Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #341
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Cats has only taken $25 M (domestic) and $55 M worldwide. Budget was $95 M.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #342
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Early pick for bomb of the year.
Holy ####, its budget is $175 million.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #343
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Cats has only taken $25 M (domestic) and $55 M worldwide. Budget was $95 M.

Wow, that's uma Thurman motherhood levels of bad.

I'm betting that Vivid video has probably thrown the script for the XXX rated parody in the trash.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #344
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So has anyone seen CATS yet?
My brother saw it and said it was unintentionally hilarious. Hilariously bad
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:50 PM   #345
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Biggest issue with these Star Wars reboots is that the OT Fanboys couldn't handle TLJ (which IMO is still a good movie) and it derailed the whole thing due to how toxic that fan base is. Disney also made a mistake by trying to pander to them so hard. Even though I enjoyed TROS some stuff like deleting all Rose's scenes was a bad call IMO.
TLJ still a good movie? Just let it go man. Probably one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen. A good movie it was not. And I'm not a hardcore Star Wars fan. Just a complete and utter mess of a movie.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:00 PM   #346
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah I have no idea how Dolittle got greenlit, especially at that budget. RDJ is big but he's not gonna save that movie, it looks terrible and I'm honestly not sure what its target demo is supposed to be. I dunno what Universal is thinking these days... two enormous flops in about a month, with Cats being the first one.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:52 AM   #347
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think Dolittle will crash and burn that bad — it won’t pull huge domestic numbers but if it can even grab $75-$85M here, RDJ is enough of an international draw to at least break even on the budget.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #348
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Biggest issue is they haven't caught on with kids. None of my kids or their friends at school have any interest in Star Wars. They only went to the first two reboots because I dragged them there. Never ask to watch them on Netflix. Same with my friends and their kids, except the one guy who's a Star Wars nut and admits he has pushed Star Wars toys, etc. on his kid from day one because he wants him to share his fandom.

Contrast that with Marvel, which most kids go bananas over. They watch and re-watch the movies, play the videogames, dress up for Halloween, etc. I don't think I've seen a single kid in a Star Wars costume come to our door at Halloween.

Star Wars has become an adult franchise. A friend commented the other day that with the median Star Wars fan being a 32 year old, they may as well have made the reboots R rated.
Meanwhile, without any influence from me, my 10yr old has seen ROS 3 times and wants me to download it yesterday.

But ya, in general, I agree with your assessment.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #349
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Meanwhile, without any influence from me, my 10yr old has seen ROS 3 times and wants me to download it yesterday.
I don't have kids, but my buddy's 11 year old son really loves the movies, especially the new trilogy and the Mandalorian as well. Another friend took his Star Wars-obsessed kids (age 10 and 8) to Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland recently and apparently it blew their little minds. (his words).

I also saw lots of kids at the theatre both times I went to see Rise of Skywalker over the holidays. Star Wars may not be as massively popular as it was during its heydey in the 80s, and I agree it's not on the same level as Marvel these days. But there are obviously still plenty of today's kids who enjoy it.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #350
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I don't have kids, but my buddy's 11 year old son really loves the movies, especially the new trilogy and the Mandalorian as well. Another friend took his Star Wars-obsessed kids (age 10 and 8) to Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland recently and apparently it blew their little minds. (his words).

I also saw lots of kids at the theatre both times I went to see Rise of Skywalker over the holidays. Star Wars may not be as massively popular as it was during its heydey in the 80s, and I agree it's not on the same level as Marvel these days. But there are obviously still plenty of today's kids who enjoy it.
My 11 yo and 13 yo were pretty into the new trilogy and both wanted to go to on opening week to the last 2 movies. I wouldn't say they are huge fans, but they were more excited about going to this than most anything else this year.

Funny thing though is they both really enjoyed episode 8 more than the other 2. They liked the humour and characters in it and thought it was more fun that the others.

