Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #141
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Weekend coming up but they dont play until MOnday???

What a dumb league
It's Memorial Day, so a holiday, not really a big deal that it is a Monday and not a Sunday.
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #142
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Is it crazy for me to think that the Caps can't win this series with speed?

A superstar team with by far the best player in the series against an expansion team and it's the superstar team that has to trap and slow it down to a boring grind? That's insane isn't it?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Gotta think that they would be ready by Sunday evening for a game
Monday is a US holiday so there's some merit to having the game on Monday.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #144
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Memorial day is one of the biggest weekends in Vegas so it makes sense to wait until Monday evening to avoid complete madness on the strip as lots of people will have started to go home already.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #145
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Is it crazy for me to think that the Caps can't win this series with speed?

A superstar team with by far the best player in the series against an expansion team and it's the superstar team that has to trap and slow it down to a boring grind? That's insane isn't it?
Its insane but that's what is going to happen I think.

Maybe a little run and gun but if the caps get the lead it will be full on trap mode. They are extremely good at shutting teams down that way.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #146
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Two likeable teams, seems like this is never the case.

I love the story of Vegas but anyone who has followed the league for a decade or more knows how much Ovi has had his title coming, if not for the penguins standing in the way for so long.

Vegas has done a fine job in taking out the stupid kings, stinking sharks and overrated jets. Now I'm satisfied.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #147
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
...Vegas has done a fine job in taking out the stupid kings, stinking sharks and overrated jets. Now I'm satisfied.
I cannot echo this strongly enough. Good job, Vegas. Especially for vanquishing the obnoxious Winnipeg Jets.

Quote:
I love the story of Vegas but anyone who has followed the league for a decade or more knows how much Ovi has had his title coming, if not for the penguins standing in the way for so long.
The plight of the Capitals reminds me quite a lot of those great Flames teams of the eighties—consistently among the best in the NHL, but always unable to get over the hump and beat the stupid Oilers and their generational talent in the playoffs. Gretzky and his cadre of bad hair and nauseatingly entitled teammates undoubtedly stood in the way of a couple more Stanley Cups in Calgary.

Washington has my love for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #148
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Its insane but that's what is going to happen I think. Maybe a little run and gun but if the caps get the lead it will be full on trap mode. They are extremely good at shutting teams down that way.
Yep. The Lightning - arguably the best offensive team in the NHL - didn't have a shot for the first 11 minutes of the third period of game 7. That's absurd.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #149
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

They are fun to watch and play as a team. They're well coached.
Just about every playoff team, and a number of non-playoff teams, are "well-coached."

That doesn't mean Gallant hasn't done a fine job: the results speak for themselves. And they do play an exciting style that is partly due to Gallant. He deserves the Jack Adams. But calling a Cup finalist "well-coached" isn't very meaningful.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #150
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Pink has a concert there on Saturday. I am far from an expert on setting up sound/concert stages, but I am guessing Friday and Sunday would be out for setup and take down.
No, that would be crazy if you needed three days free for one event. Concerts just require the day they are playing, especially with a lot of major American arenas seeing 90% of the days in a year used for events.

Hell, some even switch between basketball and hockey in the same day.

The first suggestion in this thread is likely the correct one - They're trying to avoid NBA game nights, along with no Saturday due to Pink.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:14 AM   #151
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Tirico will be the host for game 1 on NBC and some other games in the series.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #152
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

The big break between games isn’t the end of the world but I don’t like it for a couple reasons:

A) part of the reason the Cup is the hardest trophy to win is the playoff grind. 4 7 game series and playing every other day. With this break the Knights will have rested for quite awhile which takes away a bit of the mystique around the tenacity required to win the Cup.

B) many including myself complain that the season is too long in the first place. This playoffs could have ended earlier by a few days. Dragging hockey into June has always seemed a bit ridiculous. I think it’d be better to open training camps earlier in September and start the season mid September and end the season at the end of May rather than into 1st/2nd week June.

Again, neither point above is the end of the world.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #153
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we know who's calling the series on Snet?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #154
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The big break between games isn’t the end of the world but I don’t like it for a couple reasons:

A) part of the reason the Cup is the hardest trophy to win is the playoff grind. 4 7 game series and playing every other day. With this break the Knights will have rested for quite awhile which takes away a bit of the mystique around the tenacity required to win the Cup.
Even with the layoff and the break between games the Stanley Cup is still easily the hardest trophy to win.

Quote:
B) many including myself complain that the season is too long in the first place. This playoffs could have ended earlier by a few days. Dragging hockey into June has always seemed a bit ridiculous. I think it’d be better to open training camps earlier in September and start the season mid September and end the season at the end of May rather than into 1st/2nd week June...

How do you figure that the playoffs could have ended earlier? I think the only way to do so would have been for the NHL to schedule as if with impunity, and to ignore the NBA Finals. I suppose this was technically possible, but how pragmatic or wise would it be to compete directly with the NBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #155
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Do we know who's calling the series on Snet?
Hughson & Simpson for CBC/SN
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #156
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in Vegas right now. The City sure has embraced the team. Lots of VGK gear. A popular t shirt is "Golden Misfits". Also lots of people sad that they didn't plunk down a hundred bucks at the beginning of the season.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #157
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two sympathetic teams. Will be a fun series. Envious of those fans, I hope they make the most of the celebration.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #158
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

B) many including myself complain that the season is too long in the first place. This playoffs could have ended earlier by a few days. Dragging hockey into June has always seemed a bit ridiculous. I think it’d be better to open training camps earlier in September and start the season mid September and end the season at the end of May rather than into 1st/2nd week June.

Again, neither point above is the end of the world.
NHL post season in June isn’t much stranger than playing hockey in the desert really it’s probably only strange to we northerners.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #159
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Vegas brothel has a special offer for Golden Knights

I guess that's one way to motivate the players Now which one of you said that Vegas have been busting [their] butts all year?
I'm sure all of their wives are pleased with this prospect...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #160
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder how much Fleury's left leg injury will play into this series.

If it's a hamstring that's pretty bad for a goalie. Glute muscle strain wouldn't be so bad.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote