Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #1201
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I moved I ended up losing the stuff I had on my PVR (Better Call Saul and season 2 of Fargo). Bummer! I forget what happened though, if the installer swapped boxes or if he reset some settings.

I have no idea what doubleK is talking about. It's a hard drive and there's a setting to keep the recording permanently. I guess planet earth won't be permanent either, if that's his argument
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #1202
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Long story but I ended up getting a new telus box. It is about half the size of the old cisco ones. It is still cisco but quite different.

Everything is the same software wise, guide, menus etc except now it does 1080p.

Function though is amazing. It is lightning quick. No lag at all. used to be guide was kinda slow and menus were painful. I even disabled the previous channel last five channel preview function because it would take so long to load. Now all five load the instant I touch the button.

On demand menus are super quick to navigate.

Tech even let me keep my old slimline remote because I don't like the v2 slimline. But he let me keep the v2 too so now I have a spare.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #1203
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Long story but I ended up getting a new telus box. It is about half the size of the old cisco ones. It is still cisco but quite different.

Everything is the same software wise, guide, menus etc except now it does 1080p.

Function though is amazing. It is lightning quick. No lag at all. used to be guide was kinda slow and menus were painful. I even disabled the previous channel last five channel preview function because it would take so long to load. Now all five load the instant I touch the button.

On demand menus are super quick to navigate.

Tech even let me keep my old slimline remote because I don't like the v2 slimline. But he let me keep the v2 too so now I have a spare.
So was it worth it then? Mine is probably 3 years old, and it's getting slow and annoying as F. Thing is, I've got about 10-15 movies on there that my daughter still watches. She needs to watch Little Mermaid like once a month. What will I do without Little Mermaid saved on my pvr?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #1204
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I say the new box is well worth it. Telus gave me Internet 100 and upgraded my pvr. The box is, as Cecil said, much much faster. Like Cecil, we use the expanded previous channel now, and I no longer cringe when I have to do a search. Not only that, but the new box lets us record/watch 5 HD channels instead of just 3 with the old box.

Unfortunately, the Netflix app still has significantly inferior video/sound quality compared to our wifi DVD player.

As for Little Mermaid - you can always buy it on DVD. Where did you record it in the first place - I can't remember the last time I've seen an older Disney princess movie broadcast over a recordable channel.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #1205
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I say the new box is well worth it. Telus gave me Internet 100 and upgraded my pvr. The box is, as Cecil said, much much faster. Like Cecil, we use the expanded previous channel now, and I no longer cringe when I have to do a search. Not only that, but the new box lets us record/watch 5 HD channels instead of just 3 with the old box.

Unfortunately, the Netflix app still has significantly inferior video/sound quality compared to our wifi DVD player.

As for Little Mermaid - you can always buy it on DVD. Where did you record it in the first place - I can't remember the last time I've seen an older Disney princess movie broadcast over a recordable channel.
According to the PVR, I recorded it on saturday, feb 14, 2015, pretty sure on Disney jr. She's probably watched it 25x. Yes, I can buy it on DVD. Probably should. Probably will, if I upgrade the PVR. It just so nice to have available on any TV, anytime. I have the Tinkerbell movies on PVR and on DVD, but the PVR ones are the ones that I use when she wants Tinkerbell. I only use the DVDs for road trips.

Total first world problem. I have bigger first world problems, though. Like how long it takes for the search menu to kick in. I think I'll be calling Telus in the next few days and asking for the upgrade.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #1206
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

can you guys provide the model number of the new box? I need a small one to put behind my TV, the current cisco CIS330 is tooooo big
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #1207
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I'm pretty sure it is a Cisco ipv 6015. And yeah I'd say it was worth it, issues listed below notwithstanding.

Couple small issues. The slimline remote no longer functions with my receiver, box and tv in unison, only slimline 2 works. Relatively minor but I just preferred the old remote layout better so too bad I have to use the new one.

One complaint that seems to be common is the new box isn't compatible with tv/receiver syncing. So while the old slimline remote can no longer turn all three - tv, receiver, cable box - on/off with one push of a button, the new box isn't compatible with hdmi control functions. On my Sony stuff it is called Bravia sync but I've read about other brands like Samsung having similar features disabled due to a software problem with the box. Not a huge issue but an inconvenience nonetheless.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #1208
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone tell me what the smallest telus set top box is ? In terms of model Number. I need to fit it behind a tv and my current cis330 is too large.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #1209
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone looked at the free 4K tv deal?
I finally got my neighbourhood wired for river and they have a deal that gives you a free Toshiba 49" 4K TV on a two year contract.
It looks like a pretty good deal although I usually avaoid a contract and try to negotiate a better price.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #1210
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Has anyone looked at the free 4K tv deal?
I finally got my neighbourhood wired for river and they have a deal that gives you a free Toshiba 49" 4K TV on a two year contract.
It looks like a pretty good deal although I usually avaoid a contract and try to negotiate a better price.
I'm going down to the Telus store to check it out, maybe today. If I do I'll let you know what I find.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #1211
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Telus just added a restart feature on a ton of channels/programs. Pretty friggin sweet.

Can restart a show that's midway through from the beginning. Even seems to be available for some live programs like sports.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 06:20 AM   #1212
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, is that what that symbol is for? I wasn't sure if it was new or I had just somehow not noticed it before.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #1213
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Telus just added a restart feature on a ton of channels/programs. Pretty friggin sweet.

Can restart a show that's midway through from the beginning. Even seems to be available for some live programs like sports.
Seems like a cool idea, but it doesn't seem like you can skip at all...
verda13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #1214
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah once you go to the beginning it seems it won't let you go back to live. At least I haven't figured it out.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #1215
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Yeah once you go to the beginning it seems it won't let you go back to live. At least I haven't figured it out.
Just re-select the channel in Guide and don't choose Restart Show
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #1216
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty nice feature to have.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #1217
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see that Telus has added 2 4K Sportsnet channels.

More 4K content is great, but judging by their hockey broadcasts, their 4K will just finally look like a good HD feed.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #1218
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dang I'm moving to a new place that doesn't support optik. Guess it's shaw for me. Any tips on getting a deal? Lol. Am looking for HBO, sports, and internet mostly
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #1219
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has been a feature in the US for years! Glad to finally see it here.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #1220
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
Seems like a cool idea, but it doesn't seem like you can skip at all...
That is not cool, and you can't start to record from the beginning either. At least I couldn't figure it out. It just displays "Skip disabled by broadcaster" or something along those lines. I thought it would be awesome to start something over and skip all the commercials, but nope.