Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default The Athletic: Best puck moving defensemen

https://theathletic.com/1892364/2020...0the%20numbers

Apologies if this has already been posted but I thought this would make for a good discussion.

Some of us probably already knew this but Rasmus Andersson is among the 10 best D men in the league at moving the puck ie: zone exits and entries.

The article sifted through four different stats and took only the guys who fell in the top whatever % of each of them and Rasmus made the cut. Other names include Josi, McAvoy, Slavin, Karlsson, and Girard.

Another interesting note is the rest of the Flames top 4 all made the "barely missed the cut" list in the order of Hanifin, Giordano and Brodie. So pretty cool that although the points aren't exactly there right now, our young guys have some elite qualities to their games.

I hope we see Hanifin and Andersson remain together and given more important assignments next season. I think the sky is the limit for that pair and we should see what they can do
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah, someone posted this in another discussion, but I think it's worth its own thread because it's pretty interesting. Pretty cool to see Rasmus in with that group, and that he is consistently top ten in all the measures they were considering. I 100% agree that he and Hanifin should be the consistent #2 pair from now on.
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One aside comment—I love The Athletic, but when they do these metrics articles, they really need to change the structure. Stop spending the first six paragraphs explaining the methodology—not a lot of people are going to be interested in that. Move it to the bottom so those that do can get to it later, but otherwise, just get to the actual story that the data is telling!
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rogermexico For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
Yeah, someone posted this in another discussion, but I think it's worth its own thread because it's pretty interesting. Pretty cool to see Rasmus in with that group, and that he is consistently top ten in all the measures they were considering. I 100% agree that he and Hanifin should be the consistent #2 pair from now on.
I'm of the belief that Hanifin - Andersson should be used as like a 1a. We need to start putting in our young guys in a position to take steps forward. Bringing guys along slowly is all well and good but there comes a time where we have to see what they can do. Same thing goes for Dube and to a lesser extent Bennett (should have been doing this 2-3 years ago with him).

Plus I don't think it would be a bad thing to start giving Gio some easier minutes to maybe extend his shelf life a little longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
One aside comment—I love The Athletic, but when they do these metrics articles, they really need to change the structure. Stop spending the first six paragraphs explaining the methodology—not a lot of people are going to be interested in that. Move it to the bottom so those that do can get to it later, but otherwise, just get to the actual story that the data is telling!
Ya totally agree, I read a couple, got the gist of it, then scrolled down to the lists. All I care about is what the specific stats are telling me then after that I just want to see who is on the list.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny I didn't see future Olympic defenseman Darnell Nurse anywhere in that article. Damn shame that Fox didn't want to play for the Flames but Anderson was a fantastic pick as well.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Funny I didn't see future Olympic defenseman Darnell Nurse anywhere in that article. Damn shame that Fox didn't want to play for the Flames but Anderson was a fantastic pick himself.
Fox, that one is going to burn for a long time.

Just a couple years ago:

Hamilton
Hamonic
Stone
Andersson
Fox

That was the Flames RHD depth in the organization.

Then Hamonic and Stone fell off a cliff, and Hamilton and Fox got dealt in the same trade which brought back a LHD as one of the return pieces.

Crazy how it works sometimes. We sit and look at the depth chart and we know we need a good young RHD to slot in behind Andersson now. Fox would have been perfect, the little prick.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw this and quite frankly was surprised but pleased to see Rasmus amongst the top in so many of the statistical categories.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seemed all along that Fox only wanted to play for one team. I might be misremembering but I think at the WJC the year after we drafted him there was a feature about him growing up a rangers fan and wanting to play in MSG.

We got good value out of him at least, but it does suck that he wouldnt give calgary a shot.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
It seemed all along that Fox only wanted to play for one team. I might be misremembering but I think at the WJC the year after we drafted him there was a feature about him growing up a rangers fan and wanting to play in MSG.

We got good value out of him at least, but it does suck that he wouldnt give calgary a shot.
The loss of Fox is really unfortunate, but the silver lining is in how the scouting staff has plucked emerging star defensemen from deep in the draft with a fair amount of consistency. It makes me feel better about their chances to find another Fox in the second or third round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The loss of Fox is really unfortunate, but the silver lining is in how the scouting staff has plucked emerging star defensemen from deep in the draft with a fair amount of consistency. It makes me feel better about their chances to find another Fox in the second or third round.
This is also why I don't entirely understand people who want to acquire young defencemen in trades (for Gaudreau, namely). We have a pretty impressive group now and I have a lot of confidence that pipeline will continue to fill. That's one area where the scouting staff have done really well to the point I'm not sure we need to spend assets to supplement it any time soon, and any needed additions can be done through free agency.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #11
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rasmus May be our best d man soon. All I can say is thanks sven baerschi!
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is also why I don't entirely understand people who want to acquire young defencemen in trades (for Gaudreau, namely). We have a pretty impressive group now and I have a lot of confidence that pipeline will continue to fill. That's one area where the scouting staff have done really well to the point I'm not sure we need to spend assets to supplement it any time soon, and any needed additions can be done through free agency.
Perhaps, but the downside of the Flames's recent drafting is that they have picked only one defensemen with their last fifteen picks. There does appear to be a bit of a hole there now with the graduations of Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, and the loss of Fox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

^ Yeah, Mackey and Poolman are key signings as a result.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #14
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

and Kinnvall and Lerby ^^^

I don't think we have any gaps on D- unless you're deadset on defensive handedness.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #15
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea, while the Flames haven't drafted a defenseman in a millennium, they have signed some exciting prospects that have decent hype.

Andersson has been one of the best defenseman by a lot of metrics since he entered the NHL. His defensive play is incredible and his puck-moving, as you see, is phenomenal.

Absolute steal of a contract
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #16
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The other silver lining is that they were able to get good value in Fox via the trade route.

The Canes weren't giving up two young emerging stars without getting back a lottery pick player in the return.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #17
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
https://theathletic.com/1892364/2020...0the%20numbers

Apologies if this has already been posted but I thought this would make for a good discussion.

Some of us probably already knew this but Rasmus Andersson is among the 10 best D men in the league at moving the puck ie: zone exits and entries.

The article sifted through four different stats and took only the guys who fell in the top whatever % of each of them and Rasmus made the cut. Other names include Josi, McAvoy, Slavin, Karlsson, and Girard.

Another interesting note is the rest of the Flames top 4 all made the "barely missed the cut" list in the order of Hanifin, Giordano and Brodie. So pretty cool that although the points aren't exactly there right now, our young guys have some elite qualities to their games.

I hope we see Hanifin and Andersson remain together and given more important assignments next season. I think the sky is the limit for that pair and we should see what they can do

And yet Andersson is the most protected "regular" d-man on the Flames outside of Kylington.

You would think that an elite puck moving D-man would get more D-Zone faceoffs.

He also is also the #5 D-man called on to kill penalties.

Brodie and Hamonic are #3 and #1 in defensive zone faceoffs. They both have a significant more time on the PK.

If they are both gone a lot more will be asked of Andersson than has been done to date.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #18
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
And yet Andersson is the most protected "regular" d-man on the Flames outside of Kylington.

Brodie and Hamonic are #3 and #1 in defensive zone faceoffs. They both have a significant more time on the PK.

If they are both gone a lot more will be asked of Andersson than has been done to date.
This was his 2nd season, no need to force him into all the defensive zone starts right off the bat.

Maybe you have numbers to support that but just going off what I saw I wouldn't say he was the most sheltered as he was the first person moved up to play with Giordano when Brodie was not there. They obviously trust him to play in the defensive end.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #19
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

C'mon man, give at least a little win.
At least for a day.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #20
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

ricardodw: those are questions for the coach, Andersson shouldn't be criticized for them
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: