Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #2001
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'm the same. I have such conflicting feelings when I give in to my primal urges and eat an ice cream cone. I know the ####-show that I've got coming. I know it. But I do it anyway. Because ice cream is so tasty.
I’ve found that lactose free (coconut milk based) ice cream can actually be incredible. I recommend it as it got me through this disappointing time.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #2002
Hes
Eye Guy

Exp:

Ok. If you miss your turn do not slam on your brakes on Glenmore merging onto Crowchild North.

This idiot slammed on their brakes in the right lane of the merge onto Crowchild so they could look at their missed turn. They actually stopped completely for 5 seconds. Nearly caused a 4 car accident with me in the middle of the #### sandwhich. Revoke their licence.
Hes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #2003
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Ok. If you miss your turn do not slam on your brakes on Glenmore merging onto Crowchild North.

This idiot slammed on their brakes in the right lane of the merge onto Crowchild so they could look at their missed turn. They actually stopped completely for 5 seconds. Nearly caused a 4 car accident with me in the middle of the #### sandwhich. Revoke their licence.
I hope that horns were honked with great vigour.

I try and give people a pass with the little mistakes that happen, but something like that is so infuriating.

When I miss an exit, that's on me. I keep moving my sorry ass into a safe place where I can figure out my next move. I don't shift the burden of my struggling to the rest of the drivers on the road.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #2004
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’ve found that lactose free (coconut milk based) ice cream can actually be incredible. I recommend it as it got me through this disappointing time.
I know, and Village always has something nice for a lactose-free option. But sometimes I just want the full dairy Vanilla Bean and consequences be damned. And I've yet to come across a lactose-free milkshake.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #2005
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
have you ever tried the lactaid pills? my wife is lactose intolerant and we usually have her "special milk" (as our kids call it!), but if we're out she'll take one and it seems to work.

she also uses them when i make any milk-based sauces (fettuccine, carbonara, etc.)
Thanks, yeah I have them as well, they do work well. But I forget sometimes, and it was such a small, snack-sized bowl that I thought my stomach could handle it...it could not haha.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #2006
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post

I was in Ontario a few weeks ago and a guy missed his turn. He was coming towards us, but behind another vehicle so we didn't see him until he pulled out. We were doing about 90km/h. So he missed his turn, and does a 3 point turn in the middle of the road, as we were barrelling towards him. My friend hit the brakes as soon as he saw, and we manged to stop about a foot short of creaming this guy. Did he try to get out of the way as we came in hot, with the horn on? No! It was like we weren't even there. He finished his turn an sauntered down the road, at 30km/h until he got back to his turn off. We pulled of on a side road to empty our trousers.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #2007
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody have trouble with the Mobil pumps at Superstore? It’s probably just me, or a messed up pump, but I just got completely stumped by the Mobil gas pump at the Superstore on Centre St last night. Tried to fill up, but it wouldn’t let me. Prepay at the pump, it only wanted some Mobil card rewards card or my phone number before it would proceed. I entered my phone number and then it told me to put in my Mobil rewards card and wouldn’t proceed further. I wasn’t in a huge rush for gas, so I just left and filled up later.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #2008
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody have trouble with the Mobil pumps at Superstore? It’s probably just me, or a messed up pump, but I just got completely stumped by the Mobil gas pump at the Superstore on Centre St last night. Tried to fill up, but it wouldn’t let me. Prepay at the pump, it only wanted some Mobil card rewards card or my phone number before it would proceed. I entered my phone number and then it told me to put in my Mobil rewards card and wouldn’t proceed further. I wasn’t in a huge rush for gas, so I just left and filled up later.
Phone number is for PC points. You can skip that if you just put in your credit card first.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #2009
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Sometimes the complexity of gas pumps amazes me. Its a very simple machine for a very simple transaction.

I pay. It gives me fuel. This should be the end of it.

I remember in Hawaii we were filling up our rental car, or trying to anyways, and it was asking us for our Zip code.

Yeah....thats going to be a problem.

"Oh are you Australian? Those are tough."

No.

Look. I dont want to start an international incident or anything but why in hell does the goddamned gas pump need a postal/zip code? Is it going to mail me my receipt? If I put my credit card in and its authorized should that not be sufficient to engage in the transaction?

Of all the stupid curveballs to throw in there...
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #2010
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Postal code is to prevent credit card fraud. If you put in 00XXX where XXX is the numbers in your postal code it usually works. Or else it’s XXX00 can’t remember which order
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #2011
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Postal code is to prevent credit card fraud. If you put in 00XXX where XXX is the numbers in your postal code it usually works. Or else it’s XXX00 can’t remember which order
Its almost as though if your credit card has a chip in it, it would require a PIN to prevent credit card fraud.

You know...like 4 numbers that can be used anywhere in the world because the system they're being entered into isnt dependent on only 1 country's postal service structure?

Its like the discussion about the Metric system all over again. Everyone else in the world has their poop in a group except the 'Muricans.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #2012
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
postal code is to prevent credit card fraud. If you put in 00xxx where xxx is the numbers in your postal code it usually works. Or else it’s xxx00 can’t remember which order
xxx00
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #2013
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its almost as though if your credit card has a chip in it, it would require a PIN to prevent credit card fraud.
The postal code part is part of a fraud prevention action. Most chipped cards are 'tap' now and can be tapped up to $100-200 (IIRC), so adding in the postal code tied to the card is a tap-prevention scheme.

How effective it is over it's annoyance to the customer...is highly debatable.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #2014
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Pretty sure postal code is asked for by stores for marketing purposes
Old 11-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #2015
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Shovelling snow really GMG. Between the giant corner lot, and all my elderly neighbours and driveways, it’s a solid waste of 2 hours just to shovel. I think it’s high time to pay someone.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #2016
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Phone number is for PC points. You can skip that if you just put in your credit card first.

I don’t know. The first option was “prepay at pump”, which I selected. Then it got into the Mobil stuff that doesn’t seem applicable. Thought they would at least ask for the PC Points / Optimum card, anyway then it asked for my phone number, fine, then the amount I wanted to fill, fine, and then it asking for the Mobil rewards card again then that’s when I couldn’t do anything to proceed. Hit cancel and tried again. Same result, so I gave up and left. Must be working for some people or I had a squirrelly pump that night.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #2017
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
In a store yes but on a US pay at the pump it’s credit card because putting in a random zip code doesn’t work
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #2018
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t know. The first option was “prepay at pump”, which I selected. Then it got into the Mobil stuff that doesn’t seem applicable. Thought they would at least ask for the PC Points / Optimum card, anyway then it asked for my phone number, fine, then the amount I wanted to fill, fine, and then it asking for the Mobil rewards card again then that’s when I couldn’t do anything to proceed. Hit cancel and tried again. Same result, so I gave up and left. Must be working for some people or I had a squirrelly pump that night.
Strange. Not how my local Mobil 1 works at all. However since the change you can't put in the PC card anymore, just phone number. But I've never had that lock me out entirely before.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #2019
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
By stores, yes. When pre-paying in the US at a pump, it's matched and verified to your card address to prevent fraud, much like a phone number/billing address when buying most things online.

If you go in and prepay, they don't need a ZIP. It's to prevent fraud at the pump, which is how scammed cards are often tested.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #2020
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

well. the more u know.