Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #1461
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
3080 is exactly what I expected, good card not ball dropping amazing. Perf/watt is good frames/$ is good. 10GB of RAM will be an issue though but this is how Nvidia rolls, put as little memory on the cards as they can get away with so you're forced to upgrade.
Gamers Nexus said in their review that the VRAM isn't that big of a deal as most games don't take advantage of it fully. Even if it shows 11GB addressed that doesn't mean that's how much is actually in use.

I'll be waiting for the ti versions to see how much they can boost things even further. My 1080ti does 90% of what I want anyway.

I'm more worried that I jumped the gun upgrading my CPU. Zen 3 is right around the corner. Oh well, I'm happy with what I've got.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:09 PM   #1462
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Gamers Nexus said in their review that the VRAM isn't that big of a deal as most games don't take advantage of it fully. Even if it shows 11GB addressed that doesn't mean that's how much is actually in use.
Not now, will happen. Also I don't only use by GPUs for gaming.

I'll be waiting a bit to see if AMD can get it together in GPUs but I doubt it.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #1463
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Up on Newegg!

https://www.newegg.ca/msi-geforce-rt...Rd4Npo16wNR0Aw
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #1464
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Watched a few more reviews and it's an impressive card even if it doesn't quite hit the twice as fast mark (and we should have expected, the twice as fast was for the raytracing stuff, and Linus had one graph of that and it was almost twice as fast).

I'll get one eventually though I'm waiting to see what the new AMD chips are like, maybe I'll upgrade that first.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #1465
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microcenter in the US

Old 09-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #1466
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do not exit, can't even leave the store.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #1467
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, reminds me to pick up those LG CX monitors/TV now that a video card has hdmi 2.1

Another reason why I wouldn't bother with the previous generation or 2080ti even at a super cheap price. At this point it's all in on gsync for those sweet sweet oleds.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 07:07 AM   #1468
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

lol, was on newegg.ca got a 3080 in my cart, went to check out and then sold out. yikes
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #1469
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Import from Japan? lol

https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos...S/0225480b-22/
Old 09-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #1470
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or Germany?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/produc...KR8XB7XF&psc=1
Old 09-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #1471
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some listings on amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-GeForce-RT...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Zotac on Best Buy as well.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #1472
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Think I'll be looking in October for 3070 - big upgrade it would appear from my 1070 and a very decent price point.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #1473
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to the Memory Express SE location and arrived just over an hour before they opened. There was already a line forming; I was #16. There were probably 80-100 people in line behind me by the time the store opened. Ten minutes before they opened the doors, an employee came out and handed a numbered ticket to everyone in line. Awesome, I'm home free! Everyone naturally assumed the tickets corresponded to the number of 3080 cards they had in stock, right? WRONG. The tickets only allowed you to place a pre-order. They had zero cards in stock and couldn't say when the inventory would arrive.

Edit: Also, at no point did a MemEx employee ever come outside to tell all the people queuing up that there was no inventory. Even when they handed out the numbered tickets, they didn't say they were for pre-orders only. It was only after the first guy in line went inside, came out empty-handed except for a pre-order receipt, and told everyone waiting what was going on that we found out. Poor form, Memory Express, poor form.

Last edited by MarchHare; 09-17-2020 at 12:15 PM.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #1474
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I went to the Memory Express SE location and arrived just over an hour before they opened. There was already a line forming; I was #16. There were probably 80-100 people in line behind me by the time the store opened. Ten minutes before they opened the doors, an employee came out and handed a numbered ticket to everyone in line. Awesome, I'm home free! Everyone naturally assumed the tickets corresponded to the number of 3080 cards they had in stock, right? WRONG. The tickets only allowed you to place a pre-order. They had zero cards in stock and couldn't say when the inventory would arrive.

Edit: Also, at no point did a MemEx employee ever come outside to tell all the people queuing up that there was no inventory. Even when they handed out the numbered tickets, they didn't say they were for pre-orders only. It was only after the first guy in line went inside, came out empty-handed except for a pre-order receipt, and told everyone waiting what was going on that we found out. Poor form, Memory Express, poor form.

Ouch. I at least phoned them before I headed down at lunch. The guy I talked to at the NW store said the got 20 cards company wide.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #1475
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post

Yikes! That sucks.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #1476
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do these cards even exist? No one on reddit seems to have one either.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #1477
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Do these cards even exist? No one on reddit seems to have one either.
I'm convinced it's only a phony paper launch because Nvidia was under pressure to get something out before their fiscal quarter ends in two weeks. A handful of review sites, benchmarkers, and popular influencers (Twitch streamers, YouTubers, etc.) were personally sent a card directly from Nvidia, but I haven't seen a single regular customer claiming they were able to successfully buy one from either an online or brick & mortar retailer.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 02:39 PM   #1478
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nvidia is really good at PR no doubt about it. They know exactly how to play the press/tech sites. Know exactly how to sandbag performance and magically release a faster card when needed.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #1479
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I am also on the look out for the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh case - can't find any where in Canada. booo!!!
There's 2 in stock online now:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/prod...item_id=175082
Old 09-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #1480
photon

Exp:

There's also a new case out by Corsair, the 4000D and they're in stock on Amazon.