Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #101
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
I'm trying to figure out what kind of tone this has.....pretentious, maybe?

Should they stagnate? No, but it might help their position if they took their customers into account when they create their products and services. Right now they are catering to the publishers, smacking us customers in the face.
The tone is "tired of / frustrated with the lame excuses we're hearing". I know, my post is laced with it too.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #102
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Likewise, they seem to be confused by people being up in arms about some games requiring a 1.5 Mbps Internet connection to function in single player. The company line seems to be "We can't imagine that anyone who doesn't have Internet is somehow in the market for an Xbox One." But that's not the point -- the fastest DSL package to my home is 3.0 Mbps, which is more than enough unless someone else in the house is using Netflix, which chokes the connection to near zero. Again, the assumption is that everything in the house is dedicated to gaming, and only gaming.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things...#ixzz2WEnM5IFT
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #103
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 in-store pre-orders at Future are indeed gone since yesterday. I also asked while I was at the Deerfoot location today - apparently "tons" of Xbone pre-orders if you want one. "Day One" Editions are still available everywhere right now.

http://community.futureshop.ca/t5/So...ock/m-p/425817
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #104
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sony probably has less for pre-order than Microsoft. That's how it has been in the past. Then a bunch of those frustrated people with out of stock PS4 will get Xbox One.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #105
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This clearly looks to be their go-forward plan and public image/messaging. Multiple Xbone reps now saying the same thing.

OFFduty asked Microsoft officials if that empathy might translate into practical workarounds for the military.

“I don’t have additional details to share and can’t speculate on workarounds at this time,” wrote Xbox rep Danica Stickel in an emailed response to questions, repeating the suggestion that troops could just use the 360 instead.

Obviously they have to be aware of the impression they are giving the public and consumers. Again, I can only assume it's a calculated business trade off.

“This is shameful, says Joel Hruska, a writer for Extreme Tech website. “Telling troops that you ‘empathize’ with them is both embarrassing and hands Sony perfect ammunition.”

“Do I think Microsoft is going to change?” writes Hruska in a recent post. “Honestly, no. The remarks that’ve come out to date paint a picture of a company that’s so drunk on its own Kool-Aid, they aren’t listening to outside criticism or commentary any longer.”

“Do I think Microsoft is going to change?” writes Hruska in a recent post. “Honestly, no. The remarks that’ve come out to date paint a picture of a company that’s so drunk on its own Kool-Aid, they aren’t listening to outside criticism or commentary any longer.”
Old 06-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #106
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Sony probably has less for pre-order than Microsoft. That's how it has been in the past. Then a bunch of those frustrated people with out of stock PS4 will get Xbox One.
I do not believe that is the case. Impressions seem to suggest least a 2:1 allocation of PS4 to Xbone at most Gamestops/retailers. Lines up with the earlier discussion about the yield problems that Microsoft is having with their APU/Xbone hardware.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #107
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have any sources for this, at all? The internal hardware in both consoles is so similar that if one is going to get hit by a manufacturing delay, both are

http://www.strategicsourceror.com/20...id-delays.html
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #108
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
I'm trying to figure out what kind of tone this has.....pretentious, maybe?

Should they stagnate? No, but it might help their position if they took their customers into account when they create their products and services. Right now they are catering to the publishers, smacking us customers in the face.
Pretentious? Hardly. MS may deserve some criticism but people whining about them not catering to every last person on the globe that can't access any Internet is over the top. There has to be a reasonable expectation that a lot of features on a console in this day and age will rely on online. It's an essential aspect of the technology. Frankly I can't remember the last time I had no access to Internet at all, and that includes travelling. But for most people this box is going to sit at home next to your tv, and will, except in the rarest of circumstances, have an Internet signal. And for those rarest of cases, I'm probably not really too worried that I can't fire up halo for a bit.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #109
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Do you have any sources for this, at all? The internal hardware in both consoles is so similar that if one is going to get hit by a manufacturing delay, both are

http://www.strategicsourceror.com/20...id-delays.html
Is that article correct/current? I thought Xbox was definitely DDR3?

Regardless, this is from the earlier Xbone only thread that I posted. Microsoft appears to be having significant yield issues with the eSRAM that might also end up forcing them to downclock their GPU.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/elo...rumors/101270/

Even chatting with the Gamestop/Futureshop employees in Calgary it is pretty clear that they have/had much more allocation of PS4 versus Xbone. Now, I guess you can say that it's a massive conspiracy of retail chains trying to favor the PS4.

EDIT: Actually on second thought, why would they stop taking pre-orders of it regardless?

Last edited by chemgear; 06-14-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #110
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's funny more people are concerned about people in other countries not being able to use an xbone than the people in those same countries living in grass huts and eating dirt. Who the hell gave a #### about these countries and the people in them prior to MS not adding them on release day?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #111
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I think it's funny more people are concerned about people in other countries not being able to use an xbone than the people in those same countries living in grass huts and eating dirt. Who the hell gave a #### about these countries and the people in them prior to MS not adding them on release day?
Strawman and a false dilemma. Hitting two logical fallacies in one post. Nice work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #112
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Pretentious? Hardly. MS may deserve some criticism but people whining about them not catering to every last person on the globe that can't access any Internet is over the top. There has to be a reasonable expectation that a lot of features on a console in this day and age will rely on online. It's an essential aspect of the technology.
A lot of the features can rely on online connectivity, but when the main feature of a console relies on connectivity almost all the time, you have a problem.

PC games are different because typically a computer is connected to the internet anyways, and frankly are far more costly to begin with.

I really think MS missed the boat this go around and I expect there will be changes at some time.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #113
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The only time I have seen anything that indicates 50% more powerful is in shading performance. The rest is a lot of theoretical stuff based on percieved hardware benefits.
Certainly will be interesting to see how developers take advantage of each and how things will perform in comparison as they get more time with each system.

Additional performance comparisons were drawn by keen eyed E3 goers and reps have also been pointing out that the PS4 demos were on actual PS4 dev kits. Microsoft was using Windows PC's with 700 series GTX cards. Which is extra strange as the Xbone is supposed to use ATI.

PS4 crashing out to system:

And for Xbone:

Last edited by chemgear; 06-14-2013 at 08:03 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #114
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Makes you wonder why anyone would need a console.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #115
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Strawman and a false dilemma. Hitting two logical fallacies in one post. Nice work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'll take "Sanctimonious ######bags" for $600, Alex.
Yawn.....
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #116
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else want to punch someone when they see Xbone as the shorthand for xbox one
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #117
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Anyone else want to punch someone when they see Xbone as the shorthand for xbox one
Fanboy
Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #118
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/06/i-...es-of-nothing/

I began to wonder about what they were running all these demos on, since I didn’t see a single Xbox One. All the wires just led under tables and into cabinets.

So, they were hiding the actual hardware, which I figured was probably some dev Xbox One units or something. And I’m curious. I wondered what these units looked like, so I decided to peek behind one of the cabinets. It was dark, so I took a couple quick photos with my flash so I could see.
What I saw was profoundly underwhelming. Just a laptop and a bunch of wires. I was just about to forget about the pictures entirely and find the guy who walked by with the raw tuna somethings when a massive goon packed into a fancy suit approached me.

“You need to come with me, sir,” he said.

It was weird. They were clearly unhappy and concerned, even though they insisted that laptop was just controlling a looping video. Which it certainly may have been doing, which makes it even weirder that they were so upset at the photos.

Not being able to take their intense stares and restrained desire to yank the camera out of my hands any longer, I just deleted the photos. They then set me free.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #119
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahhh, now we have our answer confirmed - you get suspended/banned/account locked/stolen/hacked, you lose it all. Multiplayer, single player, disk purchases - doesn't matter. Surprising, I thought this is outright illegal in many countries in the EU. But maybe that is why they are avoiding so many countries.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #120
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Yawn.....
Pointing out flawed reasoning is sanctimonious? Okay, chief. If I really wanted to be sanctimonious I could wax on about the $700/year I donate to various charities that contribute to developing nations, which is quite a bit more than my annual gaming budget. Do I have a right to bitch about Xbone not being available to those countries now?

Last edited by rubecube; 06-15-2013 at 10:08 AM.