Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #1161
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Harmony is by far my favorite, can't imagine a better solution than that.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #1162
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
I was torn between the two, it came down to the fact that I wanted physical number buttons. How do you like the touchsceen? I've heard mixed reviews.
For number buttons it isn't great. I think I've used the number "screen" once in 4 or 5 months of ownership. I set up my favorite channels and just tap the channel icon on the screen instead of typing in the number.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #1163
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
As for a remote, we got a Harmony 650 a couple months back on sale for a really good price. The Harmony with the RF hub seems like a pretty good solution too, though. I'll have to think about that one.

I'm personally reluctant to go with a touch screen remote or something that encourages using a tablet or phone for a remote. I just really prefer the tactile feedback of buttons. Does the Harmony app work well?
I basically use the harmony app only for setting up the devices/activities/custom button. That alone is worth the price of entry - not having to connect via USB to tinker with remote settings. I use the widget to power down the home theater if I'm not in the living room.

Just to clarify, going "RF" with Harmony doesn't mean you can't use a remote with tactile buttons. Logitech has a few physical remotes that work with the hub.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #1164
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...38#post5630038

HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #1165
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Mick, there are no right or wrong answers. Ultimately, only you can decide what is best for you based on what you want out of your system.

But, I would find a used AVR that satisfied my features requirements, has the pre-outs to support external amplification, and – most importantly – works with the speakers I already have. If your intent is to use external amps, then it really doesn’t matter what the AVR does power-wise.
Thanks again Baron!

Ended up finding a used Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 AVR ($300) for my home theatre purposes, including 7.2 preouts. Just added a mint condition vintage 1982 Pioneer A-70 integrated stereo amp ($130) to power the RTi10s.

This is a great setup for me, because my turntable connects directly to the A-70 without going through the AVR at all, so there's a nice, simple, all-analog chain. Then, my front preouts from the AVR go into another input on the A-70 where it basically behaves as a power amp for digital sources.

Both scenarios sound great. The A-70 is a powerhouse - the low end just sounds so much cleaner and tighter.

Only caveat to using an integrated amp this way is the volume on the A-70 has to be set to a specific position when using the AVR (then the AVR is used to control volume for anything that goes through it). It's a non-issue for me because I touch the A-70 volume only when starting or ending a record, when I'm up at the equipment anyway. Could be an issue for some though.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #1166
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Thanks again Baron!

The A-70 is a powerhouse - the low end just sounds so much cleaner and tighter.
Mick, I think you found a very nice amp, especially at that price. Where did you buy it?
Old 02-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #1167
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Mick, I think you found a very nice amp, especially at that price. Where did you buy it?
Everything in my system is from kijiji now. It can be a goldmine if you're diligent (and careful).

Old 02-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #1168
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Everything in my system is from kijiji now. It can be a goldmine if you're diligent (and careful).
For sure. I thought I paid close attention to Kijiji but I missed that amp.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #1169
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I seem to have blown something in my front left tower speaker. It sounds perfectly fine the majority of the time, except when there is one specific audio frequency, it crackles. >.<
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #1170
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm looking to get an automatic/intelligent (i.e. no remote or buttons) HDMI switch/hub so I don't have to crawl behind my TV to switch cords.

Pretty much every one on Amazon is a company I haven't heard of, and I don't know about this stuff, so I wonder if anyone has one they're happy with, or can recommend one?

Looking to spend, say, less than $50.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #1171
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I'm looking to get an automatic/intelligent (i.e. no remote or buttons) HDMI switch/hub so I don't have to crawl behind my TV to switch cords.

Pretty much every one on Amazon is a company I haven't heard of, and I don't know about this stuff, so I wonder if anyone has one they're happy with, or can recommend one?

My first choice for audio and video cables and switches is Monoprice. It's in US dollars and check the shipping charges. Here's one that may suit you. Make sure you are looking for a switch and not a splitter and it has mixed reviews.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6259

Last edited by Vulcan; 10-02-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #1172
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Consider what equipment you have. For example, on one TV we have a shaw gateway portal and a roku. Neither has a power button and are essentially always on. In those circumstances I have not had luck having an automatic switcher. In the case I described the switch I have (bought online for under 50 bucks) tends to default to the shaw box, we have to hit a button to get to the Roku.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #1173
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'd probably just get an AVR off kijiji myself. They've got the added benefit of support for speakers, so there's that too

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #1174
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the tips, guys. I shuffled some things around so none of my always-on devices went to the switch, so that saved a lot of grief: good tip.

