Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #61
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
There have been 250 homicides in 2019 in Chicago. Mostly young black men.

Mostly gang related and in rough areas of the city, but I would have no interest living in a city with issues that large.
While I get what you are saying, people with lots of money are largely insulated from the realities of living in the dangerous parts of large US cities.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, Varlamov is a better goalie with a longer history of successfully starting.
Hes got a longer history, but its checkered with some pretty dodgy stats as well.

Hes had his chances and missed them, theres a reason he keeps bouncing around.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #63
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I am so happy that Canada has no racism or bigotry.

Nowhere is devoid of morons.

But while my post was a touch tongue-in-cheek I do honestly think that the differences in our countries would factor into my decision - which was more to the original point
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #64
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hes got a longer history, but its checkered with some pretty dodgy stats as well.

Hes had his chances and missed them, theres a reason he keeps bouncing around.
I don't know if I'd go as far as saying "bouncing around" (if you're talking about Varlamov and not Lehner).

He was backup in Washington for 2 years and the starter in Colorado for the last 8.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #65
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
There have been 250 homicides in 2019 in Chicago. Mostly young black men.

Mostly gang related and in rough areas of the city, but I would have no interest living in a city with issues that large.
How many hockey players, or even athletes period, are subject to this violence because they live in the same city this violence is happening?

Thats just a goofy take. These guys dont even see the areas where this stuff happens.

Chicago as an example is a GREAT city. Does it have warts? Yes....but all places do and when you are making at minimum 700,000 dollars a year, those warts almost entirely disappear unless you go looking for them.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #66
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I specifically mentioned the areas it happens and both replies somehow missed that entire paragraph.

I take pride in what is happening in my city. I wouldn’t expect that to change just because I had a lot of money. Others are different for sure.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #67
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
How many hockey players, or even athletes period, are subject to this violence because they live in the same city this violence is happening?

Thats just a goofy take. These guys dont even see the areas where this stuff happens.

Chicago as an example is a GREAT city. Does it have warts? Yes....but all places do and when you are making at minimum 700,000 dollars a year, those warts almost entirely disappear unless you go looking for them.
I don’t see how it’s a goofy take, the original question was to give an honest answer as to what you’d prefer. I did so.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #68
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Sorry Lehner fans for the de-rail,

------
As one example, I don't think people in those or any other areas legally having access to guns aren't of any concern to people with wealth. I don't mean to give anyone the impression that I view the States as a war zone, but unless I'm missing something in Canada, this would worry me a touch:
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/r.../mass-shooting

As if to put an exclamation point on the whole thing, 5 people were shot a few days ago in Chicago. So it doesn't take much scrolling through that list to find Chicago - and it's troubling how far you do have to scroll to get through the year. The shooting was also only 4 mins from the United Center
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...near-west-side
At the very least, if the decision came down to location this is something I'd take a look at.

Nevermind the state everyone is in lately. I have family in the States that say tensions are high and respect is low everywhere they look. People are triggered, stressed, and you have to turn a blind eye to the blatant racism you'll see everywhere - unless you want to go crazy or pick fights. I already have a hard time with the little bits and pieces I see around here, let alone in a nation that tolerates it.

------

So no, I don't think that Chicago would be the easy choice if that was what it came down to.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:59 AM   #69
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Canada is full of racism and bigotry, which was more my point.

I didn't mention murder in my post, because obviously the US has a lot of gun control issues. But Canada isn't great in that department either (Obviously much better than the US), but for example as per wiki..... Murders per capita in NYC is 7 per 100,000 and in Winnipeg it's 5 per 100,000.

edit - Chicago is terrible at 15.65 per 100,000.

also, don't get me started on healthcare, especially as a millionaire. Miles ahead in the US.
Those NYC Winnipeg numbers just tell you that both cities are among the safest on Earth.

America's issues are threefold: the guns, the racism and the health care. They have too many stadiums and not enough doctors for their people.

Maybe I've just been a normal person all my life, but I'd feel very strange knowing my job/position entitled me to medical care that less fortunate people were not allowed to access.

My grandfather had a quintuple bypass at age 74. He had no job, he had no money. He was at risk, but stable - they couldn't let him leave the hospital, because he could need surgery at any moment.