In a way they kinda killed the fun by trying to cater to the 40 yo Star Wars nerds, but the nerds hated it anyway!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #351
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is my predicted order of the 2020 domestic box office top 10:

1) WW84
2) Black Widow
3) Minions
4) Eternals
5) Fast and Furious 9
6) Bond 25
7) Tenet
8) Soul
9) Venom 2
10) Raya and the Last Dragon

The could be big hits or bombs category includes for me:

Ghostbusters
Top Gun
Dune
Godzilla vs Kong
Onward
Jungle Cruise
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #352
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't know Jungle Cruise was coming out. As one of the best rides in Disney I am excited. The trailer didn't look too shabby either and with the Rock involved it should at least be entertaining
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #353
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post

1) WW84
2) Black Widow
3) Minions
4) Eternals
5) Fast and Furious 9
6) Bond 25
7) Tenet
8) Soul
9) Venom 2

Ghostbusters
Top Gun
Dune
Godzilla vs Kong
Onward
Jungle Cruise
The bombs category is a b it all over the place. I don't see Jungle Cruise being a bomb. Dwayne Johnson is one of the most bankable actors right now. Even his absolute crap like Skyscraper and Rampage pulled a profit.

I don't think anyone expects movies like Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Top Gun 2, or Godzilla v. Kong to break records, but all 3 should be profitable to the point of not being bombs.

Of the comic book movies, I'm probably most excited for the Eternals. I love the cosmic Marvel stuff. Not sure how the general audience will respond.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #354
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I didn't know Jungle Cruise was coming out. As one of the best rides in Disney I am excited. The trailer didn't look too shabby either and with the Rock involved it should at least be entertaining
Exactly. I'll watch anything with the Rock in it.

As for Top Gun, I don't think there is a chance of it being a bust. I have no doubt it's going to make a fortune.
just for fun, I'll estimate at least 700 million worldwide.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #355
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Exactly. I'll watch anything with the Rock in it.

As for Top Gun, I don't think there is a chance of it being a bust. I have no doubt it's going to make a fortune.
just for fun, I'll estimate at least 700 million worldwide.
Top Gun $700 Mill WW is the new Joker $300 Mill, I hope Top Gun cruises past that mark!

I guess a better title would have been wild cards as their totals have a range of over 300M for me. I could see Kong vs Godzilla anywhere between $300 - $750 world wide

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 01-15-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #356
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Caught a movie at the Shawnessy Landmark yesterday, only 1 commercial before trailers & the movie started 17 mins after listed time.

Pretty sure Cineplex had 3 or 4 commercials and 23 mins before the actual movie starting.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:03 PM   #357
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Rise of Skywalker, Landmark Market Mall had 15 minutes before start time, the only kinda commercial was for the laser projector, the others were trailers. I only go every few years, so not sure if that is normal or not.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #358
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For Rise of Skywalker, Landmark Market Mall had 15 minutes before start time, the only kinda commercial was for the laser projector, the others were trailers. I only go every few years, so not sure if that is normal or not.

That's the theater I went to and it was amazing. Big plush reclining seats, ample room to walk around even with the seats reclined, each seat gets 2 cup holders, awesome picture and sound quality, and no ads. I can never justify going back to Cineplex now giving that the tickets are the same price
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #359
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post

1) WW84
2) Black Widow
3) Minions
4) Eternals
5) Fast and Furious 9
6) Bond 25
7) Tenet
8) Soul
9) Venom 2

Ghostbusters
Top Gun
Dune
Godzilla vs Kong
Onward
Jungle Cruise
Honestly this list doesn't have enough Disney representation. They had 7 of the top 10 domestic movies last year, and 5 of 10 in 2018. I doubt that changes this year.

Jungle Cruise is probably closer to the top 5 than a bust.

Disney marketing engine + theme park nostalgia + The Rock will likely be a good combination.

Mulan is another one that could be a big hit, the trailer looked actually good, and that's one that will probably get a lot of buzz.

Plus you are missing both Disney - Pixar movies "Onward" and "Soul". Maybe both of those don't get into the top 10 but I'm guessing at least one of them does. "Onward" is Tom Holland and Chris Pratt. "Soul" is Jamie Foxx , Tina Fey, with Trent Reznor doing the score. I wouldn't bet against either of those mixes.

Edit: No idea how I missed Soul in your list the first time. So I guess you are pretty close then with Soul, Raya, Eternals, and Black Widow. Honestly could be even more though.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-15-2020 at 04:46 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #360
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Big surprise... "Dolittle" is getting pulverized by critics.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote