Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #1981
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Add Edwin and/or Price and I might just start watching the Jays again.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:32 PM   #1982
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Wow I’m so stoked.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:22 PM   #1983
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I usually just read this thread without commenting, in part because I am a pretty casual fan, so I am not as familiar with the players as much as everyone else is, especially new signees. I am also not up on alot of the analytics, so I don't know what half of them mean and even when I do, I can't tell if they are good or not.

I have to admit, I know less than nothing about Ryu because I don't pay much attention outside of the Jays. Is he a guy that generates alot of ground balls? Because that kind of guy has to be more successful in Toronto than a fly ball pitcher.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:28 PM   #1984
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m hopeful that the new acquisitions will help the young Jays get a taste of winning. I suspect that the Jays are still quite far from being contenders but I am glad that they are trying to avoid letting Guerrero, Bichette, and Biggio sink into a team with a losing culture.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2019, 11:33 PM   #1985
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I’m hopeful that the new acquisitions will help the young Jays get a taste of winning. I suspect that the Jays are still quite far from being contenders but I am glad that they are trying to avoid letting Guerrero, Bichette, and Biggio sink into a team with a losing culture.
This. Lets shoot for more wins than losses as a minimum this (next) year and look to build on that.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 12-22-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #1986
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I usually just read this thread without commenting, in part because I am a pretty casual fan, so I am not as familiar with the players as much as everyone else is, especially new signees. I am also not up on alot of the analytics, so I don't know what half of them mean and even when I do, I can't tell if they are good or not.

I have to admit, I know less than nothing about Ryu because I don't pay much attention outside of the Jays. Is he a guy that generates alot of ground balls? Because that kind of guy has to be more successful in Toronto than a fly ball pitcher.
He is almost exactly a 50/50 guy for fly balls vs ground balls in his career.

His GB to FB ratio is 1.03.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #1987
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
He is almost exactly a 50/50 guy for fly balls vs ground balls in his career.

His GB to FB ratio is 1.03.
Thanks, I also found a site to look at some stats. It looks like in 2019 he was 4th best in the majors in in GB/FB ratio at 3.36, for comparison, Stroman finished at 2.97 last season.

In 2018 it was 1.93.

So hopefully this is a progression for Ryu and he can generate the same amount of ground balls in Toronto.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #1988
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

1- Bichette
2- Biggio
3- Vlad
4- Edwin
5- Gurriel
6- Grichuk
7- CF
8- 1B
9- Jansen/Reese

Ryu
Price
Roark
Shoemaker
Pearson

As long as Vlad shows up to Spring Training at 235 and not 265, the Jays should be competing for playoffs with that should those additions all happen.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #1989
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

We also get his wife in a Jays jersey as a signing bonus. So that's nice.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #1990
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right now it's Shaw at 1st base and Hernandez at CF. If EE comes in to DH, and Price as the #2, the only question is whether taking on Price will drop a decent OF in the Jays lap.

Getting Ryu and frontrunner for EE really turns the season around. Getting Price would make them a wildcard team, fighting with Tampa Bay. This would actually be a very fun season if everything falls into place.

All that happens and I'll lay off of Shatkins for a while. They would be buying a lot of currency with the fans.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #1991
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
We also get his wife in a Jays jersey as a signing bonus. So that's nice.
Wow. Ryu Hyun-jin for the win. Don't tell Zamler that she's a newscaster.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #1992
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to pick on anyone, but we really think this years' team even with Price will be a wild card contender? There will be a couple young guys who will likely regress after a year of scouting on them, plus we're still in the hardest division. I'm sure they're good for 10 wins more, but beyond that I'm not sure. Things don't jump that dramatically in baseball, and the holes in various parts in the roster shows me this is not a playoff contender in the next year at least. One extra year, and a couple extra moves, sure. Just not yet.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #1993
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot would have to go right for this team to be a wild card even with EE and Price IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #1994
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The effect of young players falling back from their rookie year has been reduced in the last 10 years by full season training and player specific analytics. Smart players arn't seeing as much drop off (on the hitting side, pitchers there is definitely fluxuation). I think that Biggio in particular will be much better this year, and Vlad at the major league level is getting a tonne of attention by Jays staff.

It really is gambling with this team, but the floor is really low, and the ceiling really high.

