Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #2321
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

How could Leicester blow it 2 years in a row? It seems impossible that they could absolutely collapse 2 years in a row. Did management learn nothing from last year?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #2322
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its not really rodgers fault

They have zero depth past the first 11, they dont have the budget, they are always gonna fade late in seasons when they have to push every week with the main guys

Tielemens especially really struggled the last month, and it's because he played literally every league game this year, for a midfielder that's almost unheard of
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #2323
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Ugh, would love to have Bale back next year. Perhaps this season could have been different if he was starting regularly earlier this season... perhaps
Wherever he plays next season I just hope he gets to play regularly
Old 05-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #2324
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cant wait for the conference league, no clue who else is in it, assume its weekly trips to Azerbaijan and north Macedonia
Old 05-23-2021, 01:23 PM   #2325
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Cant wait for the conference league, no clue who else is in it, assume its weekly trips to Azerbaijan and north Macedonia
I just looked it up. It's insane. 182 teams in it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021...ference_League

One team from nations 1 to 5
Two teams from nations 6 to 15
Three teams from the rest.
Plus teams dropping down from Europs League.
Spurs will enter at the playoff stage, to get into the 32 team group stage.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #2326
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really the most desirable destinations.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #2327
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Very true. West Ham fans must be over the moon with this season. I dont think anybody saw that coming.
Confirmed!
Old 05-23-2021, 08:39 PM   #2328
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Wherever he plays next season I just hope he gets to play regularly
He looked great after getting regular time
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #2329
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
He looked great after getting regular time
Well I think that’s more aptly *regular time. He’s at a point where he’s training something like 3 days a week and there are times he’ll say he’s not able to play. He’s still good when he’s out there and has that winner’s mentality, but he’s at the end of his career.

I’m a bit torn. It would be nice to have him back (and the Kane/Son/Bale/Dele front four looked like it might be awesome under a legitimate manager). At the same time, it’s pretty awesome that Bale’s last ever touch for us was a goal. If he goes to another league somewhere, I could live with that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #2330
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to say that was classic Spurs. Just when you thought they were done, they storm back to earn a trip to Astana or some such sunny destination, and help Chelsea in the process! You have to admit that was pretty Spursy.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #2331
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Have to say that was classic Spurs. Just when you thought they were done, they storm back to earn a trip to Astana or some such sunny destination, and help Chelsea in the process! You have to admit that was pretty Spursy.
The only thing that wasn’t spursy about it is that we still finished ahead of Arsenal.

But otherwise, yeah. We get the berth into a third rate competition, put Chelsea in the CL and somehow finish behind the circus of West Ham. Not a lot of positives there.

The only thing worse than playing in the third tier of Europe is missing out though!
Old 05-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #2332
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The only thing that wasn’t spursy about it is that we still finished ahead of Arsenal.

But otherwise, yeah. We get the berth into a third rate competition, put Chelsea in the CL and somehow finish behind the circus of West Ham. Not a lot of positives there.

The only thing worse than playing in the third tier of Europe is missing out though!
UEFA made a brand new European Tier just for Spurs.

For Spurs?

- Champions' League? Nope.
- Europa League? Nuh uh.

What do we do?

Whats the weather like in Uzbekistan?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #2333
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
UEFA made a brand new European Tier just for Spurs.

For Spurs?

- Champions' League? Nope.
- Europa League? Nuh uh.

What do we do?

Whats the weather like in Uzbekistan?
Lol, yeah I wouldn’t be crowing too loudly if I was Liverpool. It wasn’t exactly a stellar title defence...
Old 05-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #2334
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Lol, yeah I wouldn’t be crowing too loudly if I was Liverpool. It wasn’t exactly a stellar title defence...
It wasnt. And thats fine. These things happen. Lets not forget that its not like we lost the title to some scrubs or anything, the most expensive team on the planet won it.

Overall, after this nightmare of a season I'm just thrilled that not only did we finish in the Top 4 and qualified for the Champions' League, we finished 3rd!

Not too shabby all things considered over the course of this season.

Hey, when Spurs are playing in Dushanbe next year let me know, I've got some clients in Tajikistan who could maybe score you some tickets.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #2335
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Locke! You got your Stans wrong! Uzbekistan and Tajikistan are in Asia!

Old 05-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #2336
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

So this Conference League is insane. So I randomly looked at the Welsh League. The Champions get a spot in the Champions League and the next three teams get a spot in the Conference League.

So you'd think 2nd to 4th get into the Conference League. Noooooo. Like all good business propositions, let's have a PLAYOFF!
So 4th to 7th have a playoff to determine the final team that goes to the Conference League!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E..._Cymru_Premier

Old 05-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #2337
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feel sorry for those that lose out on being able to enjoy and appreciate the game and can't simply appreciate great management due to being blinded by bitterness.

Spent a significant time of their lives watching Fergie dominate due to buying the title and conspiracies by the PL refs and now we're back to the same old tired got nothing else to say tripe regarding the football that Pep has introduced to the PL being down to nothing more than money.

Put 20 managers in the same situation and none would come close to what he's created there. A tight cohesive unit all bought into the same system. Sure. A lot of top players but each as equally important than the rest.

I gotta just say congrats to City. By far the best team in England. Convincing winners when all the pre and early season hype here was the start of the new Liverpool dynasty. Shame they were tripped up by becoming the first team in PL history to suffer injuries.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #2338
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would also like to congratulate UAE on their PL title. Good job outspending the other clubs by insane amounts of money, buying feeder clubs around the world and escaping FFP sanctions. It’s really impressive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #2339
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

And there you have it. Case in point. Unable to enjoy the football because they're blinded by a victim mentality.

I would like to congratulate Spurs on their entertainment factor this year. Congrats on your 6-1 victory and good job on finishing above Arsenal. I'm sure they're devastated to miss out on 7th.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:52 PM   #2340
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh I’m not bitter about City winning at all. Truth be told, I’d prefer them over a lot of teams if it’s not us. I do like watching them because it’s basically an all star team. It’s not a victim mentality either. It’s just the obvious point that City is effectively owned by a nation-state, and spends an insane amount of money. We all know it, and it’s not being a victim to acknowledge that.