Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #1061
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could explain why Jooris played centre last night instead of Stajan when Ferland went into the line-up.

Barring the return - I'd keep Jooris as the 4th line centre though. He's a decent player.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #1062
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
@DarrenDreger

Steady trade talk league wide. Cgy Flames with a list of players in play. Russell, Hudler, Colborne, Jooris, Hiller and Jones. #TradeCentre
Dreger felt like an idiot because he knew nothing about the Granlund deal, so now he's listing the bottom half of Calgary's roster, plus Hudler. Might as well throw Stajan and Bollig on the list too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #1063
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I really wish we weren't shopping Jooris. His underlying stats are very strong.

After making this mistake with Byron, I really don't understand how it could happen again with Jooris.
i don't know.... Jooris can play a tenacious game (not at the level of byron mind you), but this year, it hasn't had similar impacts. Not creating turnovers, quick transition, or generally generating much as far as real scoring chances.

If we ignore last season, i'd be all for dropping the guy. However, when considering his impacts/results from last year, i suppose the jooris reality is somewhere in between what he showed last year and this year. Even then, is that really worth keeping or giving someone else a shot.

at the end of hte day, i don't know if it really matters. The success of the team won't be heavily impacted by the 11th/12th forward on the team, which jooris/byron type players are.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #1064
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colborne, Jones and Jooris are exactly the kind of players whose value skyrockets on the deadline, compared to their value the rest of the year. Personally, I believe that they are replaceable, both internally and externally.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #1065
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny, advanced stats for the Flames and their players were horrible last year and they make the playoffs. This year, their advanced stats are better and was a key focus point for improvement and they're fighting for the 1st overall draft pick. Advanced stats are broken.

If Jooris' underlying stats are so good, why does he constantly get scratched? Because he isn't that good. The eye test is a better metric than advanced stats. Maybe even the smell test.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #1066
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

After making this mistake with Byron, I really don't understand how it could happen again with Jooris.
He had a really rought start to the year IMO but lately has been one of the few bright spots of our bottom six.

Back to providing energy.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #1067
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Which stats?

I really don't think Jooris is anything special, he's completely replaceable. Same with Byron.
I think Jooris brings the ability to play any role. Center,Wing, Strong forechecker, great PK'er, has a bit of an offensive touch. I'd like the Flames to keep him. I see him as a bit faster of a Bouma.

But I agree there are many players in the league that can fill that role.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #1068
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
It's funny, advanced stats for the Flames and their players were horrible last year and they make the playoffs. This year, their advanced stats are better and was a key focus point for improvement and they're fighting for the 1st overall draft pick. Advanced stats are broken.

If Jooris' underlying stats are so good, why does he constantly get scratched? Because he isn't that good. The eye test is a better metric than advanced stats. Maybe even the smell test.
Probably the same reason why Wideman is always dressed and on the PP.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #1069
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Dreger felt like an idiot because he knew nothing about the Granlund deal, so now he's listing the bottom half of Calgary's roster, plus Hudler. Might as well throw Stajan and Bollig on the list too.
How funny would it be if of all the names listed it ended up being Stajan who was traded this afternoon.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #1070
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
How funny would it be if of all the names listed it ended up being Stajan who was traded this afternoon.
His contract makes it almost impossible. If it wasn't for that, he'd be a good addition for a lot of teams.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #1071
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Both Grant and Hathaway made be ready to step in and replace him.

Personally I thought Hathaway made the team last training camp and looked very much like Jooris with a bit better skill.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #1072
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
PDO.

Advanced/Enhanced Stats isn't a catch all single stat. Yes their Corsi/SAT & Fenwick/USAT are better this year but their PDO (sh%+sv%) has cratered. Basically all those guys that had career years last year are having normal years this year and our goaltending has been well below average.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #1073
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

When we talk about "underlying stats" could that be elaborated on? The term underlying means nothing to me, and I'm more open to advanced stats than most here.

NOt meaning to single you but I see that a lot lately. "The underlying stats"
Old 02-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #1074
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
He's my favourite player, don't question it. I hope he gets traded, will always hope the best for him, hope he gets a contract next year. Hey, maybe he'll come back here 1 x 1 and play as our 12th/13th forward. However, it's probably best that we move on from him.
Why in god's name is your favorite player a 12th/13th forward on a bad team? That just depresses me. You need to pick better players as your "favorites".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #1075
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Why in god's name is your favorite player a 12th/13th forward on a bad team? That just depresses me. You need to pick better players as your "favorites".
I hung out with a girl a couple times whose favorite Flame ever was Ian White. She wouldn't tell me why and got mad when I told her that was stupid.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #1076
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Which stats?

I really don't think Jooris is anything special, he's completely replaceable. Same with Byron.

Very similar deployment and results. Jooris is actually more productive and he's been snake bitten all year.

This would be Paul Byron 2.0. The Flames have to be smarter than that. It's almost eerie.

Last edited by Ashasx; 02-24-2016 at 01:10 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #1077
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Very similar deployment and results. Jooris is actually more productive had he's been snake bitten all year.

This would be Paul Byron 2.0. The Flames have to be smarter than that.
Which would be Dustin Boyd 3.0, or Matthew Lombardi 4.0?

Old 02-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #1078
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I absolutely hate advanced stats.

People should rarely if ever be pissed about losing plugs like Byron or Jooris these guys are playing 10min a game or less. They sre slightly better than other 4th liners who cares?

Flames can't commit money and term to these guys and need to focus on establishing a solid core to keep and bringing up prospects to fill these bottom line roles
Old 02-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #1079
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

This would be Paul Byron 2.0. The Flames have to be smarter than that. It's almost eerie.
Whoop de do.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #1080
RockOnRoberts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I hung out with a girl a couple times whose favorite Flame ever was Ian White. She wouldn't tell me why and got mad when I told her that was stupid.
With a mustache like White's, the answer should be obvious.