Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #41
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye View Post
I have been toying with getting those books every time I stop at Chapters. I may have to finally pick those up.
I'd highly recommend it. Those are must read books.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #42
SaskaBushFire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Loved Storm of Swords, I just finished reading that a while ago.

Right now I'm reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, on the 3rd Book, "The Dragon Reborn". Always heard the hype surrounding it, but never actually sat down and read it until now. Pretty good so far, but I gotta say it isn't quite as good as A Song of Ice and fire.
WoT is AWESOME, I loved that series so much. Trust me, around book 5 you will be very glad you read that series.

The Black Company by Glen Cooke is a great series as well, there are 10 or 11 books total, fairly short, 200-300 pages each, the later ones get around 400 or so, so the series can be read fairly fast. I liked it because it was very unique, it doesn't hold up to a lot of the more main stream series but if you want a change of pace then TBC is definately a great read.

Caramon did you try any Ebberon books? I read The Dreaming Dark 3 book series, and while it was once again unique I wasn't to impressed. It reminded me a lot of Dragonlance, very second tier writing. I look forward to checking out A song of Ice and Fire, I had a friend mention it to me a while ago but school was hectic at the time and I totally forgot I planned to read it. I've been reading history books waiting for a new series to pop out at me... never thought to ask on CP
Old 03-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #43
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Jiri, I've always been interested in Hell's Angel's stuff as well, let me know if that's any good.
So far its not that great to be honest. I've been told this guy is the definitive author on the Hell;s Angels stuff, but The Road to Hell (which I believe you read as well) is much better.

This book reads like a series of police reports...some interesting stuff here and there but very repetitive. I'm going to give it another few chapters and see if it improves.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm reading "Who's war is it anyways" by J L Granatstein, the same guy who wrote who illed the Canadian Military, and a complete history of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Pretty interesting stuff that studies Canada's defense and foreign policy issues and how they balance versus Canada's anti-american sentiment, a multicultural society and a pacifist Quebec sentiment.

Pretty interesting book.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #45
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
So far its not that great to be honest. I've been told this guy is the definitive author on the Hell;s Angels stuff, but The Road to Hell (which I believe you read as well) is much better.

This book reads like a series of police reports...some interesting stuff here and there but very repetitive. I'm going to give it another few chapters and see if it improves.
Perhaps you're a little like me, and like to read crime books in general? I saw a Mafia book the other day at Chapter's and almost picked it up. True inside stories from inside the mob. Can't remember the title of it though!
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #46
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

right now i'm reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. very entertaining read, notsomuch in the story itself but by how the author tells it. if you like anything dealing with WWII, cryptography, or conspiracy stuff with a humorous twist then i highly recommend it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #47
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskaBushFire View Post
Caramon did you try any Ebberon books? I read The Dreaming Dark 3 book series, and while it was once again unique I wasn't to impressed. It reminded me a lot of Dragonlance, very second tier writing. I look forward to checking out A song of Ice and Fire, I had a friend mention it to me a while ago but school was hectic at the time and I totally forgot I planned to read it. I've been reading history books waiting for a new series to pop out at me... never thought to ask on CP
No, never did manage to read any of the Ebberon books.

But yeah, pretty much any Dragonlance not named the Chronicles or War of the Souls is all 2nd tier writing.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #48
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tipping Point
Wikinomics

Bleh for both, enough of those "sky is blue" boooks. If you've read Freakonomics don't bother with Tipping Point.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #49
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished The Great Escape and Hostage, and I've just started Tretiak...obviously, its his autobiography...it seems kinda mechanical though...he's a very serious person
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #50
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Tuesdays With Morrie
Old 03-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #51
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Broca's Brain: Reflections on the Romance of Science - Carl Sagan.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #52
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kristallnacht: Prelude to Destruction
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #53
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Loved Storm of Swords, I just finished reading that a while ago.

Right now I'm reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, on the 3rd Book, "The Dragon Reborn". Always heard the hype surrounding it, but never actually sat down and read it until now. Pretty good so far, but I gotta say it isn't quite as good as A Song of Ice and fire.
I absolutely love the Wheel of Time, I've read through the entire series about six times now. The newer books still aren't as good as his early ones but the last two have at least picked it up a bit. I'm also a huge fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, I still haven't read Martin's newest one but that's just because I've been reading too much else of late.

Have you ever read Robbin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy? If you like Martin and Jordan, you'll probably like that as well (although be warned, her books are incredibly depressing).

I'm finally getting through Mieville's The Scar and I can see why some people think he's the best fantasy author out there right now.
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #54
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPlayoffs06 View Post
I

I have a hard time finding new authors because not many people I know read my genres (fantasy and horror), and the little story synopsis on the backs of books never tell me enough. Im compulsive about finishing books I've started before beginning another, no matter how bad they are, so I fear starting a crappy book because it usually winds up taking me a few months to finish it because I have no desire to read it.
I have no clue what you've already read (or if you're interested in finding a few new authors) but here are a few suggestions for you:

China Mieville - Perdido Street Station, The Scar
Robbin Hobb - The Farseer Trilogy
Stephen King - The Dark Tower (I'm guessing you've read this)
Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
Neil Gaiman - American Gods
Isaac Asimov - The Foundation Series

I have no clue how many of those you've already read but I'm a big fan of the Wheel of Time and I absolutely love all those books/series' as well. Feel free to ask any questions if you want.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #55
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Have you ever read Robbin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy? If you like Martin and Jordan, you'll probably like that as well (although be warned, her books are incredibly depressing).
No, I haven't, but I'll pick that up for sure. Part of the reason I loved Martin's books is because they were pretty depressing and dark, I'll definately check this out for sure.

Feast for Crows leaves you feeling a bit empty inside to be quite honest. It is only half a story (only half the characters make it in) and if you're anything like me, you're favorite storylines weren't in it (Tyrion). I'd wait until A Dance with Dragons comes out before I pick it up, I have a feeling it will be out in the next 6 months or so, at least so you get the complete experience.

Quote:
I'm finally getting through Mieville's The Scar and I can see why some people think he's the best fantasy author out there right now.
Definately give me an update when you finish that. I'm always looking for more Fantasy to start reading, especially good ones.

I actually enjoyed the Eragon/Eldest novels too, pretty solid writing, especially in Eldest. I have a feeling Paolini will have a really good career ahead of him. You can see the writing progression in his work, just from the first book to the 2nd book.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #56
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No, I haven't, but I'll pick that up for sure. Part of the reason I loved Martin's books is because they were pretty depressing and dark, I'll definately check this out for sure.

Feast for Crows leaves you feeling a bit empty inside to be quite honest. It is only half a story (only half the characters make it in) and if you're anything like me, you're favorite storylines weren't in it (Tyrion). I'd wait until A Dance with Dragons comes out before I pick it up, I have a feeling it will be out in the next 6 months or so, at least so you get the complete experience.
Well, I've never been as depressed after reading a book as when I finished off Hobb's Farseer Saga. They're not nearly as dark as Martin's books but they're just as sad if not more depressing.

I've heard some bad things about A Feast for Crows but I'll get to it eventually. I bought it the first week it was released but I'm going to have to re-read the series at some point and I was sort of hoping I could hold out until he releases the next book in the series. I probably won't be able to wait that long though.

Quote:
Definately give me an update when you finish that. I'm always looking for more Fantasy to start reading, especially good ones.
Well, I'm about 100 pages from the end and it's easily one of the best books I've ever read. Mieville definitely isn't for everyone but I absolutely love his style of writing and the way he blends a variety of different genres into his writing is really neat. I was hooked after I was about 30 pages into Perdido Street Station.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #57
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Player Paino by Kurt Vonnegut.

I have about 10 books to read after that one, I need to pick up the pace.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:48 PM   #58
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm reading Feed My Dear Dogs and holy man is it taking forever. The language is just ridiculous and I can't get into it. I have a problem though in that I can't just leave a book halfway through without finishing it, but man oh man. I must've finished about 10 books between the time I started it and now, and I'm only half way through it.

However, I'm sure some of you remember my thread on which book are you? Well I was "Loosely Based" so I read it. Yeah. It's odd. An interesting book, but I'm still scratching my head over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #59
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

The World is Flat - A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Friedman

Absolutely amazing book on globalization - really opened up my eyes...the author gives a good synopsis (or introduction) to this topic in this MIT presentation

http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/266/
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #60
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

bump

What does everyone got their nose into these days?

I am currently into The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, I just moved into book 6. So far I absolutley love this series, I have a hard time putting them down.

Next up after the Wheel of Time is the 3 Bourne books by Ludlum & the 4 sequals by Eric Van Lustbader. Anyone read these 4 sequals?