So he sat in a bed for months, waiting. He was monitored and cared for by competent professionals. When his turn came on the schedule, he was moved to the University of Edmonton hospital where a wizard of a surgeon performed a successful surgery that gave him another eight years.

My grandfather was a wonderful man. And he was nobody. He was treated with respect, care and his life wasn't ruined because he sought treatment from a hospital.

I think any society that doesn't believe every single person deserves medical care as an inalienable right is ####ing broken. That's not to say private enterprises can't offer medical services like MRIs etc. I get not wanting to wait months for a scan.

Medical care doesn't belong to the rich or the insured. Someone is hurt/sick/dying - help them. A principled opposition to helping the hurt/sick/dying is psychopathic.

Anyway, Robin Lehner to Chicago is a good deal for the Hawks. I liked Chicago, or at least what I saw of it. Boggles the mind how a place like Gary, Indiana can be 20 minutes away. (It actually doesn't when you account for systemic racism - the Gary Railcats stadium is unsurprisingly the nicest building in the town).

Hawks may have found a long term starter - Stan Bowman is a good GM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #70
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I make nowhere near as much as even an ELC player, but I'd love to live in Chicago for a while. I think I could keep safe. Ditto for NYC or LA.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #71
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I make nowhere near as much as even an ELC player, but I'd love to live in Chicago for a while. I think I could keep safe. Ditto for NYC or LA.
Chicago is easily the most overrated city I've ever spent time in. For some reason it gets a free pass for it's terrible weather. That constant damp freezing wind in the winter makes it feel like Winnipeg on a bad day.

The violence and crime is off the charts.

It's food scene is so overrated it boggles my mind. No street food of any quality at all, and it's high end dining pales in comparison to any other major North American city that I've ate in.

Oh, and how that noisy, dirty elevated train system is somehow considered a feature is beyond baffling. What a horrible eye sore.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #72
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Chicago is easily the most overrated city I've ever spent time in. For some reason it gets a free pass for it's terrible weather. That constant damp freezing wind in the winter makes it feel like Winnipeg on a bad day.

The violence and crime is off the charts.

It's food scene is so overrated it boggles my mind. No street food of any quality at all, and it's high end dining pales in comparison to any other major North American city that I've ate in.

Oh, and how that noisy, dirty elevated train system is somehow considered a feature is beyond baffling. What a horrible eye sore.
It has a great music scene, fine arts and sports of every type, generally in great facilities.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #73
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

As a native Chicagoan, I will say, yes,there are areas of the City that are unsafe, however, it is easy enough to avoid these areas. You will note, that, despite a huge amount of tourism, you rarely read about problems that they had with crime. Gang on gang crimes are, usually, limited to those residential neighborhoods.

However, as a note, if you do park on the side streets neat the UC, for a game, be sure to pay off the kid that offers to "watch your car, mister?"
Old 08-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #74
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1160261832864608257
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #75
kaddy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Maybe he chose the Hawks because a western suburb of Chicago has one of the best mental health facilities in the country
I don't actually make many posts, but what you said is disgusting. When you have to deal with a family member that has mental health issues come and see me.
kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #76
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaddy View Post
I don't actually make many posts, but what you said is disgusting. When you have to deal with a family member that has mental health issues come and see me.
What's the background behind both the original post and your outrage?

I feel as though I am missing something.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
MikePatton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikePatton For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #77
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
As a native Chicagoan, I will say, yes,there are areas of the City that are unsafe, however, it is easy enough to avoid these areas. You will note, that, despite a huge amount of tourism, you rarely read about problems that they had with crime. Gang on gang crimes are, usually, limited to those residential neighborhoods.

However, as a note, if you do park on the side streets neat the UC, for a game, be sure to pay off the kid that offers to "watch your car, mister?"
how much would you that kid? just curious. I'm terrible at these things, I either give way too little, or way too much.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:32 PM   #78
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Good to know the guy that did o pee Chee cards in the late 80s is still around.

browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #79
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Ha! Had to click the link to see the full photo and understand what was happening. But I chuckled.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #80
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Good to know the guy that did o pee Chee cards in the late 80s is still around.

To be fair, Moe Lemay did play for the Canucks.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote