Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ontario's Patrick Brown Steps Down

Timeline from last night.

Allegations of improper sexual conduct when he was an MP are reported by CTV last night. Complainant is a worker from his constituency office.

Brown calls a press conference and denies allegations.

His top staff resign. Campaign manager, deputy campaign manager, chief of staff, communications director. All resign.

Deputy PC leaders say Brown is entitled to legal process, but he can't lead through the campaign with this distraction. Election is in June.

4 hours later Brown issues a statement resigning. Says that the defeat of the Ont Liberals is more important than any one person. He will stay on as an MPP but not as leader.

Note the PC party had already released their platform, with Brown on the cover. Media had been referring to him as the Premier in waiting. Just last week they were handed the gift of the guilty verdict against a Liberal staffer who wiped computers clean.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'd like to see the process play out and hear all the facts before making any judgment. Unfortunately, I don't think the majority of people think this way, once you're accused of something, it follows you (rightly or wrongly).

Last edited by Simanium; 01-25-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Simanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah it has to play out and he has the right to face his accusers but he's politically done

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So now what, can they do a leadership convention and declare a leader in 4 months.

This probably shifts the election pretty strongly to Horvath and the NDP. I don't think Wynne has a chance to win this election.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBC was speculating on potential replacements:

Lisa Raitt from the Feds
or two moderates that Brown brought to the party who will be running in the election:

former head of the ontario lottery gaming corp and former Post Media chair Rod Phillips https://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...s-in-ajax.html

or a VP of an investment firm Carolyn Mulroney. Apparently her dad did something at some point. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle36224460/
Old 01-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wish that they could convince Rona Ambrose to run.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I wish that they could convince Rona Ambrose to run.
Why? Putting forth a right-wing Albertan with Alliance/Reform roots is a pretty good recipe for the Ontario PCs to get crushed.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Down goes Brown
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't think Wynne has a chance to win this election.
C'mon now. As of right now I probably wouldn't put the odds of another OLP victory at any worse then 3/2 against.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup...Wynne for all her gaffes still has made some good moves as well.
I think this puts her back on top.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This will hurt them for sure. I know people in my circle that lean toward the Liberals but like Brown enough that they were likely going to give the PCs a chance.

I think it is time to switch it up anyway, but who their leader is, is going to decide whether the PCs can maintain their current popularity.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Caroline Mulroney
@C_Mulroney
For the past 24 hours, I’ve been hearing from Party members across the province. There have been many things said, but one clear message: that all 200,000 members of our PC Party have the right to vote for the person who leads them into the next election.
Delightful concern for the grassroots she's showing... or y'know... she's running. Not ideal but she'd be the best choice (So by the laws of the universe the Ont Tories will probably pick Doug Ford of something)
Old 01-25-2018, 10:17 PM   #13
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

From what little I've read so far, looks like the guy got railroaded.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #14
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
You mean pressured to step down? Absolutely he did, resignations like that don't happen that quick if you're not. I mean there was probably six hours or so between his presser and his resignation I figure the timeline basically went like so...

- CTV calls Brown for comment on the story they're about to run
- Brown huddles with advisors, many of whom urge him to step down, crafts a statement
- Brown has his presser
- Advisers who urged him to step down resign en masse
- Brown has conference call with caucus many of them urge him to step down
- Faced with no caucus support, no campaign team support, forthcoming intense media scrutiny, and consequently no chance of becoming premier Brown resigns.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Yup. What a screwed up world we live in. 2 faceless women make accusations to a TV station, the man has no chance to defend himself, his reputation is in taters, he lost his job.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #16
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Yup. What a screwed up world we live in. 2 faceless women make accusations to a TV station, the man has no chance to defend himself, his reputation is in taters, he lost his job.
I have a few questions for you:
- Do you think CTV ran this without doing some due diligence?
- Do you think the women were thinking this was a gravy train and would suffer no personal consequences for telling their story?
- Do you think that this was the only instance of him doing something that should have been reported on?

Personally, I don't think these things happen in a vacuum. It's very likely that there was a lot of dirt on him and this was the tipping point. I wouldn't call it railroading, in that case.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #17
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
- Do you think the women were thinking this was a gravy train and would suffer no personal consequences for telling their story?
- Do you think that this was the only instance of him doing something that should have been reported on?

Personally, I don't think these things happen in a vacuum. It's very likely that there was a lot of dirt on him and this was the tipping point. I wouldn't call it railroading, in that case.
There was a discussion about it on CBC radio this morning. They said that his behavior was an "open secret" with the media. Will post the episode when it gets added to the CBC website. They also talked to three women who were routinely harassed around Parliament. It could be the details that reach us are just the tip of the iceberg.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #18
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post

I have some questions for you:
What if a woman just didn't like a guy for whatever reason and accused him of sexual misconduct. What would happen to that man? His employer would fire him and his reputation would be destroyed?

What defines sexual misconduct? In Brown's case one woman accepted his overture, and in the second case he was kissing her, she asked him to stop , and he drove her home. Where is the crime?
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #19
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What if a woman just didn't like a guy for whatever reason and accused him of sexual misconduct. What would happen to that man? His employer would fire him and his reputation would be destroyed?

What defines sexual misconduct? In Brown's case one woman accepted his overture, and in the second case he was kissing her, she asked him to stop , and he drove her home. Where is the crime?
His employer should conduct an HR investigation into him and proceed based on their findings and company policy.

Also these aren't the only incidents. If you look at Hehr and Brown it appears that this activity is an open secret. So this isn't one allegation. It's one allegation where a person is going on the record with many others on background.

He got his employee Drunk while remaining sober took her home and tried to #### her. In what workplace is that acceptable. Then he continued to make comments about her the following year she worked for him.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #20
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:

Why don't you answer my questions instead of posing new ones?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote