Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #581
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Asking this question out of curiosity because while growing up in Calgary I've never paid taxes there myself. What would be the tax impact on a single family household in an area like Citadel under the proposed deal?

I get the reluctance of common citizens to line the pockets of billionaires, but I also know there is community value to having the Flames in Calgary, we can argue about the quantitative data behind that value until we're blue in the face, but just the fact that this is a talking point on a Flames fan forum screams that the community value of the team exists. The point at which the cost exceeds the value is going to be different for everyone.
Super quick not accurate math, there are ~ 500 000 houses in Calgary, so the average house would add $1000 in taxes to cover it. I'm sure not willing to pay that for an arena.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 01:08 PM   #582
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mayor will be speaking live about the CSEC statement soon.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #583
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
They'd sell the team, someone else would relocate it. I assume the relocation fee would be signifcantly less than the expansion fees.
And they’d be required to try to sell to local buyers who want to keep the team in Calgary. So again, relocation falls down the list of possible outcomes.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #584
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffeyb View Post
CSEC didn’t make any threats of moving. Their statement says they will continue to play out if the Dome. They know better than to play that card. Just us folks speculating. That being said, if they do comment on relocating, I’d be worried.
I didn't imply there was a threat of moving other than the previous ones they've made coded or otherwise. This was a response to the bolded statement in the post I was replying to.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #585
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
And they’d be required to try to sell to local buyers who want to keep the team in Calgary. So again, relocation falls down the list of possible outcomes.
Finding a local buyer that will buy the team and fund the new arena seems unlikely. That's a lot of money to find locally.

That's why Houston is always brought up, they have an arena already. Money's not an issue. They just need to pay the relocation fee which would probably lower the teams price proportionately.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #586
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Calgary is a great city, but don't discount others. Houston (#4 for population). Portland (#25). San Diego (#8). Salt Lake City. Oklahoma City (#22). San Antonio (#7). Jacksonville (#12). Charlotte (#16). ​Indianapolis (#15). Kansas City (#36). Cleveland (#54). Austin (#11). Still some interesting markets out there from the league's perspective.
Great population samples, but I believe it falls apart when you apply the context of interest in hockey.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #587
taffeyb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
How much would the team increase in value if moved to a market with a newer building w/ suites, etc?
Edmonton Oilers was just recently valued north of $1B
taffeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taffeyb For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #588
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mayor was supposed to speak at 1pm. Looks like the Flames decided to go for 1pm also.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1473747910554578945

https://twitter.com/user/status/1473749624624087040

Last edited by Nsd1; 12-22-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #589
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
^^ I think the flawed roof design and its impact on concerts is a factor. But for the team, the additional suites was a huge part.
The new building is supposed to have fewer suites than the Saddledome. It will have more other "premium" options, like "theatre boxes" and more club spaces, but it only has 48 suites, including the Owner's Suite and 2 double-sized suites in the corners which will likely be rented as party suites.

The Saddledome currently has 41 lower suites, 31 upper suites, and 6 party suites.

As designed, the suite level in the new building will be about 12 rows higher than the lower suites in the Saddledome.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #590
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffeyb View Post
Edmonton Oilers was just recently valued north of $1B
So with team values moving up in markets where they have the resources to continue improving, a payout to move the team would be recouped with the value of the team rising year over year.

Moving is absolutely an option.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #591
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Super quick not accurate math, there are ~ 500 000 houses in Calgary, so the average house would add $1000 in taxes to cover it. I'm sure not willing to pay that for an arena.
This whole discussion about where tax dollars go to reminds about the debate of the peace bridge when people bitched about it's price (and look how much it's appreciated now) and the costs of interchanges/freeways in the city. Even though one technically may never use it in their lifetime, they still pay for it through taxes.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #592
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #593
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Meh. They'll figure it out. The Calgary Stampede has a big stake in this thing - no doubt they're throwing their hats into this discussion behind the scenes.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #594
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I love the Flames... Fleury, Vernon, Iginla, Kiprusoff, Johnny, Tkachuk... but if ownership is unhappy with the contribution of the city (which I believe is already fair) then it might be time to move on.

I guess I'll cheer for the Kraken?
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #595
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
Meh. They'll figure it out. The Calgary Stampede has a big stake in this thing - no doubt they're throwing their hats into this discussion behind the scenes.
For sure. As said before, there's way too much to be gained from all parties for an agreement to come to fruition. It just sucks if this pushes back the timeline by a year or more once again. This venue should've been built yesterday.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #596
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did it! I read the whole thread all the way to the end!
not worth it

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #597
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read these statements and I ask. Why weren't these climate costs baked into the original and even the tweaked agreement?

Just doesn't make sense that after everything had gone through all the red tape that the new council would just all of a sudden mandate these costs be covered by CSEC.

I dont know, seems like the ever evolving costs were expected but forced incurred costs were not. Which seems like the city did wrong on that part.

End of the day, whatever. Flames will play hockey in Calgary as long as they will. Then who knows.

Just seems extremely Janky to me to throw this all out over forced costs by the city.

Doesn't matter I suppose. Life has more important things to worry about than how much Billionaires spend and how City's negotiate deals. It all seems so stupid.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #598
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

CSEC CEO John Beans press conference summary by Adam MacVicar. Spoiled for size.

Spoiler!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #599
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Finding a local buyer that will buy the team and fund the new arena seems unlikely. That's a lot of money to find locally.

That's why Houston is always brought up, they have an arena already. Money's not an issue. They just need to pay the relocation fee which would probably lower the teams price proportionately.
Why does it seem unlikely? It’s the most likely solution in any sale scenario, still below CSEC and the city just working it out.

A new ownership group would have zero requirement to continue on with this arena at this time. They may feel it completely reasonable to play out of the dome while prices stabilise and design their own arena in conjunction with the city.

Discounting it as unlikely is meaningless. It’s more likely than relocation in any scenario.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #600
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Great population samples, but I believe it falls apart when you apply the context of interest in hockey.
Maybe, maybe not. Some of those cities already have a history with hockey. Add in local rivalries and the immediate success which comes with an established team, and a major league sport may be just what the market needed. Remember when Vegas was going to be a huge risk? A good team in a good building in a good location is certain to draw in fans.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good