp/7g/9a/16pts,+12, 50 PIM.

Cole Jordan had no points, even, 5 minutes for fighting. 15gp/1g/4a/5pts,+3, 28 PIM.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #137
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jan.23rd:

Jordan had no points,+2 in a 4-1 victory over the Hitmen. 16gp/1g/4a/5pts,+5, 28 PIM.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:48 PM   #138
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hot take: Kerins is as good a prospect as Coronato.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 06:35 PM   #139
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Hot take: Kerins is as good a prospect as Coronato.
An argument could be made in favour of Kerins. I've posted these points before:

-In his draft year, he led the Soo with 30 goals. 26 of those goals were even strength.

-Earlier this season, I compared Kerins D+2 season to that of "future superstar" Peyton Krebs. Their numbers were almost exact, except that Krebs had 1 more point. Besides that, they are both C's, both are 5'11", and both play a good 200-ft game. Krebs is a better skater, but Kerins is not bad in that area-and he's got a better shot than Krebs.

-Tkachukwagon posted a comparison of NHLe between Kerins and Rob Thomas that looked quite similar.

Last edited by Sandman; 01-24-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #140
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
-Tkachukwagon posted a comparison of NHLe between Kerins and Rob Thomas that looked quite similar.
I don't care for Matchbox 20
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post: