Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #201
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Nobody wants to run him out of town, it's apparent he wants to leave and he's just a victim of his cap hit. I don't think you'd find many, if any, people here that actually want him gone because they think he's trash.
I think it was apparent he wanted ice time and thought he deserved it over some that were gifted it (*cough* Neal)
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #202
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I think it was apparent he wanted ice time and thought he deserved it over some that were gifted it (*cough* Neal)
He sure spent a lot of time on the 2nd line for a guy whining about ice time.

I'm not happy with Neal either but again, the problem with Frolik isn't Frolik, it's the fact that he has one year left on his deal and makes 1 mil too much.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #203
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who cares how close it was? It didn't get done. Time to move on.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #204
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ that was after the early season controversy, wasn’t it?

He makes a decent wage for a .5 ppg guy who is a solid 2 way player. Consistent and dependable. You know what you are getting.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #205
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
James Neal had over 700 games 250 goals and almost 500 points prior to joining the Flames. Yeah, guys with that much offensive pedigree get "gifted' ice time on their new teams. Frolik was "gifted" ice time when he signed here as well.

Why is this a thing to be upset/noted about exactly?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #206
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ that was after the early season controversy, wasn’t it?

He makes a decent wage for a .5 ppg guy who is a solid 2 way player. Consistent and dependable. You know what you are getting.
Wasn't there a breakdown recently saying he got most of his points in a single month? He was absolutely not consistent, he had to get scratched a few times to wake him up

Last edited by btimbit; 07-01-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #207
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Frolik's contract is fine. Its the 10.75 million on Brouwer, Neal, and Stone that is causing the squeeze.
Unfortunately its enough waste to force the team into moving more useful bodies to accomodate this.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #208
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody wants to run him out of town, it's apparent he wants to leave and he's just a victim of his cap hit. I don't think you'd find many, if any, people here that actually want him gone because they think he's trash.

I love Frolik, but as a guy with one year left on his deal that makes about 1 mil too much on a team that needs cap space, he's a victim of asset management. The fact that his agent publicly whined about his ice time it seems like finding him an opportunity elsewhere can be a win-win
I’d run him out of town if he pulls a wagon with a few others in it.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #209
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Frolik's contract is fine. Its the 10.75 million on Brouwer, Neal, and Stone that is causing the squeeze.
Unfortunately its enough waste to force the team into moving more useful bodies to accomodate this.
No argument here on the bolded, but the point remains that Frolik needing to be moved is a victim of asset management, nothing else. That's hardly people wanting to run him out of town
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #210
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Wasn't there a breakdown recently saying he got most of his points in a single month? He was absolutely not consistent, he had to get scratched a few times to wake him up
Don’t think so. You must be misremembering his utilization. 5 points in 12 games in Oct, reduced ice time and 4th line deployment and then scratched a bunch (over a month between games) in Nov/Dec. Agent made noise, he got ice time, he ended up over .5 ppg.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #211
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don’t think so. You must be misremembering his utilization. 5 points in 12 games in Oct, reduced ice time and 4th line deployment and then scratched a bunch (over a month between games) in Nov/Dec. Agent made noise, he got ice time, he ended up over .5 ppg.
That's right I remember now. He had that weird October with 5 goals and no assists, then got injured and was pretty bad when he came back. Woke up after a couple scratches in December and finished the year strong.

Not sure who I was thinking of, I could've sworn there was someone that got most of their points in January and was mediocre the rest of the year
Old 07-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #212
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Who cares how close it was? It didn't get done. Time to move on.
And was it ever really "close" if the NTC was always there to block it?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:56 PM   #213
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
That's right I remember now. He had that weird October with 5 goals and no assists, then got injured and was pretty bad when he came back. Woke up after a couple scratches in December and finished the year strong.