Boston and NY have the division locked up, but Tampa Bay got really lucky last year, and have a lot of the same question marks that Toronto has. Absolutely, everything has to go right, but they could end up a relevant team near the end of the season.

Anyway, it's the first ray of hope since AA left, so why not bask in it?
Old 12-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #1995
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Even if they don’t make the wildcard spot it still is a major indication that the front office is serious about fielding a competitive roster, which is all I really wanted to see. It’s really not fun watching Edwin Jackson etc pitch for your favourite team multiple times.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #1996
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be amazing if the Benintendi being attached to Price rumors were at all true.

If that happened with him in the OF, and Shaw at 1B that lineup you have above becomes pretty formidable.

1- Bichette - SS: 2.1 WAR
2- Biggio - 2B: 2.8 WAR
3- Vlad - 3B: 2.1 WAR
4- Edwin - DH: 2.7 WAR
5- Gurriel - OF: 1.7 WAR
6- Grichuk - OF: 0.3 WAR (2.2 in 2018)
7- Benintendi - OF : 1.7 WAR (3.9 in 2018)
8- Shaw - 1B: -0.9 WAR (4.1 IN 2018)
9- Jansen - C: 1.0 WAR

Ryu: 5.3 WAR
Price: 1.9 WAR
Roark: 2.0 WAR
Shoemaker: 1.2 WAR
Pearson: 0.0 WAR

That's a 23.9 WAR lineup based on the 2019 WAR for each player, with Grichuk, Shaw, and Binintendi all having bounce back potential on top of that.

Last year for WAR by team Houston was first at 31.7 and LAD were 2nd at 22.4.

That would be an ultra talented lineup for sure. It doesn't mean anything on the scoreboard, and there would be no guarantee they would all be able to put it together on the field, but the talent would be there.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-23-2019 at 03:01 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #1997
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I'm not going to pick on anyone, but we really think this years' team even with Price will be a wild card contender? There will be a couple young guys who will likely regress after a year of scouting on them, plus we're still in the hardest division. I'm sure they're good for 10 wins more, but beyond that I'm not sure. Things don't jump that dramatically in baseball, and the holes in various parts in the roster shows me this is not a playoff contender in the next year at least. One extra year, and a couple extra moves, sure. Just not yet.
The lineup is solid. The core might have ups and downs but they're too good to have it ruin a season.

Did the Jays even have a major league starter after August? Maybe on paper, but nobody who started a game for Toronto in September would've made anybody's post season roster.

Three major league starters (pre Price) goes a long way. Add Price, you've got four new starters, plus Pearson, plus Shoemaker, plus Waguespack, plus.

That'll make a difference. Biggio's not gonna forget how to read the zone, Vlad and Bo are still gonna mash.

The bigger question is, will MLB juice the balls next year?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:39 AM   #1998
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Also Ryu is a hilarious guy. He's a riot on Korean variety shows. I hope he brings that fun, carefree attitude to the clubhouse.

Last edited by GirlySports; 12-24-2019 at 07:21 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #1999
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The lineup is solid. The core might have ups and downs but they're too good to have it ruin a season.

Did the Jays even have a major league starter after August? Maybe on paper, but nobody who started a game for Toronto in September would've made anybody's post season roster.

Three major league starters (pre Price) goes a long way. Add Price, you've got four new starters, plus Pearson, plus Shoemaker, plus Waguespack, plus.

That'll make a difference. Biggio's not gonna forget how to read the zone, Vlad and Bo are still gonna mash.

The bigger question is, will MLB juice the balls next year?

It's not that guys are going to forget to read the zone, it's that scouting and game theory comes into play a bit more when teams start to pick apart players. I personally still maintain this team has gained about 10 wins, but being the division their in, the regression of at least a couple younger guys (naturally which they'll have to work through), and the holes in the OF which will probably be addressed next year when it's a little more clear who is on the team long term, and who is minor league fodder. I am positive that they'll be working toward something better, but it's tough in this division to improve dramatically with just one major signing.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #2000
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Slugger Edwin Encarnacion and the Chicago White Sox are in agreement on a one-year deal for $12 million with a club option for 2021 at $12 million, sources told ESPN.

The deal was first reported by Dominican journalist Yancen Pujols.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...2-million-deal