I didn't realize Monoprice made things, I just thought they, well, just sold things. I ordered this Monoprice one from Amazon, I figured the two-day shipping time was just easier, and it works right great.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #1175
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

So, I'm doing a bit of a bathroom redo in our 4 level split. The drywall will be off on the wall facing the split, so I can access the joists under the living room and above the family room/TV room downstairs. I could fairly easily get some conduits in to go between my component shelves, and the crawl space below the bathroom which then I can easily get to the internet router/ computer area.

My reciever can do 7 channels, so it can do the home theatre downstairs, and the living room upstairs - if I ran speaker wires in a conduit up to the living room. I'd also like to get some access for wall plate speaker connection in the TV room.

Basically, I want to have the potential in the future to run some speaker wires, some network cables, and future proof my needs. How many and what size conduits should I put in?

Also, If I use electrical boxes, do I want to use plastic ones, or are metal ones fine? Where is a good place to get speaker & networking coverplates?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #1176
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used home vacuum pvc tubes; I can't say that there will be enough space there for everything that might be pulled in the future, but there is enough space for my needs, for now. The other advantage is that there are a number of ends, corners, etc that you can get, and then it is just a matter of cutting the tube to make it fit. It makes it much easier to complete when the tubing is more or less hardware store universally available, particularly odd angles like 33 or 45 degree turns that you might need when you are navigating through subflooring.

One thing that I read on the interwebz, and that I have already used, was a suggestion to run a length of string inside the tubing itself, and then tie it off or tape it to the outside of the tube at both ends. you will be able to use this to pull cabling through in the future, instead of hoping that the cable can be pushed. Should you ever need to use the string to pull cable through, just attach another string to the cable as you pull it through, and tie that off when you are done. A small, small thing, but the difference in stress levels between having that string or not... It gives me great comfort to know that if I have to add a cable, I just tie one end of the string off and add another string, and pull. it takes literally seconds compared to hours potentially of struggling to push cables through and wondering what the heck is blocking your cable from moving.

I used Amazon for my end parts, and Monoprice to price check. I used plastic for my wall switch outlets, and standard metal boxes beside my speakers. I should add that I run my speaker cable directly to my speakers from the receiver; I don't terminate them at the wall. I used plastic covers with an opening to complete the wall to make it look clean.

good luck!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.

Last edited by McG; 10-24-2016 at 12:45 PM.
McG is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #1177
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hogwash. I love cursing and swearing and getting frustrated as hell fishing cables through walls!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #1178
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, I usually only dabble in and out of this thread but I witnessed something last night worth mentioning.

I've had my current receiver (Yamaha RX-850) for roughly a year, but had never taken the time to read the manual... Turns out I hadn't been decoding the channels properly to take advantage of Atmos surround. Last night I took the time to adjust settings and then found the Dolby Atmos test scene things on VUDU video on PS4. HOLY WOW.the clearly is insane! I had thought it was simply adding the overhead speakers to the mix, but it's much, much more impressive than that. Almost unbelievable clarity and immersive sensation. Truly blown away.

Now I'm looking for the best way to take advantage of Atmos using Plex - The solution seems to be a Nvidia Shield ... Except that they're out of stock everywhere and seemingly are being discontinued. Anyone have a similar piece of hardware to suggest?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #1179
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Friends,
I recently purchased a 70" Samsung 4K TV. It's generally quite excellent, but I've noticed that while watching hockey (or likely anything with a primarily white background), there seems to be what I'll describe as 'cloudy' spots or lines. I noticed it mostly if I'm watching from say, a 45 degree angle. Although I do notice it even when I'm sitting directly in front of it, it's just not as noticeable.

Any idea what's going on here? Easy settings fix?
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #1180
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would take it back, I have no such lines or cloudiness with my 65".
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote