Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #301
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^
I disagree. He was effective in his first term and I don't remember him being nearly as snooty then. I think he has picked up some bad habits over the years.

It's annoying enough being chair of meetings with a functional group of people when they're accountable to you. Imagine having to chair this group of people when they're accountable to thousands of constituents and have their own agendas and goals.

I think they only way you don't end up catty and condescending after so many years is if you just don't give a ####.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #302
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
It's annoying enough being chair of meetings with a functional group of people when they're accountable to you. Imagine having to chair this group of people when they're accountable to thousands of constituents and have their own agendas and goals.

I think they only way you don't end up catty and condescending after so many years is if you just don't give a ####.
And Nenshi clearly still does care. It’s mostly due to his own ego, but.....

... I actually can’t even believe I’m defending Nenshi. He’s the right man for the job in my opinion. But he drives me nuts too.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #303
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Councillors are not accountable to the mayor.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #304
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Nenshi is brilliant. And he knows it. And he’s a pissy little bitch about it constantly.

So while I agree being snooty doesn’t have much of a place at city hall, it’s kind of what makes him effective.
He’s certainly more intelligent than the average person, but I’ve worked with a number of people who actually are brilliant and calling Nenshi the same is a massive stretch. A huge part of intelligence is emotional intelligence and Naheed is sorely lacking in this regard - people who are truly brilliant tend not to treat other with such arrogance and condescension.

Also, if you compare what he promised vs. what he’s actually delivered, you’ll find that he has been fairly ineffective. A mayor needs to be capable of building consensus and he’s not cut out for that.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #305
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What would be one of the areas where consensus was needed but wasn't delivered?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #306
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
He’s certainly more intelligent than the average person, but I’ve worked with a number of people who actually are brilliant and calling Nenshi the same is a massive stretch. A huge part of intelligence is emotional intelligence and Naheed is sorely lacking in this regard - people who are truly brilliant tend not to treat other with such arrogance and condescension.

Also, if you compare what he promised vs. what he’s actually delivered, you’ll find that he has been fairly ineffective. A mayor needs to be capable of building consensus and he’s not cut out for that.
That’s a weird definition. Steve Jobs was brilliant and he was by many accounts awful to be around. Same with Mark Zuckerberg.

Not saying Nenshi is in that realm, but emotional intelligence is not a gatekeeper to brilliance or intellect. A lack of it certainly harms one’s ability to be an effective leader, though. Perhaps that’s what you’re referring to.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #307
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^
I disagree. He was effective in his first term and I don't remember him being nearly as snooty then. I think he has picked up some bad habits over the years.
He was most popular when I was there..coincidence? I think NOT!!

Old 09-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #308
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post

I know two people that went through high school classes with Nenshi and they both say he was the smartest person they ever met. They knew he would go on to big things but never mentioned he was a jerk. Only that he could be a little annoying always having to be the first person with his hand up to answer questions. Maybe things went to his head after being elected? I would still like to see him in federal politics if only to see how much patience he would have in a bigger room with plenty more idiots than Calgary city hall.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-11-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #309
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Gotta say, if Chu is good at one thing, it's being a shield for Farkas. This entire debate is Chu vs. Nenshi, when it was all started by Farkas' latest bit of grandstanding designed to get himself into the news again.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #310
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can empathize with the mayor. Having to repeat yourself or explain something over again to somebody can really get on your nerves. I wonder though if they'll start trolling him like this to get a reaction.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #311
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Nenshi ran federally what party is he affiliated with?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #312
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Gotta say, if Chu is good at one thing, it's being a shield for Farkas. This entire debate is Chu vs. Nenshi, when it was all started by Farkas' latest bit of grandstanding designed to get himself into the news again.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #313
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I don’t like disfunction anywhere it does make politics more interesting, enjoyable and entertaining as long it’s not in my city.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #314
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Calgary isn't the only semi dysfunctional Council in the region. Rocky View County censured three councilors at the beginning of the summer.

Chestermere officially censured one Councilor

Crossfield may also censured a Councilor
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #315
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
If Nenshi ran federally what party is he affiliated with?
I would assume he would be a Liberal. Seems like the is more centrist and fiscally aware than NDP, and more aware of social aspects than the Conservatives.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote