Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
IgiTang
#1 Goaltender
 
IgiTang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Exp:
Default NHL 18 - Released Sept.15, 2017

I know many are feeling like EA is just rehashing an old title and throwing a new name on it and they're right.

That said, Its the best NHL game out there and I will be caving and buying this edition as well.

With that said, are there any XBOne users on CP that are interested in doing a CP Club this year?

Also, im looking forward to playing some versus with this years edition of the Flames roster! That D!!!!

I'm curious to see how the devs out of Vancouver nurf the Flames roster by giving players much worse overall's this year. Especially Hamonic.

Rated 89 overall in 2017 for the NYI. But how are they going to give 4 Dmen on the Flames 89+ Overalls? Im curious to see how theyre rated.

Anyway, hit me up if youre interested in some club action. If not, perhaps I will see you in some versus, public DR, or HUT.

Cheers!
__________________
Kick the tires and light the fires!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default NHL 18 - Released Sept.15, 2017

They've rebuilt the player rating system coming off of last year's game, so players will be rated lower overall league-wide. McDavid and Crosby are the two top rated guys in the game at 93 overall. From listening to their devs talk about, the NHL quality players will be rated between 75 and 93, whereas last year it was really 80-96 I believe.

...all that aside, I'm really excited for this years game (as I am every year). For those who pre-order, the game comes out for early access on September 12th - and for those with EA Access on Xbox One, they get their early access on September the 9th I believe.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
metallicat
Formerly oilers_fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Exp:
Default

Anything new regarding Be A GM mode this year?
__________________
But living an honest life - for that you need the truth. That's the other thing I learned that day, that the truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, leads to liberation and dignity. -Ricky Gervais
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
IgiTang
#1 Goaltender
 
IgiTang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
They've rebuilt the player rating system coming off of last year's game, so players will be rated lower overall league-wide. McDavid and Crosby are the two top rated guys in the game at 93 overall. From listening to their devs talk about, the NHL quality players will be rated between 75 and 93, whereas last year it was really 80-96 I believe.

...all that aside, I'm really excited for this years game (as I am every year). For those who pre-order, the game comes out for early access on September 12th - and for those with EA Access on Xbox One, they get their early access on September the 9th I believe.
Holy Shiz! Really? I'll be honest, I have been out of the loop and havnt really put that much effort in researching the changes. My perspective is from versions past..

But the early release stuff.. Is that only if you pre-order from the xbox store online? I have my pre-order in at EB. Do I still have to wait until Sept.15? As well I have EA Access.
__________________
Kick the tires and light the fires!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
topfiverecords
First Line Centre
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ferlandia
Exp:
Default

I liked the 3 on 3 EASHL that was in the demo.

Not expecting the improvements to the Flames roster to be of any help in online play. Vancouver devs always tilt it.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

My xbox finally gave up the ghost and I debated buying a new video game system and then decided not to, I've lost interest in this franchise and most games.
__________________
Good Night America . . . Wherever you are
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:38 AM   #7
Inferno
Franchise Player
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Pas, MB
Exp:
Default

This is the first NHL game in years that I won't be getting on release. I barely played NHL 17 so it's a waste of money getting it on release. And then there's the McDiver being on the cover factor that sealed it for me. I'll just wait until it's free on EA Access.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #8
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin
 
DownInFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Holy Shiz! Really? I'll be honest, I have been out of the loop and havnt really put that much effort in researching the changes. My perspective is from versions past..

But the early release stuff.. Is that only if you pre-order from the xbox store online? I have my pre-order in at EB. Do I still have to wait until Sept.15? As well I have EA Access.
If you have EA access you can play it early no matter if you pre-ordered or not.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
Since1984
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I know many are feeling like EA is just rehashing an old title and throwing a new name on it and they're right.

That said, Its the ONLY NHL game out there and I will be caving and buying this edition as well.

With that said, are there any XBOne users on CP that are interested in doing a CP Club this year?

Also, im looking forward to playing some versus with this years edition of the Flames roster! That D!!!!

I'm curious to see how the devs out of Vancouver nurf the Flames roster by giving players much worse overall's this year. Especially Hamonic.

Rated 89 overall in 2017 for the NYI. But how are they going to give 4 Dmen on the Flames 89+ Overalls? Im curious to see how theyre rated.

Anyway, hit me up if youre interested in some club action. If not, perhaps I will see you in some versus, public DR, or HUT.

Cheers!
FYP

I will for the second season in a row...pass on the EA NHL franchise. Sadly, they have added nothing to game and $80 for a roster update is laughable.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #10
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I will for the second season in a row...pass on the EA NHL franchise. Sadly, they have added nothing to game and $80 for a roster update is laughable.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
Since1984
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It is, yet I share this opinion with many many people. When you have a monopoly on a market segment you can get away with putting out mediocre products that appease fan boys.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
It is, yet I share this opinion with many many people. When you have a monopoly on a market segment you can get away with putting out mediocre products that appease fan boys.
I believe this to be the vocal minority, seeing as the game consistently gets strong reviews and sells well enough to continue it's existence. On an annual release schedule, the improvements on a year to year basis definitely have to be targeted, so yeah - if you're searching for sweeping changes between any two years, you're going to be disappointed.

I think the series is better than it ever has been, and the year to year changes, iterative as they are, do benefit the overall package.

It's only a monopoly because the financials behind the game make it hard (impossible) to deliver a competing product. Development is expensive, and annual development is iterative by nature.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
ernie
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Exp:
Default

I think very little has to do with it being a monopoly. It's simply not a franchise that sells well enough to garner much more attention than a roster update and a few other tweaks each year. Across both platforms it sold just over 1 million units in the past year. Even if they made major changes it likely wouldn't increase sales even up to 1.5 mil...which is likely a high water mark for the entire series.

When you have Fifa selling 15+ million a year and even lackluster Madden games selling 7+ million units, a hockey game that is likely to sell less than 2 million units no matter how good it is just isn't going to get any attention. It makes better sense for them to put little effort into the game on a yearly basis and count on the 1 million units that will be sold. Putting the extra money and work into the game likely isn't going to get them the ROI that makes it competitive with other options looking for that investment money.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I'm curious to see how the devs out of Vancouver nurf the Flames roster by giving players much worse overall's this year. Especially Hamonic.
Only one Flame is in the top 50 rated players: Gaudreau at 87 overall. None of the Flames D are there. For reference, here are some other players in the top 50 that you might think, say, Giordano or Hamilton would be ahead of.

David Pastrnak - 87 OVR
Leon Draisaitl - 87 OVR
Taylor Hall - 87 OVR
Blake Wheeler - 87 OVR
Dustin Byfuglien - 87 OVR
Alex Pietrangelo - 88 OVR
Roman Josi - 88 OVR (Subban's only at 87!)
Mark Scheifele - 88 OVR
Shea Weber - 89 OVR
Ryan Suter - 89 OVR

Apparently, the Jets got some love. Also the lightning, who have 3 guys in the top 20 (Kucherov 89, Hedman 90 and Stamkos 91) though I can't really argue there.
__________________
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #15
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender
 
northcrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Only one Flame is in the top 50 rated players: Gaudreau at 87 overall. None of the Flames D are there. For reference, here are some other players in the top 50 that you might think, say, Giordano or Hamilton would be ahead of.

David Pastrnak - 87 OVR
Leon Draisaitl - 87 OVR
Taylor Hall - 87 OVR
Blake Wheeler - 87 OVR
Dustin Byfuglien - 87 OVR
Alex Pietrangelo - 88 OVR
Roman Josi - 88 OVR (Subban's only at 87!)
Mark Scheifele - 88 OVR
Shea Weber - 89 OVR
Ryan Suter - 89 OVR

Apparently, the Jets got some love. Also the lightning, who have 3 guys in the top 20 (Kucherov 89, Hedman 90 and Stamkos 91) though I can't really argue there.
This is what happens when you develop an NHL game in a non-hockey market like Vancouver
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #16
Ashasx
Franchise Player
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

lol what else does Giordano have to do to be considered a top 50 player
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #17
topfiverecords
First Line Centre
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ferlandia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
lol what else does Giordano have to do to be considered a top 50 player
Play for the Canucks.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #18
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

There are zero Canucks in the top 50 (of course).
__________________
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #19
bubbsy
Franchise Player
 
bubbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

the game delta year after year, has been a real big disappointment, especially when there are some pretty well known issues in the core game play (skating, AI, defensive features, etc).

Instead, the product seems to annually miss the mark and invest energy in non-core areas (how much improvement has been really made in the core game play issues, franchise mode, BAP, etc???).

Still, it being the ONLY gaming option for NHL hockey, i have no option but to buy it and then complain about how disappointing it is again.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #20
Otto-matic
Franchise Player
 
Otto-matic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sector 7-G
Exp:
Default

My biggest issue with the EA Team is them marketing old game modes and features as brand new never seen before features for this generation.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016