Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #1041
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So why post all this GG hate in this thread? There is a Fire GG thread for that.
can I not discuss my opinion that GG is not a good coach in the thread titled GG is a good coach? It is just disagreeing... Also, this question has been answered many times in the thread above...
Wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #1042
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Seven.
Two.
And one.

Before anyone posts any silly anecdote about player deployment or how they hate looking at that godawful silver tie of his, just know -- that's the Flames' record in the last ten.

This is a good team, for ####'s sake.
And that's fine. After seeing what this team has and what it can be, there is no problem with wanting more.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #1043
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
And that's fine. After seeing what this team has and what it can be, there is no problem with wanting more.
I’m not sure how much more there is over and above a team that wins 70% in a 10 game stretch
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #1044
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team lost. Obligatory bump to this thread. Time to yell about our individual perceptions about Gulutzan that are unsubstantiated.

All in good fun fellas. Have at 'er.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #1045
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
The team lost. Obligatory bump to this thread. Time to yell about our individual perceptions about Gulutzan that are unsubstantiated.

All in good fun fellas. Have at 'er.
Will Gulutzan ever beat the Oilers?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #1046
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Keenan did get results. More of a creative offense and less focus on defense. I think people often forget how beat up the flames were durng the 2009 playoffs before he got relieved of his duties. I think he got the shaft.

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008..._Flames_season
The flames might have won a cup in 2009 if not for the injuries. That team was stacked and Keenan was pushing all the right buttons
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #1047
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’m not sure how much more there is over and above a team that wins 70% in a 10 game stretch
To say that this team deserves to be treated as a .700 team is absurd. Every team goes through spurts. As of late they are getting better but have to iron out deficiencies.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #1048
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
There's nothing wrong with Janko and Versteeg on OT, they just need to play with a more veteran D.

Either that or they left the D out to dry!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #1049
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

I was really unimpressed with the Forward line Blender last night.

Versteeg-Janko-Jagr was super ineffective. Although, I feel Jagr may quite possibly have been our hardest working forward against the Jackets.

The jackets also played the Flames like a fiddle. The hard NZ trap dating the flames to dump and chase knowing their D can turn and retrieve before the Flames. So GG the puts Johnny wit Her bennett and Brouwer but those two are useless on puck retrieval..

It just seems that if GG’s initial run and fun strategy doesn’t work he throws the lines in a blender and then has no real plan from there.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #1050
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I was really unimpressed with the Forward line Blender last night.

Versteeg-Janko-Jagr was super ineffective. Although, I feel Jagr may quite possibly have been our hardest working forward against the Jackets.

The jackets also played the Flames like a fiddle. The hard NZ trap dating the flames to dump and chase knowing their D can turn and retrieve before the Flames. So GG the puts Johnny wit Her bennett and Brouwer but those two are useless on puck retrieval..

It just seems that if GG’s initial run and fun strategy doesn’t work he throws the lines in a blender and then has no real plan from there.
This last part confuses me. Last night he made some adjustments, and granted they did not work, but for 95% of the season the biggest complaint I've seen is GG's unwillingness to mix up the lines and to continue to roll his 4 lines over and over. I actually view his attempts to mix things up to find a way to break through the Jacket's defense as a positive move from his normally rigid stance towards his lineup. Jackets are just a really good smother team.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #1051
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
There's nothing wrong with Janko and Versteeg on OT, they just need to play with a more veteran D.
They were playing with Brodie. Who made a freak error. Not their fault.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #1052
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just like the games after the Detroit loss, the response from the team after the Columbus loss can say a lot about GG. So what happened after the last loss? 2 wins. What about the loss before? 2 wins. I will take a .600 record for the rest of the season. Overall a .571 w/l % (or .591 points %) is also good and I will take it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #1053
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
This last part confuses me. Last night he made some adjustments, and granted they did not work, but for 95% of the season the biggest complaint I've seen is GG's unwillingness to mix up the lines and to continue to roll his 4 lines over and over. I actually view his attempts to mix things up to find a way to break through the Jacket's defense as a positive move from his normally rigid stance towards his lineup. Jackets are just a really good smother team.
I think that says it all right there: there are a handful of posters on this board who seem to be unhappy with Gulutzan regardless of happenings or the outcome. It is why he gets singled out after every loss, and why the seemingly most benign decisions are exaggerated beyond proportion to the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #1054
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
They were playing with Brodie. Who made a freak error. Not their fault.

Where were they when the second guy came in received a pass and scored?
Old 11-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #1055
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Where were they when the second guy came in received a pass and scored?
Brodie had full possession of the puck behind our net in a 3 on 3 situation.

They weren't, nor should have been, thinking about defense in that scenario. They were trying to get open so as to receive a break out pass in order to hopefully create an odd man rush and score the game winning goal.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #1056
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think that says it all right there: there are a handful of posters on this board who seem to be unhappy with Gulutzan regardless of happenings or the outcome. It is why he gets singled out after every loss, and why the seemingly most benign decisions are exaggerated beyond proportion to the results.
I'm critical of GG and I didn't say a peep about him last night. He saw something wasn't working so he mixed things up.
Versteeg is a logical choice to try on that line and see how it goes.

CLB is a great team, and I don't expect to win every game.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #1057
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Brodie had full possession of the puck behind our net in a 3 on 3 situation.

They weren't, nor should have been, thinking about defense in that scenario. They were trying to get open so as to receive a break out pass in order to hopefully create an odd man rush and score the game winning goal.

Sure okay, but still where were they when the second guy came in a scored in the defensive zone? The second guy wasn't being covered?

I don't recall him having full possession thought there was some fighting for the puck, but will look at it again after our family Thanksgiving is done!!

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 11-23-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #1058
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Sure okay, but still where were they when the second guy came in a scored in the defensive zone? The second guy wasn't being covered?

I don't recall him having full possession thought there was some fighting for the puck, but will look at it again after our family Thanksgiving is done!!
Brodie grabbed the puck behind the net with nobody around him. He tried skating it out front and it came off his stick like 5 feet right to a CBJ player
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #1059
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
Brodie grabbed the puck behind the net with nobody around him. He tried skating it out front and it came off his stick like 5 feet right to a CBJ player
He's been losing the puck off his stick a lot. Half of his mistakes come that way. And before anyone says anything, it's been both on forehand and backhand.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #1060
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Easy gents.. I haven’t been a vocal supporter of the GG = NG crowd.

The blender I guess I have less of a problem with rather the ingredients used.

Johnny - Bennett - Brouwer looked useless

Versteeg - Janko - Jagr was not very good, but Jagr was working his ass off all game. I felt bad for Jagr that Steeger was so meh about it and squandered the opportunity..

Why GG chose those combinations frustrates me.

But I’m 50/50 about GG being removed. I’m sure everyone would find something they dislike about another coach. So I’m impartial.
I think long term GG needs to get that D playing like the best D in the league or his days will be numbered..
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post: