Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you want Jagr in Calgary on a 1yr reasonable deal?
Yes 671 85.15%
No 117 14.85%
Voters: 788. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #881
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
How did the Flames not take advantage of the San Diego Gulls defense (Theodore and Montour) and the Ducks #7 Holzer ?
Because Theodore and Montour are former 1st and 2nd round draft picks the Ducks have developed exceptionally. Playoffs included both guys played more in the NHL then AHL last year. "San Diego Gulls defence". Both guys continued to play as the Ducks marched passed the Oilers too.

Somehow they protected Biseka?

Stop being such an obtuse goose and stripping things of any context whatsoever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #882
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Jagr play in that Calgary / Anaheim series?
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #883
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well they wasted a contract on a lost a step Brouwer, And over the hill and always been overrated Smith. Might as well add Jagr who has lost 2 steps
Old 09-20-2017, 08:35 AM   #884
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
And over the hill and always been overrated Smith.
It's been one game, peeps.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #885
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
Well they wasted a contract on a lost a step Brouwer, And over the hill and always been overrated Smith. Might as well add Jagr who has lost 2 steps
This team seems to make you angry. Perhaps you need another hobby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #886
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Until gulitzan flat out says it's not happening, I have faith

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Huh?
Look, if Jagr is contractually obligated to sleep on Gulutzan's couch its only fair that the man gets a say in the matter.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #887
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
It's been one game, peeps.
Which doesn't change anything if you consider Smith over the hill and Overrated. Which is basically what I think of Smith... I thought he was overrated long before he became a Flame and the aging curve isn't friendly to 35 year old athletes.

That's not to say that I think Smith is going to be a sub-.800sv% goalie, I don't. but the fact that he's played in only 1 game isn't by default any way to refute a claim that he's old (He is) or overrated (which depends on your evaluation of common sentiment and personal evaluation of Smith).
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #888
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Which doesn't change anything if you consider Smith over the hill and Overrated. Which is basically what I think of Smith... I thought he was overrated long before he became a Flame and the aging curve isn't friendly to 35 year old athletes.

That's not to say that I think Smith is going to be a sub-.800sv% goalie, I don't. but the fact that he's played in only 1 game isn't by default any way to refute a claim that he's old (He is) or overrated (which depends on your evaluation of common sentiment and personal evaluation of Smith).
All we need is consistent, average goaltending from he and Lack and the team will be fine. I don't think anyone was under some preconceived notion that Smith would be a top 10 or even 20 starter. I don't think he's being overrated at all.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #889
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
All we need is consistent, average goaltending from he and Lack and the team will be fine. I don't think anyone was under some preconceived notion that Smith would be a top 10 or even 20 starter. I don't think he's being overrated at all.
YMMV but if you're not even a top 20 starter then you're not average.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #890
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
YMMV but if you're not even a top 20 starter then you're not average.
So, what is "average"? If the cut-off is #15/16, then there is virtually no distinction between "above average" and "average." I tend to think that "average" is actually a very apt descriptor of the middle-third of a small group like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 09-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #891
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So, what is "average"? If the cut-off is #15/16, then there is virtually no distinction between "above average" and "average." I tend to think that "average" is actually a very apt descriptor of the middle-third of a small group like this.
Right... but if you're not even a top 20 starter then you're not in the middle third, you're in the bottom third.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #892
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You forgot to mention that Calgary was missing Gio and Hamilton for the series and were playing their 5/6 guys as top 4 and using AHL tweener guys as 5/6.

Oops that was the Ducks missing their #1 and #3 defensemen who combined played more than Gio/Hamilton over the regular season.

The Ducks line-up that swept the Flames would have had trouble making the playoffs ... they were missing 11.5M of cap space on their defense.

They were a better playoff team than the Flames. Somehow they protected Bieksa who for this series was a key player from Ferland. How did the Flames not take advantage of the San Diego Gulls defense (Theodore and Montour) and the Ducks #7 Holzer ?
That's right, it's not like the Ducks made the conference finals or anything like that.

Why is it that just about every disconnected rant you go on is a trainwreck?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #893
erikk3
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I feel like the Jagr naysayers must not realize that he would likely be the top RW on the Flames if signed
Old 09-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #894
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
That's right, it's not like the Ducks made the conference finals or anything like that.

Why is it that just about every disconnected rant you go on is a trainwreck?
You do realize that due to the break the Ducks got by sweeping the Flames their #1 Fowler was back for the whole Edmonton series.

#3 Vatanen was back for for the 3rd game of the series with the Oilers leading in games 2-0 having won 2 games in Anaheim.

In the 4 W's the Duck's needed to get past the Oilers they had their top-4 D all averaging over 20 minutes a game.

If ever there was a chance for the Flames to beat the Ducks it was in last years first round series.

PS sorry for being off topic but that series was so frustrating and makes me see more of a glass half empty....Sure there was crappy goal tending but there was none of the great Flame players that stepped up and refused to lose... Vertsteeg and Bennett were the only players that in my eyes were playing the way the whole team should have been.

This is my last post on that series

Trying to tie it into Jagr...... will he provide the Flames with heart and follow me leadership when they are faced with adversity? I think there is a better chance for Iginla to do that for a game or series.

Last edited by ricardodw; 09-20-2017 at 12:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #895
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You do realize that due to the break the Ducks got by sweeping the Flames their #1 Fowler was back for the whole Edmonton series.

#3 Vatanen was back for for the 3rd game of the series with the Oilers leading in games 2-0 having won 2 games in Anaheim.

In the 4 W's the Duck's needed to get past the Oilers they had their top-4 D all averaging over 20 minutes a game.

If ever there was a chance for the Flames to beat the Ducks it was in last years first round series.

PS sorry for being off topic but that series was so frustrating and makes me see more of a glass half empty....Sure there was crappy goal tending but there was none of the great Flame players that stepped up and refused to lose... Vertsteeg and Bennett were the only players that in my eyes were playing the way the whole team should have been.

This is my last post on that series

Trying to tie it into Jagr...... will he provide the Flames with heart and follow me leadership when they are faced with adversity? I think there is a better chance for Iginla to do that for a game or series.

As usual, despite all of your text and jumping from one thought to another four times within the same post... no, I have no idea what you're talking about.

It was a disappointing loss as Flames fan, but it was also the first place team in our division with home ice advantage and more experience playing a team that just squeaked in.

As you always are, you seem to be suggesting there is some inherent flaw with the Flames that you need to enlighten everyone on.

What we saw was a good young inexperienced team with terrible goaltending lose to a better more experienced team.

The sky isn't falling.

There is room for the Flames and their young core to grow. Your glass half empty syndrome is ever-present and unrelenting.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #896
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Aivis Kalniņš @A_Kalnins
Expect an announcement on where Jaromir Jagr will play on 5th of October, per his agent.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #897
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Aivis Kalniņš @A_Kalnins
Expect an announcement on where Jaromir Jagr will play on 5th of October, per his agent.
Flames play the 4th though haha
Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #898
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Aivis Kalniņš @A_Kalnins
Oh ####!

Who else has been rumored lately, even? Vegas?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #899
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Flames play the 4th though haha
Confirmed.

Calgary is out of the running /s

Does Calgaryboy have any insider information from the Czech Republic?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #900
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that when people can LTIR the injured players?
Closed Thread