Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #41
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Dumb question - how do Tacomas run in the winter? Calgarybean mentioned sand bags, is it really that bad for traction?

Being a pickup truck (and lighter than a full size at that), they can inherently get a little more skiddish on slippery roads with nothing in the back, but a decent set of tires and the ability to toss it in to 4x4 makes it a non-issue. It’s a fun beast in the winter!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #42
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, you can avoid all those problems with some cheap accessories, too, though. I bought an Inno pod for my Sienna off Kijiji for peanuts. I have a hitch bike rack as well, although to be honest I cheaped out on it and it sucks so bad I hate using it. Spend more if you go that route.

I think if he's going to camp a lot, a 4Runner is actually an awesome idea. Make some black out blinds and throw a chunk of foam in the back and you can have a killer set up. I have camped in my minivan a bunch and it's awesome...when I wake up, I just hit my remote starter and voila, toasty warm. That is so much better than a roof top tent. Plus bears can't get you.
For me an Thule box/inno is a total PITA. I hate loading them on anything taller than a car and on an SUV I wouldn't be able to get into my garage or the parkade at work without taking it off.

Back country trips I carry at least 50L of extra fuel which I'm not carrying in a cab or SUV, or roof box.

Also, using a 4runner to camp is fine, but I'd still rather do it in a truck with a topper. A 4runner with all the seats folded down basically gives you a 2-seater with a 5'5" box. A truck with a topper gives you a 5-6 seater with a 6' box.

As to the bear comment, I put food in the cab in a bear proof cooler, along with anything with a heavy scent. Another reason I like the separation. Bears have torn into many a car, a rooftop tent might actually be safer in that respect. However I'm personally not a fan of truck tents but YMMV.

To the OP, I've done the SUV route and went to the truck/topper route. The 4runner might be a good option for you, but I found the truck/topper to be infinitely more versatile and wouldn't go back myself.

Since you mentioned mountain biking, take a look at North Shore Racks. The shuttle style rack is pretty sweet.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post: