Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #861
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schedule was leaked on the league website. Cavalry's schedule is below. Not impressed...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #862
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was inviting friends (and new fans) over to go to the Rose and Crown patio to watch on Thursday evening. Guess that's not happening anymore.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #863
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll start with the obligatory “I’m thankful for any season at all...” and “I know that we are dealing with a 3-hour time difference”.

But this schedule will make it very difficult for a lot of supporters to watch. I have a job that allows me the flexibility to watch soccer during the day, but many don’t have that luxury. Summer temperatures AND in the Atlantic time zone and evenings are barely utilized? Bizarre.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:38 PM   #864
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I definitely won’t be paying for a One Soccer subscription
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #865
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I’ll start with the obligatory “I’m thankful for any season at all...” and “I know that we are dealing with a 3-hour time difference”.

But this schedule will make it very difficult for a lot of supporters to watch. I have a job that allows me the flexibility to watch soccer during the day, but many don’t have that luxury. Summer temperatures AND in the Atlantic time zone and evenings are barely utilized? Bizarre.
I agree, either there's some serious logistical issues with playing at night or there's some serious idiots at head office who think that playing at the same time as the NHL is somehow worse than being in the middle of the day during the week when no one is watching.

I can at least catch most of the games, but having to do so during the work week is a problem, and will definitely prevent casual fans from watching.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:11 AM   #866
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

This league just can’t get out of its own way.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #867
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I called Cavalry. STHs who have already redeemed their 2020 One Soccer code can sign up for the Collective at the $99 add on rate. I have been told there will be no interruption in One Soccer service. I hope that's actually the case.
It looks like this is the case, and the info I got directly from OneSoccer saying they would cut the subscription August 10 was wrong. My OneSoccer worked last night and works this morning. So if you've already redeemed your code, it looks like you get free OneSoccer.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 07:25 AM   #868
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm setting up watch parties for the games I can at the Rose and Crown. I know a few people who can make it for the weekday games, whether unemployed or just deciding to take long lunches. Might as well try to make some lemonade...

Old 08-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #869
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just spoke to the Rose and Crown. They will have all games on with sound, unless they conflict with Flames games. They are also opening the pub up early at 10 am for the games on Aug 16 and Aug 30.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #870
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Just spoke to the Rose and Crown. They will have all games on with sound, unless they conflict with Flames games. They are also opening the pub up early at 10 am for the games on Aug 16 and Aug 30.
Sherm - do you know if they will have TVs or a projection outside for those of us that are weary of sitting inside?
Old 08-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #871
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the league listened!

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-pr...3SlZm9bv-rLWLs
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #872
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

WOOOOO! Hell yes!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #873
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good on the league for listening. That has been one positive so far with the CPL, they make mistakes as a new league but aren't afraid to correct this as shown by this and when they adjusted the year schedule prior to the pandemic to have mostly weekend games.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #874
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
Good on the league for listening. That has been one positive so far with the CPL, they make mistakes as a new league but aren't afraid to correct this as shown by this and when they adjusted the year schedule prior to the pandemic to have mostly weekend games.
I too am pleased that the league listened and changed course quickly. They hinted that we will likely see more fixtures changed after Thursday goes well (fingers crossed).

It is still really strange that they did not foresee the reaction to this. Growing pains, learning curve, and all that aside, the league (and sometimes Cavalry) have made some decisions that are really puzzling, and that one was perhaps the most. A poll of one random person could've told you how terrible it was.

But... Onward!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #875
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just in time for the first game, the verdict on the racism allegations is out. If I understand this correctly, which I don't, there wasn't enough evidence to convict Reynders, as thus he is cleared of wrongdoing?

Quote:
Canada Soccer announced today that the independent investigation, ordered by the Canada Soccer Appeals Committee, related to allegations of racial comments made at the completion of the opening leg of the 4 June 2019 Canadian Championship match between Forge FC and Calvary FC is complete. The decision of the Canada Soccer Disciplinary Committee of 26 August 2019 to suspend Mr. P. Reyndners was appealed on 16 September 2019 to the independent Appeals Panel. The Canada Soccer Disciplinary Committee decision of 26 August 2019 was overturned by the Appeals Panel on 6 November 2019 effectively meeting the request for appeal and clearing Mr. P. Reyndners. However, because the appeal was found on procedural grounds, the Appeals Panel ordered Canada Soccer to have the case re-investigated by an independent body.

The investigation, undertaken by Sport in Law on behalf of the Canada Soccer Ethics Committee, started anew with the 6 November 2019 decision and as of this week a conclusion of no prima facie case was recorded and therefore the decision of the Appeals Panel stands, which renders the case closed and does not provide for any appeal.
https://legacy.canadasoccer.com/stat...-1&language=en

Old 08-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #876
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBC will air 8 CPL games in 2020. They will show 2 games for each of the 4 Saturdays. Games shown are as follows:

- Saturday August 15, 2020 1:00 p.m. ET/2:00 p.m. AT)** York9 FC vs Atletico Ottawa
- Saturday August 15, 2020 3:00 p.m. ET/4:00 p.m. AT) HFX Wanderers FC vs Pacific FC
- Saturday August 22, 2020 2:00 p.m. ET/(3:00 p.m. AT)** York9 FC vs Valour FC
- Saturday August 22, 2020 4:00 p.m. ET/(5:00 p.m. AT) Forge FC vs Pacific FC
- Saturday August 29, 2020 1:00 p.m. ET/(2:00 p.m. AT)** Valour FC vs FC Edmonton
- Saturday August 29, 2020 3:00 p.m. ET/(4:00 p.m. AT) HFX Wanderers vs York9 FC
- Saturday September 5, 2020 1:00 p.m. ET/(2:00 p.m. AT)** Forge FC vs Valour FC
- Saturday September 5, 2020 3:00 p.m. ET/(4:00 p.m. AT) Cavalry FC vs York9 FC

https://canpl.ca/article/cbc-mediapr...s-island-games

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #877
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Just in time for the first game, the verdict on the racism allegations is out. If I understand this correctly, which I don't, there wasn't enough evidence to convict Reynders, as thus he is cleared of wrongdoing?

https://legacy.canadasoccer.com/stat...-1&language=en
In other words, the CSA didn't want to touch it from the start, was forced to, made a decision after much internal debate after 12 weeks and made sure the club was in lockstep and agreed with decision and the coach was stepping down post season.

Someone then put in some half assed appealed after the season (or was the season done yet?). Appeal took less time then the original investigation, and quietly in the middle of the offseason, the ruling was simply over turned.

Someone then realized that the appeal of overturning was initiated or arrived at far too casually, or onesided that it didn't pass even the faintest of smell tests, and/or, probably more likely, someone on the CSA board owed someone a favour on the Ethics in Sports board, because that body took (and billed someone) 9 months to look into the 6 week appeal after the 12 week original investigation.

So, after 65 weeks or so since the original incident, the CSA has hopes this has been finally swept under the rug, after a tepid response that has zero conviction behind it.

Of course besides the very troubling allegations which really haven't been properly addressed, it goes to show first hand, the extreme bureaucratic nature and shocking inefficiency of the sport's governing body, for an issue like this to take over 14 months to come to an inconclusive, confusing ending.

It's why soccer in this country is in the state it's in for the last 3 decades or more..
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #878
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot wait for tomorrow. I can't wait to see the Foot Soldiers and Cavs fans at the Rose and Crown tomorrow! I already told my girlfriend she has to wear Cavs gear, and that's non-negotiable
Old 08-13-2020, 07:00 AM   #879
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s finally here - Cavalry game day! Up the Cavs!
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 07:11 AM   #880
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

My daughter said her first words this morning! You can only imagine what a proud father I was when she looked at me and said...

"#### the Forge"

Let's get it...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:

Tags
fc edmonton is no good , footie , go cavs