Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #1421
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, since a 2070S is only about 5% slower than a 2080, this kind of holds true (in synthetics) that a 3080 is nearly 2x as fast as a 2080.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #1422
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Man it's still super difficult to get some stuff, even certain cases. I want to put my kid's computer in a quieter case but it's difficult to find even just that. Lian Li Lancool II Mesh or be quiet! 500DX is kinda what I'd like. Canada Computers has the 500DX but they don't ship it!
Old 09-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #1423
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe consider Fractal Design Meshify C case from ME? Not sure how it stacks up against the cases you're looking at, but it's another mesh front case with tempered glass sides and lots of stock in Calgary locations.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #1424
photon

Exp:

Yeah that one would be ok I guess, not a huge fan of it and it's an older design, but it'd do the job I'm sure. We'll see how patient I can be lol.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #1425
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I put together a really nice build with an AMD 3900xt and I splurged on a Kraken z63 cooler. I put everything together and the cooler won’t run. Oh joy.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #1426
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

From what I've read the Kraken's have a high rate of pump failures, not sure if they fixed that in the Z63. Having said that you sure the motherboard is commanding the pump to run? Do you see the pump as a device/fan in the BIOS?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #1427
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah the BIOS would be the first place I would look (after triple checking all the connections are correct). There could be a setting for it that may be disabled for some reason.

Side note: How do you have the radiator mounted? I just recently learned there are wrong ways to mount the radiators for AIO's. Not that this would cause it to be faulty out of the box.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #1428
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
From what I've read the Kraken's have a high rate of pump failures, not sure if they fixed that in the Z63. Having said that you sure the motherboard is commanding the pump to run? Do you see the pump as a device/fan in the BIOS?
I don’t know where the issue lies. It doesn’t show up in BIOS but the motherboard is new too so maybe it’s the issue. The temperature rises very quickly so I didn’t spend much time checking the BIOS settings. The fans won’t run when plugged into the breakout cable, only attached to the motherboard. I left it to Memory Express to sort it out and replace whatever is at fault under warranty.

I had the radiator on the top of the case. There’s no room anywhere else. I’m going to get a new case soon.

I saw the Gamers Nexus video about mounting radiators. It makes sense.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #1429
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I decided to put my current build on PCPartPicker and just wanted some advice if there's anything I should look at upgrading or even if I should consider a new build. It was built in 2015 and I use it for gaming and 3D modeling.

The monitor I just got in June and the video card I got in February but as I mentioned before with the 3000 series getting announced and not getting the framerates I figured I would I have buyers remorse now and I'm considering trying to sell it or maybe just wait until next year when the 4000s come out.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bqM2gJ
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #1430
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would wait until Ryzen 3 is out, wait until Nvidia and AMD field their new GPUs. Your system is not that bad, although a 16 core Ryzen would rip through your software much faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #1431
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
So I decided to put my current build on PCPartPicker and just wanted some advice if there's anything I should look at upgrading or even if I should consider a new build. It was built in 2015 and I use it for gaming and 3D modeling.

The monitor I just got in June and the video card I got in February but as I mentioned before with the 3000 series getting announced and not getting the framerates I figured I would I have buyers remorse now and I'm considering trying to sell it or maybe just wait until next year when the 4000s come out.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bqM2gJ
What are you storing in those big spin drives? Photos? Games?

Also, why is PCpartpicker, citing that monitor at $1800, when Newegg.ca has it for $1260 & $1425?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #1432
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
What are you storing in those big spin drives? Photos? Games?

Also, why is PCpartpicker, citing that monitor at $1800, when Newegg.ca has it for $1260 & $1425?
The 250 GB SSD is my main drive, the 1TB SSD drive is pretty much a game drive, the 4 TB HD is my backup drive, and the 500 GB HD is just a drive I got free with Windows from ME and use it as a scratch disk drive.

For the monitor maybe it's using the Amazon price because of stock? I paid $1150 before tax for it.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 10:55 PM   #1433
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think the prices are the point, that's just a convenient way to post a hardware list.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:24 AM   #1434
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Man it's still super difficult to get some stuff, even certain cases. I want to put my kid's computer in a quieter case but it's difficult to find even just that. Lian Li Lancool II Mesh or be quiet! 500DX is kinda what I'd like. Canada Computers has the 500DX but they don't ship it!
I am also on the look out for the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh case - can't find any where in Canada. booo!!!
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:17 AM   #1435
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The 250 GB SSD is my main drive, the 1TB SSD drive is pretty much a game drive, the 4 TB HD is my backup drive, and the 500 GB HD is just a drive I got free with Windows from ME and use it as a scratch disk drive.

For the monitor maybe it's using the Amazon price because of stock? I paid $1150 before tax for it.
Gotcha.

Should've been more clear on the PCparts price check. I'm surprised that it doesn't scrape and find the better price on Newegg. Bit concerning, as I use them too.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #1436
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I am also on the look out for the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh case - can't find any where in Canada. booo!!!
You pay a premium but here ya go.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/383705183533
Old 09-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #1437
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
You pay a premium but here ya go.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/383705183533
thanks zamler. wow, that is a premium. I'll wait haha that is nuts
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #1438
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
This store has one, though it's the same as the one I want, they don't have them available to ship, only to pick up from in-store.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/prod...item_id=175082

I asked at Memory Express when I was there for something else and they said they may be able to special order the Lancool II Mesh, but not the be quiet! one.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #1439
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
This store has one, though it's the same as the one I want, they don't have them available to ship, only to pick up from in-store.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/prod...item_id=175082
They ship cases they sell on Amazon. I don’t know why they can’t do it directly.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #1440
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
They ship cases they sell on Amazon. I don’t know why they can’t do it directly.
I called one of the stores and they say it has to do with where the stock is. He said if you click the link to "Check other stores" it'll come up with a list, and at the top is "Online Store", which must be a warehouse somewhere where the stores each have their own stock. And they don't ship from stores, only "Online Store"

So he said either wait until the online store gets restocked or if I know someone near a store to have someone come pick it up for me and ship it to me.