Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #81
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Everyone has the iPhone now. Telus, Bell and Rogers (Fido is Rogers).
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #82
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Its awesome having high speed data basically anywhere in Alberta.

Especially in rural Alberta.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #83
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Everyone has the iPhone now. Telus, Bell and Rogers (Fido is Rogers).
Ah well there ya go. Learn something new every day. Maybe I will have to look into an iPhone when I'm done getting raped on this contract.

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #84
narbeZ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When I said "Works better as a Phone" I should have clarified that I get numerous dropped calls on my iPhone, as well as garbled voice etc. On the Blackberry I never had these problems and maybe dropped 2 calls in a year.

Then again the iPhone I use is on Bellus new network(there could lie the problem), but I have dropped calls within the city limits(where there is supposed to be coverage) as well. Something that never happened on my Blackberry.

I know that if I was going out of the province of ALBERTA the iPhone would stay home because it just wouldnt be reliable, at least on the Telus network.
narbeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #85
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 202 203 208 216 217 219 221 222 225 313 317 Heritage Classic G
Exp:

I don't think I'll ever be an iphone user. I don't need my phone to be as simple to use as possible. What I do need is to choose what I put on my phone and not have the distribution system decide what is acceptable for me. Everything I want a phone to do can be on few different handsets.

That being said, it sucks it's so popular. There's plenty of programs that get an iphone version before others (if at all) like Own This World for an example

Plus I don't want to be like everyone else when it comes an cell phones. Your choice of phone (and what you attach to it) shows a bit of your personality.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #86
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by narbeZ View Post
When I said "Works better as a Phone" I should have clarified that I get numerous dropped calls on my iPhone, as well as garbled voice etc. On the Blackberry I never had these problems and maybe dropped 2 calls in a year.

Then again the iPhone I use is on Bellus new network(there could lie the problem), but I have dropped calls within the city limits(where there is supposed to be coverage) as well. Something that never happened on my Blackberry.

I know that if I was going out of the province of ALBERTA the iPhone would stay home because it just wouldnt be reliable, at least on the Telus network.
Dropped calls have more to do with the network than the phone, which is why "fewest dropped calls" is a selling feature of a certain mobile service provider.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #87
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Or there is something actually WRONG with the phone.

But usually its the network.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #88
Russic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
)

Plus I don't want to be like everyone else when it comes an cell phones. Your choice of phone (and what you attach to it) shows a bit of your personality.
You care about what people think of you to the point it would impact your selection of a cell phone? I'm not arguing your other claims (which I find to be very valid), that last one just struck me as odd. If android overtakes the iPhone as the most popular OS will you buy an iPhone to set yourself apart from the herd?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #89
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
You care about what people think of you to the point it would impact your selection of a cell phone? I'm not arguing your other claims (which I find to be very valid), that last one just struck me as odd. If android overtakes the iPhone as the most popular OS will you buy an iPhone to set yourself apart from the herd?
Err...RIM is currently number 1, then the iPhone.

Well...technically Symbian is number 1, followed by RIM...but that's worldwide not North America.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #90
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 202 203 208 216 217 219 221 222 225 313 317 Heritage Classic G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I change my phone fairly often, so I'm not worried about having to change it on purpose. I enjoy technology and keep up with the new phones when possible.

It's not that I care what people think of me. It's how I express myself. Like clothing, I could go goth or wear a suit. A more extreme example, but I do think cell phones are more of a personal choice now more than ever. But yeah, sometimes I do like to seperate myself from the herd. Quite often when I pull out my phone (Nokia N95 8gb), people ask me about it. It looks different and has a huge camera on the back. It's a 'conversation starter' at times.

But you make it sound like I would go out of my way as it would impact me and I would have to change if something else got popular. As there are plenty of choices out there, I don't really think there's an impact at all. Plus as I mentioned in the first part, I do have issues with a company that controls what I do with my phone and decides what applications are not objectionable to me. More open platforms are appealing to me.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #91
Russic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Err...RIM is currently number 1, then the iPhone.

Well...technically Symbian is number 1, followed by RIM...but that's worldwide not North America.
You are correct, I worded that poorly. I merely meant if the android overtakes the iphone in popularity.

As for RW99, that makes sense. I wasn't really ripping on your opinion as much as I was trying to understand it. I absolutely get why you don't like the way apple deals with what it does and does not allow on the phone.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #92
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Holy crap.

Telus better get this phone.
Quote:
Virtually all questions about the HTC Incredible have been answered today as a Verizon equipment guide sheet has surfaced today. The phone as expected will be Verizon's most advanced Android phone with a 3.7-inch OLED display, a 1GHz Snapdragon processor and an eight-megapixel camera with flash. A pair of surprises are in store, though, as it will have 802.11n Wi-Fi and 8GB of storage built-in alongside the microSDHC slot.

The complete specs obtained by BGR don't provide many added clues about the software, as it's already known the Incredible will use Android 2.1 with the latest version of HTC's Sense UI. Its web browser will support Flash Lite 4 at first and is still waiting on Adobe's official Flash 10.1 for full support.
http://www.electronista.com/articles...ets.11n.wi.fi/

Blows even the Nexus One away.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #93
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

8GB of internal memory is nuts!

However, I just got my Milestone and I'm already loving it. No regrets!
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #94
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I opted for the Blackberry Storm 2. Just got it at lunch and so far it seems great.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #95
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am waiting till this comes to Canada, then it will either be this or the iphone. Its either the kin2 or the iphone for me. kin1 seems more up my younger sisters ally.

http://www.kin.com/

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Laura...de-named-Pink/

mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #96
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This is a great thread, lots of info. I am also on the fence, my plan was up this time last year so I have just been month to month since with my old phone.

I am stuck between a Blackberry and an iPhone. The best part about a Blackberry is I get to stick with Sasktel and have the best coverage all across the province. Out in the middle of the lake my phone still works, which is perfect for when buddies show up and we need to come in and get them etc.. my buddies iPhone (Rogers) doesn't work in that situation.

That shouldn't be the deal breaker, but I like the coverage.

Basically for me it is more a choice between Rogers and Sasktel then the actual phone..

One question though, on average how much music can your iPhone hold? It just plugs in like a regular ipod? That is definitely an advantage over the black berry.. especially if it can hold a significant amount of songs.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #97
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dream phone...
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #98
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
8GB of internal memory is nuts!

However, I just got my Milestone and I'm already loving it. No regrets!
Yep, I love mine too.

Once the 2.1 update comes out it'll be even better.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #99
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
This is a great thread, lots of info. I am also on the fence, my plan was up this time last year so I have just been month to month since with my old phone.

I am stuck between a Blackberry and an iPhone. The best part about a Blackberry is I get to stick with Sasktel and have the best coverage all across the province. Out in the middle of the lake my phone still works, which is perfect for when buddies show up and we need to come in and get them etc.. my buddies iPhone (Rogers) doesn't work in that situation.

That shouldn't be the deal breaker, but I like the coverage.

Basically for me it is more a choice between Rogers and Sasktel then the actual phone..

One question though, on average how much music can your iPhone hold? It just plugs in like a regular ipod? That is definitely an advantage over the black berry.. especially if it can hold a significant amount of songs.
I have the 16GB iPhone. I have 72 full albums, ripped at the highest quality setting (320kbps), plus six full pages of apps and one full page of games. I have just under 1GB of free space left.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #100
Chingas
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just want to put a warning out to anyone considering buying a Storm2, catch your sac in your zipper six times a day for a week, and if at the end of the week you feel like doing it for another then maybe you are prepared for the storm2.

My Storm2 has got to be the absolute worst pos I have ever owned, right out of the box the darn thing would make a phone call that would last longer than 16 seconds. I then upgraded the OS to a leaked version and it helped slightly, for about 2 days. After that I have had to do a battery pull at least 5 times a day just to function and make recieve calls. My advice stay away, far away.

My second piece of advice is stay away from the Nokia N97. I thought that it would be great too judging by all of its specs 32gb, fm transmitter etc, but it also choice to freeze up, ring uncontrollably, get a mind of its own at least once a day. I thought it was the worst pos I ever owned until I got the Storm2. In addition about 4 of my friends also bought the N97 and have recently moved on.

So for now I am using my old 2G Iphone that I had previous to these two lemons and love every minute. My next purchase will be a 3GS and will not be straying from the iphone when it comes to touch screens any time soon.

On a side note Storm2 and N97 for sale cheap.....