Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #61
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I'd cheer for the players that I liked but not for the team. I'd cheer for the Jets.

I really don't want to think about the possibility of us moving though, it kills me
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #62
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would, but I would be pretty upset if they changed the emblem - which of course they would.
Moot question though. Flames are not leaving.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #63
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 09-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #64
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I'm going to be living here for awhile so yeah I guess I would still follow them big time and coach everyone around here about the players. I suppose I would be an active member of seattlepuck.com
Old 09-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #65
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Maybe I'd cheer for the Calgary Coyotes, who would be the local franchise like 10 minutes later.
Yes, because the NHL is going allow a team to move back to a city still
Without a rink. Comments like these are so ridiculous it takes any credibility away from the numerous good points you make. Be against public funding all you want, but thinking Calgary would quickly get a new team (if ever again at all) is ridiculous. Quebec City would be in line before them, and with the current Alberta economy, it wouldn't matter anyways.

I don't think the Flames are leaving, but If they did, we'd be without NHL hockey for likely 10-15 years if not permanently.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #66
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think the threats to move are a big bluff. There are a few cities out there that have or will have new stadiums but there are also a few NHL teams that would move before the Flames even came close to.

If the hypothetical doomsday scenario did come to fruition I would definitely still cheer for the team in Seattle however would go from a hardcore fan who attempts to watch every game and checks CP almost every day to a casual fan who would check the scores and watch the occasional game.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #67
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Without a rink. Comments like these are so ridiculous it takes any credibility away from the numerous good points you make. Be against public funding all you want, but thinking Calgary would quickly get a new team (if ever again at all) is ridiculous. Quebec City would be in line before them, and with the current Alberta economy, it wouldn't matter anyways.

I don't think the Flames are leaving, but If they did, we'd be without NHL hockey for likely 10-15 years if not permanently.
Bettman and the NHL governors wouldn't ever let a team move to Calgary unless a rink was built as a show of commitment. If we want to remain an NHL city the cheaper solution for the city is to try to come to an agreement with the team that we have now.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #68
nwflamesfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Most definitely. Probably look at season tickets being only a few hours drive.

Last edited by nwflamesfan; 09-12-2017 at 11:59 PM.
nwflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nwflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #69
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would cheer for the players that I have an attachment for to do well, but I would always cheer against the team if they moved.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 AM   #70
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a chance. I don't reside in Calgary, I actually became a Flames fan back in the early 80's as a child because I thought there logo was cool and nobody else liked them here. Yet I connect them to Calgary and I could never cheer for an American hockey team. The Flames are not moving and that is a great thing because otherwise I would probably end up a Leafs fan. I just can't picture cheering for the Flames if they are not the Calgary Flames, if they move to Seattle they will be renamed something stupid and that amazing logo that first attracted me as a child would be gone too.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 AM   #71
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a former employee of the Montreal Expos...

The Flames would be dead to me as well.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:45 AM   #72
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames move to Seattle or any other city I would abandon my support. Id be pretty upset, and most likely just follow the playoffs not cheering for anyone. It is what I do when I watch the NFL.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:50 AM   #73
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post

Let me clarify - there would still be a new arena deal on the table, that probably another ownership group would be happy to take.

Calgary is one of the strongest, most profitable hockey markets - downturn or not. I think it would be fast - other NHL owners would want a franchise here because they are net gain for the league generating revenues - unlike say, Arizona.

Also, I'm not against public funding.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:51 AM   #74
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Absolutely I would still be a Flames fan no matter what city they are in. My allegiance to the club has nothing to do with the City of Calgary itself. Nor did I choose or currently cheer for the Flames merely cause I live in Calgary. Local factors have zero relevance to my team selections.

Even if a new team were to come back years later, my team would still be the Flames no matter where they were located at the time. If the it was an S with flames on it, so be it. That is my team.

Last edited by soulchoice; 09-13-2017 at 07:58 AM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 AM   #75
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Let me clarify - there would still be a new arena deal on the table, that probably another ownership group would be happy to take.

Calgary is one of the strongest, most profitable hockey markets - downturn or not. I think it would be fast - other NHL owners would want a franchise here because they are net gain for the league generating revenues - unlike say, Arizona.

Also, I'm not against public funding.
The Flames actually received revenue sharing last year didn't they? They are in only a middle of the league team when it come to valuation, and they are a team that draws poorly on the road and are a regional team in a western time zone that very few people outside of southern Alberta watch on tv. They really aren't that important to the NHL despite what we want to think.

Given that, the Canadian dollar, and the cyclical nature of our economy I highly
Doubt the NHL would rush back here even with a brand new arena. That is without even considering what a vendictive prick Bettman is known to be.

I doubt they ever leave, but if they did, we'd be in real trouble.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:57 AM   #76
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So many loyal Flame and NHL fans here haha
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheOnlyBilko For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 02:09 AM   #77
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Absolutely. I've followed you the Raiders from LA to Oakland to Vegas. This will be a little different but given my dislike of the other Canadian teams it would be fairly easy to transition to being a fan of Seattle. If Calgarians don't want an NHL team it is what it is.
I'm a huge life long Raiders fan as well. A large part of the Raider Nation will remain a fan when they move to Vegas. The Raiders are definitely the team that will keep more fans out of any team that has move before. Even though Los Angeles has Chargers and Rams now I'd be willing to be that Southern California still has more Raider fans then either of these teams and they been gone for 23 years or so. If you are from Los Angeles you generally cheer for Raiders, Lakers, Dodgers, Kings. These 4 teams also have te big fanbase in Socal as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:17 AM   #78
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd follow them to Seattle as long as I can find similar employment or maybe an executive role with the new team. If Ken King can do it, I can. Seattles a great city and has a great culture and an entrepreneurial spirit.

Calgary hasn't evolved much but my taxes sure have. I'm bored with the blue ring and the sticks and rocks didn't do it for me. I just don't find either entertaining or to enhance my cultural experience.

FBI if you've got any jobs there I'm in. Lived here all my life and it's gotten bigger and much more expensive but definitely not better.
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willi Plett For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 02:20 AM   #79
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
No way.

I'm an Expos fan and the Nationals can rot in hell.
I wonder how many people in Winnipeg are still hardcore Phoenix Coyotes fans? Haha what about the people in Quebec City? You think the in love with the Aves these days?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:30 AM   #80
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
How many people in Quebec City follow the Avalanche today?

Best I can find so far:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/i...eneration-sex/
This makes 0 sense to the question "how many people in Quebec City follow the Avalanche?" Because te ENTIRE survey is only about Canadian teams.