Not sure who I was thinking of, I could've sworn there was someone that got most of their points in January and was mediocre the rest of the year
The whole top line and Tkachuk had some pretty poor stretches post ASG except for a couple of ridiculously big 4-6 point games.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 PM   #214
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the trade came down to Bennett vs Kerfoot, and Calgary wasn’t willing to upgrade on Bennett.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:02 PM   #215
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is why I’m getting so sick of the NHL. It should be a privilege to play in this league even if you end up in a city like Edmonton or Winnipeg. The fact that players can veto a trade based on location is ridiculous.

As a fan of the flames it makes it that much harder to build a Stanley Cup championship caliber team. I wish they would eliminate this BS from the CBA but you know that would never happen.

Teams such as New York, LA and Toronto will always be top locations while small market teams (especially Canadian markets) continue to suffer. There are times that I truly question why I’m a fan of this league. From crappy officiating to player No movement clauses i’m starting to have enough already.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #216
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

The reality is these three things have decreased the teams flexibility and opportunity. If we had the cap space we would likely have went after a bigger impact player this off season. That player could very well have been a difference maker especially considering the fact that the first line struggled to find the extra gear to take us to the dance.

In Brouwer and Neal BT was looking for something and he didn't get it from either player. Both players at times coasted on their big contracts and left the team wondering and wanting.

I have been curious as to what is causing BT to make the same mistake twice when he is actually quite shrewd. Did these players check off the boxes that met or exceeded BT's expectations; or are these players simply good talkers which gave BT the impression they would meet the expectations that got them the said contracts. When I look at Lazar and even GG they seem to have something in common; Very like-able and very good talkers.

Maybe BT needs to reassess his check boxes. All in all I think BT has done an excellent job, but it never hurts to look at certain trends that might be impeding, or setting us back.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #217
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
The reality is these three things have decreased the teams flexibility and opportunity. If we had the cap space we would likely have went after a bigger impact player this off season. That player could very well have been a difference maker especially considering the fact that the first line struggled to find the extra gear to take us to the dance.

In Brouwer and Neal BT was looking for something and he didn't get it from either player. Both players at times coasted on their big contracts and left the team wondering and wanting.

I have been curious as to what is causing BT to make the same mistake twice when he is actually quite shrewd. Did these players check off the boxes that met or exceeded BT's expectations; or are these players simply good talkers which gave BT the impression they would meet the expectations that got them the said contracts. When I look at Lazar and even GG they seem to have something in common; Very like-able and very good talkers.

Maybe BT needs to reassess his check boxes. All in all I think BT has done an excellent job, but it never hurts to look at certain trends that might be impeding, or setting us back.
I don't understand how BT is responsible for Brower or Neal though. By all accounts they should have worked out. It's on the players not the GM with these two.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #218
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Neal signing was almost universally praised when it was announced. I don't pin that one on Treliving for a second (and Neal could still work out, he finished the year marginally better with 12 points in his last 25 games).

Something that I don't know if everyone knows:

Since New Years' Eve:

Mangiapane - 13 points in 37 games
Neal - 12 points in 25 games

I'm really willing to give Neal a shot with a better centre than Jankowski.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 07-01-2019 at 11:44 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #219
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
I don't understand how BT is responsible for Brower or Neal though. By all accounts they should have worked out. It's on the players not the GM with these two.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

I somewhat disagree. Sure maybe he couldn't see it coming; But if he had the prior experience he may have done things differently, He could have put them on show me contracts or signed them to slightly bigger contracts for shorter term like Chicago is doing with Lehner 1yr $5 million. Should he be absolved of blame, is it lack of experience, or just bad luck? Either way maybe he is looking in the wrong places, age, range, type of player. This is an area that can assessed and improved upon going forward just like Chicago is doing. It may be on the players but the decision to go ahead and pay them has met mixed results so what is the solution?
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #220
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s what Frolik is, and lots of people can’t wait to run him out of town
Who are you “running out of town” then? You don’t get to choose Stone or Neal.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote